Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

New to Central Florida - seeking shop advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Central Florida - seeking shop advice

Hi. I'm new in Florida (job move, etc), and my old 98 Z28 (180k+ miles), mostly original car (it's been a really good driver), needs some serious work (someone put synthetic dextron into my Tremec, and we know what that's led to...). Wondering if anybody has any recommendations for shops in Florida (anywhere from PCB, to Jacksonville, to Tampa, or beyond), that really know these cars? Any recommendations welcomed.
Thanks, Bob.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Welcome! I'm in central Fl. Sorry don't know any shops to go to, I do all my own work. Where are you in central Fl.?
Old 08-26-2022, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

If it's a simple transmission rebuild there are various shops. If you're looking for more work geared towards the LS engine there are also a few here and there. Depends on what you're looking for. I'm central, FL, too.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
If it's a simple transmission rebuild there are various shops. If you're looking for more work geared towards the LS engine there are also a few here and there. Depends on what you're looking for. I'm central, FL, too.
So yes, a T56 rebuild/swap shouldn't be a big deal, and I don't want go to a top-notch performance shop would be bored by such a thing, but I prefer to find someone who's competent and skilled with older vehicles, to get it right the first-time and break as few other things as possible - and on older cars, unexpected things happen. I don't mind a little traveling, to a shop that someone can personally recommend, and when people have given me recommendations before, they've usually worked out the best. Also, if I keep this thing on the road, there's more that's going to be needed.

Just FYI, I'm just outside of Gainesville.

I'll admit I'm a little envious of those with the skill and determination to do all their own work, but even so a transmission is more than I'd ever think to do all by myself. Although, my dream house, not that it will ever happen, would have a big garage building, a lift, and space just for projects. I have not so fond memories of working in a tight townhouse garage, taking half the dashboard apart, to change the heater core out of an '88 Camaro, in the winter. And I was young then....
Old 08-27-2022, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get the transmission out, I have used these guys have been very happy with their work on my T56

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/
Old 08-27-2022, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

A rebuild kit isn't that expensive but the labor to pull the transmission, rebuild the transmission, put it back in, is not cheap. I would suspect you'll be into it for probably close to $3k. A new transmission is about $2,200, after core charge. Then you're out the labor so probably a little more expensive. The good thing is the warranty on a new transmission but some shops will warranty their work. I haven't done a transmission swap in a few years but I don't remember it being of the utmost difficulty. On jack stands would suck, a lot, but it can be done. Last one I did on jack stands was a 70's Camaro. I'm not that daring anymore. Creeped under with it on my chest. Haha
I'd first set a budget, include everything imaginable, and go from there. Not sure what shape your clutch is in either.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

My last T56 rebuild (2007?) was done by Lamotta Performance, in Longwood FL. That is a NE suburb of Orlando and they've always had an excellent local reputation for Tremec & Borg Warner rebuilds. There are other local shops that claim to be competent, but based upon my experience with Lamotta, I'd wait to use them if I had the option. Without digging out my receipt, I seem to recall it was $250 to R&R the tranny, $250 in labor to rebuild the T56, plus any needed parts... but again, that was probably around the year 2007.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't use Lashway Tuning in Oakland Park, FL

Bad customer service.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't really hear a lot about t56 rebuilders in FLA. I've looked, I ended up pulling mine and shipping it to tick performance and I'm really glad I did.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Don't use Lashway Tuning in Oakland Park, FL

Bad customer service.
AGREED.

Just took my 10 year old forged motor apart because it had a little issue. Lashway installed this when it was brand new 10 years ago. I gave them all my parts from my old motor (big 436ci stroker) and they were to install all my old parts and than install the new forged engine in my car.

They took my 80 LB after market injectors and gave me some used factory AC Delco injectors. Just seeing this now because I'm tearing everything down again.

Great.

Quick Reply: New to Central Florida - seeking shop advice