Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'm 19, going to be a soph in college, and have no fucking clue what im doing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SyndicateRacing
GO down south an become a teacher 70k plus a bunch of teachers I have known have done exactly that south pay sucks unless your a teacher an 55k starting for a electrical engineer you must be giving some really low numbers I work with electrical and Civil engineers an my fathers a mechanical engineer my boss is makeing well into the 6 figures a year an he's a electrical engineer and Cvil engineers if you are in the right light are make well into the exp if you you work for the army core of engineers who are always hireing....

Sorry I am not understanding your point; are you saying teachers down south make 70K a year? There are many places to obtain pay information by occupation and here is one example:

http://www.careerinfonet.org/oview5....p=1&showall=no

I have many friends who live in the south that are teachers (elementary - highschool) and they do not make 70K; in fact, the data in that url does not reflect any teaching positions earning that level of pay.

If there is a place where teachers make 70K a year here in the south let me know so my wife can apply.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

from what ive seen most people who dont know what to do in college just go for psychology,
Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If i were you, I would become a history teacher. Heres why
1. You like history (very important)
2. Teaching others is a gift and privilege
3. Benefits, benefits, benefits, state workers always get the best benefits
4. Summers off (you can use this time for hobbies and enjoy your life lol)

***If your gonna follow the teacher path, I would suggest starting a Roth Ira account and just piling in the money. **** start one now, I did am im 21(started at 20 and got 3,000 in now)
If you can put in around 50,000 by the time your 65,(just over a grand a year which is really nothing) you can have a sweet retirement package (around a million dollars) to live off of and enjoy the rest of your life doing what you want. It won''t cost you much, and is one of the smartest options for a teacher. Spend the rest of your money living how you want because you'll be collectcing so much interest on your IRA that you wont have to save ****. *** think about it!!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roth ira? what is that exactly? u have to be a teacher?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-its an individual retirement account(ira).
-Almost any bank will offer them with different interest rates. Go online and read up on them, or stop at your bank and ask about what they can offer.
-The interest is compunded continuously. The stipulation is that you can't touch the money until your 65. or they f*ck you realy bad with penalties.
-No you don't have to be a teacher, almost anyone can start one as as long as you don't make over a certain salary a year. Its around 120k for a single person, 140k for married couple. Don't worry teachers wont ever make that lol.
-It makes sense to do this because with the way things are getting, there will be no social security when we retire and many companies are doing away with pentions, etc. You will be responsible for your own retirement funds, so why not start now and be smart about it. good luck!!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and did i mention its tax free
Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

you want to make good money?
get into sales.
From my experience (I'm 25 with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree) its hard as all hell to get a good paying job out of university/college becuase of this thing called experience. More so our (young people) lack there of.
Sales however basically completely bypasses that requirement, especially the good sales positions. Its called commission. The nice thing about that for employers isthat if you don't produce, they don't pay you. Not bad for them, good for you if you can do it.
I've been in sales since I graduated in 2004 and its the only way I could make $100k+/year at age 24. It can be stressful becuase of the ups and downs, but when you have a month that you make $20k you feel pretty damn good
That's my thought at least. Go for business. Its so widely applicable that you can really choose to do whatever you want afterwards and apply your knowledge to that industry.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

A lot of times, the best path would be to get an open ended bachelors, make sure to get good grades. Then you can go for a masters that will be more focused, and most likely line you up for one hell of a job.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea my mom was talkign to me about an IRA awhile ago... its sounds toog ood to be true... whats the minimum u have to put in the account?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you gotta put in like 10g's by the time you retire, might be wrong. OTherwise you can put as little as you want in there, but you'll yield lower resulting funds. However, there is a maximum per month. Most banks or financial institutions will specifiy this for you. It may be different from bank to bank. My advice is to go talk to your bank, they'll tell you everything you need to know.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

I didn't bother to read all the post, so sorry if someone already mentioned it....anyways as said many times, try to get into an area where you naturally excell. Otherwise I would recommend anything in the healthcare field and I dont mean just Doctors. Radiology, nursing, etc. You'll always have a job, always will pay decent, great benefits, work anywhere in the world etc...... Healthcare always has demand