Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Dyno Tuning in Miami

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Tuning in Miami

Anyone know any places to have my ls1 dynotuned? Due to recent events... I'd like to get the most power out of the motor

If you know any shops that do a real good job of tuning stock LS1 motors... please chime in
Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

You may have a little bit of a drive ahead of you. Either Orlando (NLP) or Tampa (Rev Extreme)
Old 08-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turo
You may have a little bit of a drive ahead of you. Either Orlando (NLP) or Tampa (Rev Extreme)

I don't believe that there is not at least ONE good shop in Miami for tuning an ls1....
Old 08-20-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Trust me, I've been looking for a year or so. You'll find no leads worth investigating assuming you truly care about your car's well-being.

Yeah, it sucks, big time.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is Kelly Chevy still doing tuning?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey exit,

I come down to the Ft Lauderdale area about every 2-3 weeks and work with Horsepower Sales in Pompano Beach. I was just there this past Friday and got 7 cars done, what a busy day it was. All C5 Vettes and a 2005 GTO. I may not get back down till 9/17 by the looks of things with the holiday weekend approaching. Just let me know.

Mike Norris
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Hey exit,

I come down to the Ft Lauderdale area about every 2-3 weeks and work with Horsepower Sales in Pompano Beach. I was just there this past Friday and got 7 cars done, what a busy day it was. All C5 Vettes and a 2005 GTO. I may not get back down till 9/17 by the looks of things with the holiday weekend approaching. Just let me know.

Mike Norris
how much power do you usually get out of a stock LS1?

Should i wait till have I have nitrous installed for the tune or would i be better of just doing it now?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

hey mike what kind of gains did you guys get out of that 05 gto, and was it modded.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

exit,

The gains will depend on how close or how far off the factory tune is with the mods that were installed. I have seen some cars be close and others way out fuel trim wise once the intake tract is modified. I would say an average gain is in the 10-20RWHP area and we have picked up as much as 30RWHP, but that car was pretty fat to start.

jjw3477,

On the 05 GTO, I do not remember exactly, but we picked up around 20RWHP and 20RWT. I want to say it was high teens gained on the HP and low 20's on the torque. It was one of the last cars on a long day, so the exact numbers escape me. The car had a CAI (K&N?), JBA short headers and a Spintech exhaust.

Thanks.

Mike Norris
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Launching!

exit,

The gains will depend on how close or how far off the factory tune is with the mods that were installed. I have seen some cars be close and others way out fuel trim wise once the intake tract is modified. I would say an average gain is in the 10-20RWHP area and we have picked up as much as 30RWHP, but that car was pretty fat to start.

jjw3477,

On the 05 GTO, I do not remember exactly, but we picked up around 20RWHP and 20RWT. I want to say it was high teens gained on the HP and low 20's on the torque. It was one of the last cars on a long day, so the exact numbers escape me. The car had a CAI (K&N?), JBA short headers and a Spintech exhaust.

Thanks.

Mike Norris
So what would you recommend? Finishing my exhaust/intake mods before taking it to get dynotuned?

Or taking it as is now? (K&N, LID, Testpipes)

My future plans for the car are IntakeManifold, Headers, and a cutout... before nitrous....

$400 for 10-20whp seems a little pricey to me (not to mention the money for gas to drive up)

Thanks for awnsering my questions....
Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 AM
FormerVendor

Hey exit,

Most folks consider getting 15-20 RWHP worth the $450 for a full tuning session. Definitely a better investment then an intake manifold for more than that and will yield in most cases 5 to maybe 10RWHP. Again that number is dependent upon the state of the current tune.

With that said, if the car runs well and the manifold, headers and cutout are coming in the near future, then hold off till they are done. If these mods are off a bit time wise, then get the tune done. Hope this helps and I may be coming down to the Ft Lauderdale area 9/2-9/3. I should know this by the end of the week.

Mike Norris
Old 08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Hey exit,

Most folks consider getting 15-20 RWHP worth the $450 for a full tuning session. Definitely a better investment then an intake manifold for more than that and will yield in most cases 5 to maybe 10RWHP. Again that number is dependent upon the state of the current tune.

With that said, if the car runs well and the manifold, headers and cutout are coming in the near future, then hold off till they are done. If these mods are off a bit time wise, then get the tune done. Hope this helps and I may be coming down to the Ft Lauderdale area 9/2-9/3. I should know this by the end of the week.

Mike Norris
im thining about tunning it within a few weeks... 2-4...

Just curious... What do you use to tune? HP tuners? LS1 Edit?

Already ordered a cutout... after thats in... i just gota save up the money...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Talk to vtc_ws6 (thats what he posts as but his names Dave). His ws6 has put out some great numbers and so have the ones hes tuned.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:11 AM
FormerVendor

exit,

We use LS1 Edit. My next trip down after this weekend will be either 9/16 or 9/23, not sure as of yet. Just let me know and thanks.

Mike Norris
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering about a tune as well. Will I need to buy a handhelp tuner for my car to get it dyno tuned? And how much power should I look for if I have a lid and cutout beforehand?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering about a tune as well. Will I need to buy a handheld tuner for my car to get it dyno tuned? And how much power should I look for if I have a lid and cutout beforehand?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dyno tuning, done by someone you hire/take your car to is usually done with their own PC based setup using LS1Edit (usually) or HPTuners. Handhelds have their limitations. If you want to get into tuning, a laptop, a wideband O2 sensor and HPTuners is the way to go. Diablosport handhelds in theory can work, but you need to download and interact with Diablosport themselves for parameters beyond the handheld's ranges.
Vinci/Crane handhelds supposedly can come tailored according to the setup (heads/cam/bolt-ons) that you buy from them.
Kelly Chevrolet in Hallandale Beach used to do Edit tuning. I don't know if they still do. They were not good at getting my car tuned for driveability (cold starts in particular), but did fine with AFR tuning.
Having shops like NLP or RevExtreme or Vinci tune your car is the way to go if you don't want to get into the tuning state of mind.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

All the advice I got lead me to Tampa...

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning in Miami