Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Forign conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forign conversation

I am starting this here because we have a huge amount of non americans that live here in Florida. More then likely a few in this section.
I am not 100% familar with what is going on but would like feedback from other florida members on this topic.
I have worked construction for my father who is a General Contractor here in Florida and I have no problem with the large Mexican population that is here.
I believe if I were from Mexica or anyother 3rd world country I would do my best to move here as well. I cant fault someone for trying to make themselves better. I do however disagree with the way they live here. If we are going to allow other country's people to live and work here rules should be mandatory. Schooling should be a MUST. Weather its weekend school, nighttime classes, etc something should be done. We should not have to learn Spanish, French, German or anyother language, those wanting to live in America should have to learn ENGLISH.
Next, taxes, must be paid. I have to pay them, you have to pay them so why shouldn't someone from a different country? This is already a law but a law that is broken more often then obayed.
I also feel that we should take care of our own first. Americans should take care of America before anyother country. If we can't get our own country right then how in the **** are we going to get some other country right?

Here is Florida the biggest population of forien people are spanish speaking and mostly from Mexica or Cuba. In Maimi it is more Cubans. From Naples up it is mostly mexicans. I know first hand mexicans will take a job for a lesser amount then a white or black person. They tend to also work harder. This is why my father has hired so many of them even though he cant speak to them. Many of them are VERY good people just trying to live a better life and earn some money. I have became very good friends with a few.
There is a Awsome guy from Ft. Lat on this site that is from Cuba. We aren't the best of friends but do talk every now and then. His screen name is Zambolx and I know that he is grateful to live in the USA.

I guess my whole post tonight is to throw out my oponion on some things. I dont want this to turn into a huge cat fight so please feel free to respond but please do so in a positive MATURE way.
No slang, namecalling, or bashing will be excepted or needed.
I want to hear from Florida mambers because thats where I live and thats where I am staying. So what do you guys think?
To those on here from another country feel free to post as well on your believes. Oponions are welcome as long as they are made in a mature way.

Last edited by JZ'sTA; 04-09-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

......I agree 100 %...English is the only language that is used world-wide. That's what pisses me off about QUEBEC,CANADA. They do not want to speak English and about half do, half don't. Some places in Montreal -WILL NOT- speak it in their stores and don't care even if you leave. I've said my piece....this is only a small problem compared to what you AMERICAN'S are putting up with. I feel for you guy's, especially all you in the most Southern States...... ...[btw..it's spelled 'Foreign']
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

So I take it your not going to the rally on monday.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
Old 04-09-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
Only if he can pick up a RALLY CAR.....
Old 04-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
............ ...[btw..it's spelled 'Foreign']

I guess I need more schooling then some of them, my spelling is terrible.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

As a Cuban, I feel every country should have an official language... As an English major and Literature/Writing teacher, I've had to examine over 50 recognized linguistic systems of English... Every modernized country in the world had a federally regulated academy/agency for linguistic standards. Spain, for instance, has a part of their government that decrees what is "correct" Spanish and is engaged in never ending research, regulation, and adjustments. Though there are many variations of Spanish there, there is an official "correct" Spanish.

In Britain, there is an official "correct" British English...

I ask everyone the following question: If everyone in the US was required to learn English, which English would it be: Network Standard English, Northern American English, Midland American English, Standard American English, etc...

And there are more than 45 other systematically maintained ENTIRE and SELF-SUFFICIENT languages that are called American English with their own proprietary grammar, phonetics, semantics, technicalities, etc.

The US government has never recognized which the "correct" English is... This is the problem with communication... Too many "kinds" of English determined by the whim, overstated, of the universtities and of the most successful linguistics literature and books publishers.

Why does the US do things this way? Well, to put in short (to explain would be writing MANY pages in detail), it's to harness a unique position and advantage in the global marketplace... An easily accessible language, not even of its own, that any group can mold and claim... And do business successfuly through efficient communication with the US as the "hub." Well, here we have it, the most successful country in the world, money-wise... Because language will not be allowed to hamper communications with all groups of people in the world here in the US.

