Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Sarasota

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sarasota

How is the car scene in Sarasota? I will be moving there in about 6 months and was curious whats its like? Any local forums for that area? I know Tampa is not to far north.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Launching!

i dont know about the sarasota area.
but we have a small club in the polk county area
i bought my 95 6 speed t/a from a guy that lives in sarasota.
he buys and restores f-bodys
so i know theres a few around there,
but idk how many.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Not much of a scene here in Sarasota anymore. Used to be a great scene, but thanks to Fast and Furious years ago, cops will arrest you for revving your engine...i got cuffed because some girl in a mustang was speeding trying to catch up to me through traffic. When she caught up to me, she started revving her mustang at the light. I revved back, she took off at the light and the cop pulled both us over and tried to arrest me (while he hit on her)...I was eventually let out of the car, uncuffed, and released without any penalties.

This is what you have to look forward to...too many cops with nothing to do.

the scene is pretty much at Bradenton Motorsports Park or drive up to Tampa.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah I did some work on a condo in longboat key.
so I was through there everyday for almost 5 months.
There was cops everywhere.
Never a day went by when I didn't see a motercycle cop hiding behind a tree shooting radar.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What ever happen to Rev Xtreme?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a Tampa Bay Camaro club, but its up in Tampa. They have events all around the area.

Nice group of guys and gals
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

there is a small group of guys that meet at hooters sat night on clark road. Mostly imports, but many of them are damn fast.

There aren't THAT many cops unless you are doing something stupid around D1 or fleet maintenance.

IE - if you are in Osprey, tread very carefully, fleet maintenance is in south Osprey. If you are in downtown Sarasota, don't even think about it - D1 (SPD headquarters) is right off of Ringling.

Ive gotten LOTS of impromtu races over the years in SRQ, but there are certain areas you shouldnt even think about it. Misbehaving on Longboat key is a big no no and will land you in jail on the first try every time.

Incidentally off of University Parkway you will get LOTS of mid life crisis yuppies trying to race you. They all seem to get all butt hurt when you walk them though....lol
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rangersltw
How is the car scene in Sarasota? I will be moving there in about 6 months and was curious whats its like? Any local forums for that area? I know Tampa is not to far north.
driversgarage.com //// plenty of locals there. We are actually planing a track day in july. Check this link for more info: http://driversgarage.com/activity/p/7623/
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm moving to Tampa at the first of the year too! My best friend/family/brother whatever you want to consider him has lives there for 5 or so years no, I go stay with him about 3 times a year. Also our other good buddy moved down there at the first of last year.

I don't know about Sarasota but the scene in Tampa is pretty nice. Easily go out for a night and get 2-3 runs with decent cars (bolt on/cam/pullied/etc type cars).. Especially if you cruise the bridges a couple times.

I know a lot of guys in the Tampa-ish area.. And I know there are several meets that go on (Hooters/etc). Bradenton/Sunshine/etc is right in the area too. The street heat nights kinda blow though, very few domestics.. All imports and most are dog dog slow.

You can't go for a cruise without seeing multiple C6/fbodys/GTOs/Cobras/etc... As well as your higher end cars like AMG/GTR/C6Z/Zr1/porches/etc..

IIRC it took me almost exactly an hour to get to Sarasota last time we went down (coming from New Port Richey/Holiday area)... No place to park though cause they were having the boat races AND it was close to 4th July, STUPID packed! So we went back to Clearwater, which is our stomping grounds, love the area.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm. Well sounds like I will be up in Bradenton and Tampa then. I know what you mean about the mid life crisis people there. lol Lots of guys with there European cars thinking they're fast. I didn't realize the police situation was that bad. I hardly see any of them when I have vacationed there the last 5 years. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Www.need2speed.com

Tons of Tampa area racers. Especially lsx and mustang cars.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm one of the guys that goes to the Saturday night meets from time to time.

The Saturday night meet is mostly a mix of people that are mostly friends. That doesn't mean people aren't welcome. As long as your cool, not douchy, and have fun, you're more than welcome to come. There's a GTO that comes out on occasion, and me, and that's pretty much it for domestics unless you count pickup trucks.

The Audi/Volkswagon/Porsche dealership does Cars and Coffee the first saturday of every month. I think I'm the only modern domestic that shows up, other than corvettes and a few classics that come from time to time (cobra's, older vettes, etc.).

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sar...22869531080962

We've also got another group that kinda is a place to advertise for meet-ups and whatnot and goins-on in the area:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sar...89716137749879

The Porsche Club of America runs an autocross at the Sarasota Kennel Club from time to time. It takes FOREVER for them to run an event, and most don't know how to drive their car. We like to go and school them when they swing through town.

If you're into autocrossing, this is the group I run with:

http://drivefast.org/ Awesome group of people and a really good mix of cars, import and domestic.

I've never had too much trouble with police and driving stupid, so long as you drive intelligently, you'll be fine.

With that being said, I've had 3 friends arrested for street racing, all at the same time, and they weren't racing lol

I run the Miata meet on Clark Rd. at Buffalo Wild Wings on Tuesday nights, so if you ever wanna *** up and come chill with the boys, you can do that, too!

