Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

any computer guys here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nvm, that error went away after 3rd attempt.. didn't fix problem though, smooth sailing tell i get to the ren SoftwarDistribution step. then it says access denied.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

i can get online now though.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

still no volume on my account though. my other name has volume.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model is the computer 1meantransam. The computer has a built in system restore feature. Usually its CTRL + F11 when you see the very first dell logo or www.dell.com comes up. It will restore it to factory settings, hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Dell Vostro 1500... the Ctrl F11 didn't do anything. and when i tried doing a restore earlier it didn't work (in safe mode)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
Dell Vostro 1500... the Ctrl F11 didn't do anything. and when i tried doing a restore earlier it didn't work (in safe mode)
Just looked it up for ya, you want to keep tapping F8 when you turn on the computer, eventually you'll see these options (and several others). It will restore it to factory so any data you have will be lost just FYI.

Repair Your Computer (this is the one you want to use)

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

^ already tried this. can't get it to do a restore, something to do with windows.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

^ already tried this. can't get it to do a restore, something to do with windows.
Did it come with any Cd's?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.geekstogo.com
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

I had a virus one time that I couldn't get rid off. I had to reformat the harddrive and re-install everything.

Not too hard to do. Thats when I learned though that it is a good idea to keep your software an systems disks properly stored and available along with their registration numbers.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Easton, I didnt read all the replies here so I dont know the latest but...

In another thread you mentioned you may come over and help me and my buddy out with my cam swap. We will hopefully be starting this next weekend Mar 13-15. If you can wait that long just bring your laptop and we'll try to take care of it for ya. We're both Software Engineers. I have a version of Windows XP Pro that doesnt require a license.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by medwar11
I have a version of Windows XP Pro that doesnt require a license.
Unless its a dell OEM disc, it will not allow him to use windows updates and security updates which are important with Windows XP. with the svchost.exe it could be many instances of a problem as 2-12 svchost.exe's run at the same time and all do different things. With it being Windows XP, that would mean its roughly 2-3 years old unless you did a downgrade on a windows vista unit. I would make sure your hardware is intact first before you play around with software. I would not recommend using the "free" online scanners because they will end up being more of a hassle then helping you detect and remove infections. They are all garbage and come along with hefty adware. I would find someone around you that has a boot disc that could properly diagnose the hardware and then go from there. What type of anti-virus/internet security are you running now by the way? Also anything like limewire/frostwire/bearshare on the machine?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

i tried f12 and it brings up

Internal hdd

cd/dvd/cd-rw drive

oboard NIC

Bios setup
diagnostics. anything i can do there?
ya F12 is only the boot menu for Dell computers. It is mainly Ctrl-F11 on Windows XP dell computers but if that is not working the partition may be locked and youd have to use Norton Ghost or Partition magic to be able to use it
Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by medwar11
Easton, I didnt read all the replies here so I dont know the latest but...

In another thread you mentioned you may come over and help me and my buddy out with my cam swap. We will hopefully be starting this next weekend Mar 13-15. If you can wait that long just bring your laptop and we'll try to take care of it for ya. We're both Software Engineers. I have a version of Windows XP Pro that doesnt require a license.

Cool man i will try to be there, i think i may of finally got a job and i have my second interview tmrw, but if i have weekends off i will be over there for sure to help. and is it 13th threw 15th or are those your only days off?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TripleWhite96
Unless its a dell OEM disc, it will not allow him to use windows updates and security updates which are important with Windows XP. with the svchost.exe it could be many instances of a problem as 2-12 svchost.exe's run at the same time and all do different things. With it being Windows XP, that would mean its roughly 2-3 years old unless you did a downgrade on a windows vista unit. I would make sure your hardware is intact first before you play around with software. I would not recommend using the "free" online scanners because they will end up being more of a hassle then helping you detect and remove infections. They are all garbage and come along with hefty adware. I would find someone around you that has a boot disc that could properly diagnose the hardware and then go from there. What type of anti-virus/internet security are you running now by the way? Also anything like limewire/frostwire/bearshare on the machine?
I know of a place to get stuff from, i will have all the goodys covered on the next round. I do have limewire (been meaning to uninstall) my anti-virus stuff is super antispyware currently.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I fix computers for a living. trust me when I say stay as FAR away from those "hacked" versions that "don't require a license" as you can. you HAVE a legit license on the bottom of your laptop, that is all you need. XP discs are a dime a dozen.

Once loaded, you will need to go to dell.com to get some drivers, which can be a problem if windows doesn't see your network adapters.

go to malwarebytes.org and download malwarebytes anti-malware. Once installed, go to the update tab and update the software, then go to the scan tab and run a FULL scan.

Once it's done, it may ask to reboot. If so, once it reboots run a full scan again.

If you're still having problems, you will need to reload Windows.

However, before doing so hit f12 at startup and run the system diagnostics express mode to see if you have any hardware issues. I would then go into "custom" and do the full memory and hard drive tests.

If you need Windows loaded, let me know. I live in Maitland so if you're in Orlando that should be close.

If you have any questions email me at ec-nova@cfl.rr.com I will reply much quicker than if you reply here

Quick Reply: any computer guys here?