Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Don't ever buy a VW!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Don't ever buy a VW!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has a 2004 Turbo Beetle and it is the Biggest piece of **** I have ever seen!!! OK the car is fun to drive but that is as far as it goes. The handle to open the glove box is broken off, it has a rear ash tray that has never been used and it has broken from just driving and hanging out now, we have had electrical problems since day one. You push the button to let the top down and it will roll the passenger window down let it sit a few min and works fine. WTF! We have had many vacuum lines split, the windows are supposed to automatically go down a little when the doors are opened and go back up when it is closed YA Right that happens all the time. About a month ago one of the rear windows would go about half way up and right back down I finally got it up and no one has messed with it, my wife just calls and tells me the window was down this morning all by its self and now it won’t go back up at all!!!!!!!! I am going to make sure my insurance is in check and run it in to a big ******* tree!!!!!!!!!

The worst part is I can’t tell my wife to burn it because she loves it and has been all she wanted since they came back out years ago.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a 2000 Jetta 2.0 that we purchased on the "SmartBuy" (aka dumbass buy) program. At the end of what was essentially a 4 year lease I could not wait to give that car back. I swear there was a team of engineers working on that car specifically tasked to make sure you could not work on that car yourself. And it definitely required work to keep it all in working order. 3 window motors, 4 mirror switches, broken glove box cover, oil leak, various interior finish issues, bad remote, bad brake caliper, terrible traction regardless of tires (3 different sets), 2 recalls, overheating cd changer, etc.

We called and managed to turn the car in 3 months early and purchased a 2004 Grand Am GT which was 5x the car that the Jetta was...and it never had a problem! Based on that experience I will never purchase a VW again.

And here's what really burned my ***... 2 years go by and we are trying to buy a house. We are having a lot more trouble getting a loan than I expected because our credit rating was quite low...especially for never missing a payment in my life. Aside from the fact that the credit agencies were reporting 2 other people on my credit report, I found out that VW never officially closed our contract in their system (although we had all the paperwork indicating that every "i" was dotted and "t" crossed) and showed that we were 2 years delinquent on nearly $10k! Let's just say that wasn't a pleasant conversation with VW. We got the loan for our house with no issues once the credit reports were cleaned up.

I know some people who swear by VW. They have obviously had a different experience than I have. I am with you all the way on this one. Never again. Not even if it was free.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was a original owner of a 95 VR6 Passat, that piece of **** nickel and dimed me to death after 100K, it blew the engine at 130K, because the timimg chain guide came apart, there supposed to be changed at 80K but there's now way to know this unless you take it to VW for service screw that, there labor is $125 an hr, last time I checked, I quickly sold it!!!!!!

BUT, I'll take any aircooled type 1, 2, 3, etc!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

VW & Audi r the same car Company and if u want better Quality u need to buy a Audi instead of a VW.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate to say it but F-bodys are not much better.. LOL!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bj350hp
I hate to say it but F-bodys are not much better.. LOL!
But atleast our head light covers dont fall off for no reason
Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
VW & Audi r the same car Company and if u want better Quality u need to buy a Audi instead of a VW.
hahahaha wow... Audi is an even more expensive, yet equally(if not more) shitty vehicle. VW's(and Audi's) are the worst cars I have ever worked on.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

from what i hear, the german VW's are the best ones, the ones that come for sale in america are from mexico and suck. but if you import one from germany, it is good (vw shop owner that bought my sisters blown car) well now to explain my sisters car...

she picked up an 03 jetta 2.0t, it was a nice little car for about 5600 out the door with under 100k miles on it. after the first day, the glovebox handle broke, now thats not a big deal but its just shitty. then about a week or 2 later, the transmission is throwing a code about 3rd gear yet VW says that you dont ever need to change the transmission fluid so there is not a dipstick to measure the fluid level and then the week after that, the waterpump goes out (i believe they have 2 of them also) so we changed that but the guy at the VW dealer forgot to tell us about the T-connector that is prone to cracking so we didnt replace it... come to find out, we needed to replace it because it leaked down the highway and blew the motor (melted the piston, zero compression in the entire engine)

granted my sister isnt the greatest when it comes to cars but she said that no lights were flashing telling her about low coolant. she said she pulled over when it started smoking and shut it off. im not fully sold on just doing that killed the engine but you never know. so we said **** it and a month after buying the car, we sold it for 1700 to a guy that owns a VW shop and he was fixing it for his wife. needless to say, if you dont keep up 100% on the matenance, your fucked
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ALH442
But atleast our head light covers dont fall off for no reason
O my god!! LOL the ******* head light cover flew off going 60 the other day!

As for F-Bodys compared to VW I have had a 10sec F-body since 2002 almost 10 years now and the ONLY problems I have had at all is 4 broke rearends and 2 trannys. I would like to think I brought those problems on all my self by running 10's with a 10-bolt!!LOL.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

i have a 2011 gti directly imported from germany. i bought it in early july last year. so ive had it over a year. the only problem ive had with it is the tire pressure monitoring light kept going off. but thats only cause the car was imported from germany with german specs and it was so new that the dealership didnt even have the software to fix it. also i got the no cost scheduled maintenance which is awesome.

i love this car its an awesome little daily driver. the only complaint i might have is it lacks a little power but then again im going from a 450rwhp car to a 200whp car.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

i got a 05 jetta gli 1.8t 6-speed with a 170K miles. has been one of the best cars i have ever had. only car i have had over 1.5 years. i have done the timing belt twice my self, and it was taken care of before i got it at a vw dealer. also got a good buddy who is a vw tech. and has had a 440whp turbo vr6 jetta. along with a list of tons of other quick vw. they can be really good cars. but you have to take care of them.and as far as the vw vs the fbody. i can tell you i have worked on both, and the vw is put togeather much more solid then the f-body. sure its a pain in the a$$ to take apart. its caouse everything is stuck togeather some how.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

66 and older vw's FTW!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bottlefed01z28
i have a 2011 gti directly imported from germany. i bought it in early july last year. so ive had it over a year. the only problem ive had with it is the tire pressure monitoring light kept going off. but thats only cause the car was imported from germany with german specs and it was so new that the dealership didnt even have the software to fix it. also i got the no cost scheduled maintenance which is awesome.

i love this car its an awesome little daily driver. the only complaint i might have is it lacks a little power but then again im going from a 450rwhp car to a 200whp car.
Good to hear about the GTI. I picked one up at the end of July. I've only put alittle over 600 miles on it so far. Working almost everyday sucks!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

just got rid of an 04 Passat to get my new TA, I'm never going back to "german engineering" bullshit

Quick Reply: Don't ever buy a VW!!!!!!!!!!!