Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

TS Debby totaled my Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TS Debby totaled my Z28

My '02 Z28 was declared a total loss from a flood in TS Debby a few days ago. I took good care of it, and I was very saddened to see it go.

I live on a creek, and before work on Monday it overflowed. I woke up to see the water up to the floorboard and rising. The water got up to around the trim molding on the outside of the car, about halfway up the door. The interior is tear out, as it was soaked despite my attempts to dry it out.

Fortunately, the water didnt damage anything important, from what I could see. The car ran and drove fine after the flood, the A/C worked, the lights worked, the wipers worked, it was idling the same as ever. The pulleys sure were a little squeeky. I check the oil and the air filter, both had no water infiltration. When the water started rising again on Tuesday evening, I drove it out to higher ground at a park near my house.

I am working with the insurance agency to buy the car back. The problem is that with a Certificate of Destruction, the car's VIN can never be put back on the road. You would have to turn this into an off-road vehicle, drag car or a autocross car. (however, I hear that you can register them in Kentucky...)

Specs:

128,xxx miles
35th Aniversary edition Z28
Pewter Metalic
4 brand new 255/40/r17 tires (put on in march, about 3000 miles on the tires)
Dyno'd at ~396 HP about a year ago, tuned by EFI Alchemy in Green Cove Springs

Parts include:

C5 brake conversion w/ Baer Rotors, Hawk Pads
ASP Harmonic Balancer Crank Pulley
ASP Overdrive Alternator Pulley
SLP Airbox
TEA 5.3l Heads
ARP Head Bolts
Vinci Custom Grind Cam # 066 (220/224)
Crane 1.8 ratio LS1 Roller Rockers
Crane DIAGNOSTIC TUNER
Dynatech Stainless Headers # 700813
Dynatech SuperMaXX Catalyst-equipped 2.5” Y-pipe # 700815
Borla Exhaust System
LS7 Clutch & flywheel
BMR Subframe
Eldebrock Torque Arm
Summit Differential Cover
UMI Lower Control Arms
UMI Panhard Bar
UMI relocation Brackets
Aluminum Driveshaft

I sure will miss her.
Attached Thumbnails TS Debby totaled my Z28-img_1893-large-.jpg   TS Debby totaled my Z28-img_1901-large-.jpg   TS Debby totaled my Z28-img_1902-large-.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

ugh thats tough to see and hear , im sorry man .
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, I am legitimately Upset and sorry for your lost. Seriously sucks man. I'd cry like a little baby if that was me. I hope you get it back. But to make a lil light of the situation. The cat fish found water?.........
Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

omg my stomach just twisted, id be furious! im sorry for the loss, if i was you i probably wouldnt buy it back. it did have 128k miles and that water was pretty high in the car. you might have rust issues in the future. if anything take the drivetrain out and put it into a roller or just cut the loss and go for a new car and possibly get a SS
Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Launching!

I thought the left side of my car being stuck under a semi was a sad sight...that truly is heart breaking. Hope you can get it back and keep her alive.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is heartbreaking.

As the owner of another pewter hardtop with no t-tops and black mirrors, I feel for ya, we have a rare breed
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Launching!

If I buy it back, I would have to either part her out or sell it as a car to be used off the road. I dont know it I could part it out... there was so much that was good with this car. And she runs and drives!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I'm assuming you are in black creek. The worst debby did for me was kill both my o2 sensors or extensions (haven't figured out since I woke up the next morning and the car was fine again) but i had to drive through a puddle that was deep enough to reach them. That storm was horrible all over jax though.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Wow, That sucks sorry to hear that man...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Mother nature what will we do with you.... hope the best for you brotha! this is a horrible thing to have to deal with...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just curious, if it ran fine but was just wet, why did you report it to your insurance company? And why did they total the car if it just needed interior parts replaced or dried out?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ec_nova
just curious, if it ran fine but was just wet, why did you report it to your insurance company? And why did they total the car if it just needed interior parts replaced or dried out?
I reported it because thats what everyone told me to do. I didnt try to start it up until after I reported it, and the fact that a second flood was possible. I considered tackling the interior myself, but was hoping that they would NOT total it and instead give me the cash to replace it.

I dont know if it only needs an interior, it might need much more than that. When they loaded it on the flatbed, there were areas in the carpet that were already molding... with the heat lately, it might be even worse.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

MY 96 took on water this week as well but I went and hooked chains up and moved it to higher grounds and instantly hit the drain plugs. I barely had any water in mine and it dried up quickly. Sucks. I live on the west side and are front yard and neighbors looked like a lake. It took like a matter of 2 hours and our yard was more flooded than we have ever seen it in the 20 years we have lived there.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Choppers
MY 96 took on water this week as well but I went and hooked chains up and moved it to higher grounds and instantly hit the drain plugs. I barely had any water in mine and it dried up quickly. Sucks. I live on the west side and are front yard and neighbors looked like a lake. It took like a matter of 2 hours and our yard was more flooded than we have ever seen it in the 20 years we have lived there.
I heard that across Jacksonville, the worst rain in 30+ years. I pulled the drains but the water was well soaked in the carpet and seats. I guess I am going to try to sell the whole thing to someone for off-road use, or for parts. $3499 is what I am asking right now. If I dont sell the entire thing, I will start taking off parts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ps-3499-a.html
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Teching In

I have seen a dehumidifer dry out and save the interior. the electronics are done for tho
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Dang man, that really sucks.
I would bawl my eyes out of if that happened to me
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough situation but you could have contacted a local emergency service company like a servpro or servicemaster franchise and they could have dried it and done antimicrobial treatments due to the contamination of flood waters. So if anyone else ends up in this situation maybe it will save their car

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Damn that sucks !
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sux.. sorry
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Default car

hi,
man that really sucks. i use to live in jax. if you could get it back from the insurance for a decent price i would try. your engine and tranny are sealed and as long as you had no leaks i think your drive train will be ok.
i had a accident where my floor mat got wrapped around around my throttle.
i was pulling out of a parking lot making a hard right when my floor mat wrapped around my gas pedal causing it to floor the car. i was almost able to save it but by the time i was able to get the mat untangled the car was almost at a complete stop. however it was on a steep angle canal and it rolled over. the car looked really bad but it was fixable.don't act super interested to your insurance adjuster,but let him know you might be interested in buying it back.
i still live in fla in melbourne and if i could help you let me know.
thanks,mike

Quick Reply: TS Debby totaled my Z28