-meaty
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm. Well sounds like I will be up in Bradenton and Tampa then. I know what you mean about the mid life crisis people there. lol Lots of guys with there European cars thinking they're fast. I didn't realize the police situation was that bad. I hardly see any of them when I have vacationed there the last 5 years. Thanks for all the responses.
Also, I'd stay away from Bradenton like a fat chick with herpe's. Every time I go down Cortez, I see a minimum of 2 accidents. It's almost as bad as driving in Miami. No one cares about you or your car, and they will just side swipe you and keep going, like it's no big deal.

The police really aren't that bad. I hadn't been pulled over in years until I got the Cadillac. Three times in one year. Ugh.

-meaty
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The area is definitely not what it used to be, we used to have an active car scene here and it just fizzled out. Not much if any racing going on here unless you are at BMP. If you wanna race, go to tampa or BMP, the other option is setting up private races which is what most people are doing nowadays anyways. People in general are not out like they used to be. Most everyone does not have the extra money to spend driving around looking for races or spending the money paying speeding tickets.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
I'm one of the guys that goes to the Saturday night meets from time to time.

The Saturday night meet is mostly a mix of people that are mostly friends. That doesn't mean people aren't welcome. As long as your cool, not douchy, and have fun, you're more than welcome to come. There's a GTO that comes out on occasion, and me, and that's pretty much it for domestics unless you count pickup trucks.

The Audi/Volkswagon/Porsche dealership does Cars and Coffee the first saturday of every month. I think I'm the only modern domestic that shows up, other than corvettes and a few classics that come from time to time (cobra's, older vettes, etc.).

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sar...22869531080962

We've also got another group that kinda is a place to advertise for meet-ups and whatnot and goins-on in the area:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sar...89716137749879

The Porsche Club of America runs an autocross at the Sarasota Kennel Club from time to time. It takes FOREVER for them to run an event, and most don't know how to drive their car. We like to go and school them when they swing through town.

If you're into autocrossing, this is the group I run with:

http://drivefast.org/ Awesome group of people and a really good mix of cars, import and domestic.

I've never had too much trouble with police and driving stupid, so long as you drive intelligently, you'll be fine.

With that being said, I've had 3 friends arrested for street racing, all at the same time, and they weren't racing lol

I run the Miata meet on Clark Rd. at Buffalo Wild Wings on Tuesday nights, so if you ever wanna *** up and come chill with the boys, you can do that, too!

-meaty
Thats me! Well if you mean the Barbados (blueish green) 04.

Is your V a LS2 or 6?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Thats me! Well if you mean the Barbados (blueish green) 04.

Is your V a LS2 or 6?
I've got the raggedy 'ole 6

I thought you had a silver GTO? I don't go out enough to remember anyone but the "main" people that go out I seem to remember someone in scrubs out there with a silver one.

I had a GTO spank me on Clark a few weeks ago, I couldn't remember what color your car was, I thought it was silver? I was wondering if it was you or not.

Guy had a license plate bracket on the back for some car shop or something, I don't remember the name of it.

Also, if you see a young kid in a silver RX-8 with blue-ish HID's around Clark Rd., feel free to stomp on his ***. Every time I see him he tries to run me, and I kick him to the curb, then he makes up some lame excuse about his 2nd gear. Car is turbo'ed, but not "fast" whatsoever. Ran him from a dig 3 times, and despite the V's lack of traction, whomped him thrice.

-meaty
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
I've got the raggedy 'ole 6

I thought you had a silver GTO? I don't go out enough to remember anyone but the "main" people that go out I seem to remember someone in scrubs out there with a silver one.

I had a GTO spank me on Clark a few weeks ago, I couldn't remember what color your car was, I thought it was silver? I was wondering if it was you or not.

Guy had a license plate bracket on the back for some car shop or something, I don't remember the name of it.

Also, if you see a young kid in a silver RX-8 with blue-ish HID's around Clark Rd., feel free to stomp on his ***. Every time I see him he tries to run me, and I kick him to the curb, then he makes up some lame excuse about his 2nd gear. Car is turbo'ed, but not "fast" whatsoever. Ran him from a dig 3 times, and despite the V's lack of traction, whomped him thrice.

-meaty
Barbados Blue Metallic looks reaaaally close to Cyclone Gray Metallic (a darker silverish gray) when it gets dark out and yeah I was wearing scrubs the last time.

However that wasn't me that raced ya! The only CTS-V I've had a chance to goof around with was a LSA on Beeridge a few months back.

Ill keep a lookout for said RX8! Im always down for clubbing aggressive seals!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Barbados Blue Metallic looks reaaaally close to Cyclone Gray Metallic (a darker silverish gray) when it gets dark out and yeah I was wearing scrubs the last time.

Ill keep a lookout for said RX8! Im always down for clubbing aggressive seals!
Okie dokie, I'm partially color blind, so that doesn't help me out, either!

He lives back there behind Dairy Queen, so if you're around there, it's a good chance you'll run into him

-meaty

Quick Reply: Sarasota