Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Car audio list - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car audio list - HELP PLEASE

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked 1,000 times, but I just want to upgrade my Monsoon stereo and get it over with. Who has the best set-up? I like sound quality with a bit of bass. I just want to buy it (without breaking my pockets), plug it in, and listen to it.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Teching In

"buy it" , "plug it in" , and "sound great"? LOL, not happening... lol Need more details... lol

Are you talking normal consumer price or "cop price"
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by alexplantman
"buy it" , "plug it in" , and "sound great"? LOL, not happening... lol Need more details... lol

Are you talking normal consumer price or "cop price"

Coming from the guy who can;t find a street race... Go to a larger consumer store like "best buy" or an actual car audio store and listen to what they have first before you go buy something that someone said was good. A great reason to get out and about too!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Yoo what's good Dana? You should talk to peter (not sure if you're still in Orlando or not) but he has a really mild setup (hidden 10" sub/amp/capacitor) and hits pretty hard. Very nice sound and it's pretty average stuff if I'm not mistaking. Wiring it all up will be the most extensive part.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Things are OK now... working in Dade and Broward nowadays. I'll fish around and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The SSheriff
Things are OK now... working in Dade and Broward nowadays. I'll fish around and see what I can come up with.
If you are in Dade, then go to Bird Road (SW 40 st) west of 87 ave; there you have Senor Stereo which are pretty good, and there are 2-3 others in the area...

There's another good audio place in North Miami on 163 st.. east of I-95, on the south side of 163, but can't remember the name of the place, it's next to were their was a car wash, maybe someone knows the name of the place.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh no, are you the guy in the badged and cammed out Charger?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

I actually was driving a slicktop Charger for about a month while my Crown Vic was in the shop. Lots of pluses to driving the Charger as opposed to the Crown Vic.

For starters, the Charger has a lot more features that come standard, like a CD player. I know it sounds petty, but with the crap that's on the radio nowawdays, it comes in handy. The A/C is frigid, it sounds great, and it performs well. It's also quite an intimidating presence, especially with the red/blues on.

The downside is the cramped workspace and reliability. Our Chargers are constantly in the shop for all types of things, but one common disease they all had was their transmissions failing. The Charger just can't handle the day-to-day of law enforcement driving like the Crown Vic can.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

, but one common disease they all had was their transmissions failing. The Charger just can't handle the day-to-day of law enforcement driving like the Crown Vic can.
This goes for almost all Dodge rear wheel drive transmissions
Another good thing about the Chargers they dont tend to blow up when rear ended, unlike the Vic
Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is really not that hard to upgrade over the monsoon system.

Head units are pretty pick what you like, Top names that fit in to most peoples budget, Alpine (Which I had) JVC (have now) Pinoeer.

Same goes for the 6.5 speakers that you have in the doors and in the sail panels. I think Alpine has the best clearity over any thing out there with in a reasonable price. Type-R is the mid range quality.

If you want a little bass get the stealth box that goes in the driver side cubby hole. Don't do a big box that takes up the trunk you will regret it if you need the trunk. For a amp I would just match the ratings for the speaker to your amp ohms for ohms and a little bit more wattage. Something that I found out when doing my sound system for my old car if you see a amp that is advertising 1000watts it is truely a 500 watt RMS amp. SO just look at what you are buying.

Other alternative is call your local car audio guys in Broward County, not the "HOT" ones. LOL and just see what they have to offer and shop around. Normally most of the top end guys have different speakers set up that you can here so you can make the call.

When you find what you want, Ebay is the best place to get what you are looking for. Alpine and most stores wanted $250 for each 12 inch subwoofer, I got both for $250 plus shipping.

My old setup
Alipne CDA- spmething head unit $150
Alpine Type-r 6.5 front and rear $165 (4)
Alipne 1242D type R subwoofers (2) $275~
Apline PDX 1.1000 mon block amp 60% gain $500~
Wiring and terminals $800

Hit 153dbs on the dash at 60% gain on the amp. Clearity and sound was way better than stock stuff.

A few of the members on here have my old audio equippment. LOL
Dont forget to upgrade that crappy wiring that they have in our cars.

Best of luck in your audio search

Last edited by RsSean; 08-22-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Car audio list - HELP PLEASE