Here's the dilemma, though. The strongest supporters of speaking English in the US do not even know these facts, don't even know that WE DON'T HAVE AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN THE US. The government needs to decide first on an official rendition of American English to be "official." Then it can be enforced.

This is an issue I deal with every day in my career when I contact publishers griping about radical changes in my students' curriculum and their response is that they'll do whatever they want. Then, I have to rearrange everything and confuse the **** out of my students... Very unfair... This is because the government does not concern itself AT ALL on having a stable and "official" version. Many Americans, before whining about immigrants speaking English, need to address these concerns first... What do you fix first, a scratch on a door or a flat tire?

Last edited by bboyferal; 04-09-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

I could give 2 ***** about what english is correct. Simple point is the correct english is the one I can understand when a mexican or cuban is trying to speak to me or I am trying to speak to them.
If they are half *** avarage at spelling or knowing different words that mean the same thing I could care less, but when I say hey buddy can you move your car and get the reply "Sorry I's donts speaks englishes" it is complete bullshit.
I understand what your saying but at the same time....
We are a free country so why have a exact form of english?
It wouldn't work with all the different people in this country. So is it soda or pop? Depends on where your from. It means the same thing so who cares?
Do you have ants, or aunts spelled ants? Who cares....
Plus with all the slang one "right" form would always change.

Yesterday there was a few guys at the shop wanting some work done on their car's. Guy "A" had to ask guy "B" a question to ask me because he didn't speak english.
His quote was 6500, 5000 of which were in parts for his 2V Mustang.
He couldn't ask me but he had enough green on him to pay for the parts in cash.....
Old 04-09-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay, sir, so when we get the government to pass requiring to know English here, which one will be taught at the seminar/schooling sessions, etc. The government here has to enforce an official language first... Can't you see that?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I think IT WOULD BE GREAT if the US made the rules official and set a standard. All versions would be kept, but there would be a standard taught in schools and all publishers would have to fall in line. Then, the US could say, "Speak whatever other languages you want, but you need to know our official English first." There's a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Maybe you don't understand the pragmatics of language, but to propose, "...Who cares? Any English..." is why everyone talks however the **** they want in this country. Immigrants don't help the situation, and neither do "Americans."
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talk dat ghetto slang cuz im from da hood
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it pisses me off that people walk around this country speaking german, spanish, whatever and go about it like its no big deal. i wouldnt move to germany or mexico and not learn the language as quickly as possible. even if it wasnt a law. just for the simple fact that im not an ignorant asshat and too ******* lazy to do it. im sure in the comforts of my own home i would still use english as it is my primary language, but it public its ignorant. especially when trying to communicate to another for a good or service in which U need assistance.

on a side note: if u live in america then u should have an american flag hanging in the window of your candy painted, wheel spoked, hydraulic pumping honda. not a mexican or puerto rican or whichever country u choose flag. if u love that country so much by all means go back. u came to america to make a better life and AMERICA is providing u with that. honor it properly.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

btw: jz u cant spell for ****! and this is coming from someone who uses cpu shorthand because hes too lazy to type the words out
Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
it pisses me off that people walk around this country speaking german, spanish, whatever and go about it like its no big deal. i wouldnt move to germany or mexico and not learn the language as quickly as possible. even if it wasnt a law. just for the simple fact that im not an ignorant asshat and too ******* lazy to do it. im sure in the comforts of my own home i would still use english as it is my primary language, but it public its ignorant. especially when trying to communicate to another for a good or service in which U need assistance.

on a side note: if u live in america then u should have an american flag hanging in the window of your candy painted, wheel spoked, hydraulic pumping honda. not a mexican or puerto rican or whichever country u choose flag. if u love that country so much by all means go back. u came to america to make a better life and AMERICA is providing u with that. honor it properly.
Well posted... You would think the individual would rise to the challenge and learn it... Not the case. That's why I feel the US should establish and maintain an official language and not leave it up to the individual. In practical terms, this would mean all academics in public schools being the same English no matter what the publisher. It would mean a trip to the DMV would require the use of English, not like now where an individual who HAS NO CLUE what English is can go get a license... These are just examples. Many countries have their official language in addition to many others used. I'm all for showing pride in another nationality, but not before pride in the land you reside in first.

