Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

emissions/inspection if moving to FL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default emissions/inspection if moving to FL?

hey guys, i got a fancy job offer in FL that i'm kicking around. there's a lot up in the air for me about this, so i'm weighing ALL options... including my aging camaro which i'll have to tug along over to the other side of the country...

my car is not smog legal at all in CA as it is, but is currently registered.

if i move to FL, what kind of stuff might I encounter? emissions? some kind of vehicle inspection?

I read something saying that FL abolished smog laws, but being from CA I simply cannot believe that.

eh???

also. is orlando horrible? tampa? i should probably be within 1hr or so of orlando area, but would like your input. so far the folks i've talked to are on a slightly different page then the ls1tech crowd.

thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No emissions/inspection stuff here. Your safe lol
Old 04-05-2017, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They got rid of inspections/emissions testings about 15 years ago. You will need to transfer your CA title to FL title. EZ stuff'. About 200 bucks.

Even though traffic/population has been steadily increasing it will be an improvement over LA/NYC type traffic. Coming from California you may even find that despite the surge in rents and prices of homes, that things are a bargain.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

"also. is orlando horrible? tampa? i should probably be within 1hr or so of orlando area, but would like your input. so far the folks i've talked to are on a slightly different page then the ls1tech crowd"

I live in Lakeland which is a little closer to Tampa than Orlando but Orlando is still less than a hour away depending on traffic. Pretty laid back here got a little 1/8th mile track but if you want the 1/4 mile you will have to go south west to Bradenton or north east to Biflo, about a hour to either depending on which one you wanna go to. I personally go north east to Orlando Speed World in Biflo being I grew up in Titusville. Here in Lakeland we got a good local tuner and dyno if you want HP numbers.

The way of life here moves at a slower pace than in California, my sister tried Cali for a couple years and has come back to Florida saying about the same thing as what you stated about us being on a slightly different page. When you do make it here there will at least be a few of us that are on the same page as you LS wise. We try and get together Saturday nights talk mods, hp, & times, the usual car stuff.

Looking forward to getting to know you when you get here and unleashing some of that power that's held back due to your current emissions laws
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys!

wish me luck
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Like many cities many parts of Orlando is bad. Avoid I-4 due to the traffic.

Bithlo is a great track and traction is good even on test and tune.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
They got rid of inspections/emissions testings about 15 years ago. You will need to transfer your CA title to FL title. EZ stuff'. About 200 bucks.

haha yeah right, try a little over $400 per car. theres title fee, out of state title fee, new plate fee, etc etc etc.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

i moved here from ny.

theres things about florida that drive me crazy, but overall i love it.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brewster240
i moved here from ny.

theres things about florida that drive me crazy, but overall i love it.
mind listing them?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

things move at a slower pace here. sometimes its nice. other times its really frustrating when youre trying to get something done.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like everyone else said, throw a set of long tubes on, dump it at the axle, delete all emissions codes and have a ball.

I live in Deland, which is fairly close to Daytona and Orlando. There are many smaller cities on the outskirts of Orlando that will suit you fine. My wife commutes on I4 to Downtown Orlando for her job and it normally takes her about 40 min to get to work. I4 can be unpredictable though... there have been times it's taken 3 hours for her to get home. You never really know. This report will give you some idea of what Central Floridians deal with http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...027-story.html
Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the heat but I've moved back to FL multiple times, I've given up and am staying. Whew, CA, the way that state is someone would have to PAY ME to live there! Glad I got to visit with my time in the military and then I was glad to leave! Cool stuff out there but man the politicians are really trying to ruin that state. Hell maybe some or most of the residents anymore don't care and enjoy the path of tyranny. Can I do cool stuff with my vehicle, my personal property? NO! Can I have various firearms, have magazines larger than 10 rounds? NO! Can I eat at a restaurant without signs telling me I'm going to get cancer? NO!

Screw CA. Glad my car wore FL tags the 3.5 years I was out there.

Quick Reply: emissions/inspection if moving to FL?