Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Officially a Full time Trailer queen...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Officially a Full time Trailer queen...

Well as some of you know I like to travel to and from the track with a trailer to keep the miles low on the GTO and of course incase something happens on the 1320' strip. So I have a few races coming up, HA starting my season a "tad" late on Sunday at NED. Then I am attending the GTO Showdown at Cecil County in MD. Following that I am headed back to good ole Jersey to race at Atco on Nov. 1st with a large group of GTO owners.

I didn't really want to rent a trailer from U-haul but that was quickly becoming my only way to trailer the car because the people I have borrowed trailers from in the past either sold the trailer, they're using their trailer or they simply have not gotten back to me about using one.... So my search began sometime Tuesday to locate a trailer for a decent deal, I found one about 2 hours away, brand new 18' w/dovetail, LEDs, Radial tires the whole bit... I was set on going to pick it up despite the price. Then I started thinking screw that, let me see if I can save a few bucks with a used one on Craigslist... Whooop found one only 40 minutes away and picked it up today.
It's a 2006 Welch (local builder), 18' open-pit tandem axle low-boy. Nothing special by any means but will get the job done nicely. Hell I might even need a drop hitch for my stock height truck for this sucker.... 7000lb. GVW, break-away safety kit, slide in ramps, electric brakes etc... I will probable add a few lights to it most likely LED's for safety. So there it is, no more worrying about people coming through for me to borrow, no renting at all and come/go as I please without hassle.

So sure this might put off modding the car a little bit longer but I'm ok with that especially since I only did drag springs and replaced my Weld Pro Stars with Bogarts since last November at Atco, oh I bought cat-less mid pipes too that I am yet to weld the bung into for my wideband O2.... The goal in mind, is 10.80s pretty much as the car sits (maybe a little more timing if needed)!

Moving on......

Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Very nice setup, your good to go man!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet trailer!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What did ya pay for it, because I may be putting mine up for sale very soon, very similar to it, just made by Bri-mar.

I have a decision to make, either sell it now, or let it sit all winter and probably 1/2 of next summer until I have the bigger truck to tow the big trailer, and then sell it... I'm thinking selling it after I'm done for the season would be a better move, just sit on the $ until I'm ready to buy the new/newer enclosed one.

Nice find though, it looks like it's in good shape
Old 09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

yea thats exactly the trailor im looking for! how much did u get it for? ahhhh iw ant that trailor dammit! hahaha congrats on the buy tho
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Nice

Now I might get to see you this year!

What kinda truck was that in the picks ?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by My 04 Goat
Nice

Now I might get to see you this year!

What kinda truck was that in the picks ?

The truck in the pic towing the trailer is my daily driver.... 2000 Silverado 1500, that I haven't driven more than 3 times since April. LoL I've been letting my brother-in-law use it and I have been enjoying the car and the Harley all summer!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

congrats on the trailer. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
yea thats exactly the trailor im looking for! how much did u get it for? ahhhh iw ant that trailor dammit! hahaha congrats on the buy tho
Keep an eye out, mine might be for sale in a couple months.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn that trailer is perfect for your car!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

The trailer is in great condition for being 2 years old. Build date was 8-1-06 according to the tag and Title. I think I got it for a decent price at $1950. Over the winter or early spring I will get out the wire-wheel and rattle cans to freshen it up where needed, maybe add some LED lighting and from there just keep it up so it will last me a while or until I want to upgrade. The car fits well on it for sure, plenty of room for long straps, just wish it had D-rings. Only other thing I will modify is the driver side fender so I can open my door without having to pull so far forward..... Otherwise I think it was a decent deal.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Race your car!

My brimar is a 2006, I bought it last year it was a year old. It's got LED lights on it everywhere, I can open my door with no problems and my car sits about 2 inches lower then stock, I do use a set of boards to start geting the car up in the air though. I put a collapseable front leg on it so it wouldnt'bottom out in my driveway, but other then that it's mine. Of course, it has some rust on it from the wear and tear that trailers get, but I'm gonna do the same, brush it up and hit it with some paint this fall. Mine has d rings on it welded on the inner rails that have worked out really well.

I paid 2300 out the door with the taxes, regiatration, straps and the collapseable leg, ball and reciever.

I think when I put it up for sale, I'll probably put a price of 1700 on it, and see if I get any takers. It's only 1700 lbs unloaded, and for an 18 footer that's pretty light.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So,now that you have a trailer we can finally turn the tune on the car up
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Good deal Todd. Danno and I have been talking about getting something like that for a while now. How much clearance do you need to get the door past the wheel well? JL's idea with the 2x's under the wheels might be enough for you. Congrats for sure.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
So,now that you have a trailer we can finally turn the tune on the car up
Yes that sounds like a good idea... only I don't have money for a motor yet if something were to let go... blah winters coming anyhow right!!

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
Good deal Todd. Danno and I have been talking about getting something like that for a while now. How much clearance do you need to get the door past the wheel well? JL's idea with the 2x's under the wheels might be enough for you. Congrats for sure.
Well the bottom of the door is close to 11 inches off the ground and the fender is 13" tall... 2x's would probably do the trick. I can just pull forward a litte more like in the picture and the door opens perfectly. But I'll probably get creative and hinge the fender so it will swing down and out of the way enough to clear the door all the time.

Thanks guys! I just got in from registering it and getting a new title. I also just made sure the drop hitch my brother has, would work with his lifted truck and it's gonna be perfect! I can't wait to start ripping through the gears Sunday. Tomorrow the wheels get swapped to the Bogarts, the oil gets changed, the Methanol gets topped off, the car gets washed and the driver's side headlight gets taken out... I can already hear it... time to go home since you have no roll bar!!! LoL Who know's what the car will do in the nice chilly air we should have Sunday morning!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My brimar is a 2006, I bought it last year it was a year old. It's got LED lights on it everywhere, I can open my door with no problems and my car sits about 2 inches lower then stock, I do use a set of boards to start geting the car up in the air though. I put a collapseable front leg on it so it wouldnt'bottom out in my driveway, but other then that it's mine. Of course, it has some rust on it from the wear and tear that trailers get, but I'm gonna do the same, brush it up and hit it with some paint this fall. Mine has d rings on it welded on the inner rails that have worked out really well.

I paid 2300 out the door with the taxes, regiatration, straps and the collapseable leg, ball and reciever.

I think when I put it up for sale, I'll probably put a price of 1700 on it, and see if I get any takers. It's only 1700 lbs unloaded, and for an 18 footer that's pretty light.

come time to sell, i might be interested
Old 09-26-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Default Update

So per suggestion I ended up using 2x12"s under the driver side tires to lift the door above the fender. At some point I will be modifying the fender so this won't have to be done.
It worked like a charm though. Thanks Guys!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nice buy Speedy! Your car has been coming along very nicely this year!! Good luck with your upcoming races too!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speedy0009
So per suggestion I ended up using 2x12"s under the driver side tires to lift the door above the fender. At some point I will be modifying the fender so this won't have to be done.
It worked like a charm though. Thanks Guys!
I'm curious to see how you end up modifying the fender though.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
I'm curious to see how you end up modifying the fender though.

I'll take some pictures if I remember to when the time comes. I think I am just going to make the top half, 3-6" or so removable. Probably draw a careful line, cut the fender into two pieces leaving the bottom rigid, weld or bolt some plates to the top half then use pins or nuts and bolts for easy removal..... easiest and most stury way I can think of!

Had some 1/2" D-rings welded on the trailer today... Much less worry of Fraying straps now!!

Maryland Here We Come!!!