Try to go to Spain to live there without knowing a word of Spanish, or to Germany without knowing a phrase in German.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok there's no way you can make someone speak a language by law, especially in a free country. My ex g/fs brother in law came from cuba and refused to speak spanish in this country because he was trying to learn english.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

i refuse to listen to any **** bag that doesnt speak our language. if he is mumblin to me i tell him to go somewhere else or to learn the english langauge.

this is my veiw and hhow i tolerate it. if anyone disagrees with me i can give 2 *****.

i bet all 30000 of them come on about 5-6 busses too. haha
Old 04-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I think IT WOULD BE GREAT if the US made the rules official and set a standard. All versions would be kept, but there would be a standard taught in schools and all publishers would have to fall in line. Then, the US could say, "Speak whatever other languages you want, but you need to know our official English first." There's a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Maybe you don't understand the pragmatics of language, but to propose, "...Who cares? Any English..." is why everyone talks however the **** they want in this country. Immigrants don't help the situation, and neither do "Americans."

Yeah so you teach the same thing they teach in public school's now.
I dont see why that is so hard.
Dont make a big deal about it I am all for teaching English, but we have school every day with kids learning English, and if there is no "right" form it must not matter too much since schools still have material to teach.
I could care less if they had a proper form of english and that is only because I know nobody would use it. (The avarage wouldn't use it) Slang would still be used every day.
I guess what I was saying is that learning how to talk is more important then knowing how to write. Communication is more important.
I also feel that while our school system could improve, my sister has 2 kids in 2nd grade and a guy I work with has a son in 3rd. They can all read and write. Therefore the system being used, while not perfect works.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Well posted... You would think the individual would rise to the challenge and learn it... Not the case. That's why I feel the US should establish and maintain an official language and not leave it up to the individual. In practical terms, this would mean all academics in public schools being the same English no matter what the publisher. It would mean a trip to the DMV would require the use of English, not like now where an individual who HAS NO CLUE what English is can go get a license... These are just examples. Many countries have their official language in addition to many others used. I'm all for showing pride in another nationality, but not before pride in the land you reside in first.

Try to go to Spain to live there without knowing a word of Spanish, or to Germany without knowing a phrase in German.

This is very true. We as I am sure you have people that speak spanish at the DMV just for this reason.
I find it very sad.
The whole test should be in English.
I bet more people would learn to read and talk that way.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
btw: jz u cant spell for ****! and this is coming from someone who uses cpu shorthand because hes too lazy to type the words out

I will start using speeeellllll check.
Sorry honey.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
Yeah so you teach the same thing they teach in public school's now.
I dont see why that is so hard.
Dont make a big deal about it I am all for teaching English, but we have school every day with kids learning English, and if there is no "right" form it must not matter too much since schools still have material to teach.
I could care less if they had a proper form of english and that is only because I know nobody would use it. (The avarage wouldn't use it) Slang would still be used every day.
I guess what I was saying is that learning how to talk is more important then knowing how to write. Communication is more important.
I also feel that while our school system could improve, my sister has 2 kids in 2nd grade and a guy I work with has a son in 3rd. They can all read and write. Therefore the system being used, while not perfect works.
I agree on communication, but you're not listening (er.. reading). There has to be a standard, official, to abide by. If you went to school in Spain for example, you could speak Spanish however you want OR other languages. But, you would be taught, and EXPECTED to know at their DMV/Tax office/courts/etc. their "official" language. They can do this because they have an official language. In America, Standard American English (as set forth by many linguistics with differing VIEWS, ), is not the official language. We have NO official language in this country. We need one. Then, yes you could speak it however you want, i.e. Soda or Pop but at certain times you would have to perform the "standard," at the DMV for instance... Like in other countries that HAVE an official language. The government needs to step in, establish an official English, and then enforce its mastery by citizens for certain purposes... Like MANY other countries do.

Quick Reply: Forign conversation