Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Anybody know this Mustang GT in the Tampa area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know this Mustang GT in the Tampa area?

I'm looking to buy the below Mustang GT, and I was wanting to see if anyone knew the car or at least knew something about it. It should not be hard to recognize.

I drove it today and it had a significant ignition miss and I am going to get it on the scanner tomorrow to try and get an idea of what is going on. Hopefully it is something minor.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its that 4.6L sohc motor

btw why would you bother buying a used car that something is rwong? its just a GT>
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i think its that 4.6L sohc motor

btw why would you bother buying a used car that something is wrong? its just a GT>
Well that's why we will have it on a scanner tomorrow. I suspect that it is something ignition related. If it is anything beyond a sensor or plugs and wires, or something similarly simple it's no biggy. Even if it is something significant, I have the capacity to fix it fairly easily.

Why buy a car that has a minor problem you ask? Simple......when you are essentially stealing the car, it would be a crime not to take advantage of the situation.

I have been a diehard Chevy piston head and racer since I can remember and I still have a 97 WS6, but this Stang is really gorgeous in person and well......it was time for something a little different.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

that building looks very familiar! They have a LOT of nicer cars for sale in magazines and online. Something like prestige motorsports I think. I looked at a '02 Blackbird that they had there years ago. Someone should recognize that place
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
that building looks very familiar! They have a LOT of nicer cars for sale in magazines and online. Something like prestige motorsports I think. I looked at a '02 Blackbird that they had there years ago. Someone should recognize that place
It's called Hillsboro Auto Mart. It's on Florida Ave just North of E. Fowler. They do have some pretty nice rides.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

I looked at that same blackbird....hahaha! too funny, but I had the 98Z already.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by fastta
It's called Hillsboro Auto Mart. It's on Florida Ave just North of E. Fowler. They do have some pretty nice rides.

LOL... run... run fast
Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well obviously the previous owner had a Mach 1 inferiority complex (I hate when people put the chin spoiler on anything other than a Mach where it belongs) Otherwise looks good. Good luck
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Country Boy
LOL... run... run fast
Care to share what you know? I am new to the Tampa area, so I virtually have no contacts and/or backup here. Does Hillsboro Auto Mart have a bad reputation?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

what country boy is saying is do your homework before buying from there. they sell a lot of performance cars used. been around for a while. some of the cars sold are worn out ex-race cars or beat on. normal for muscle cars sold used.

just be on the lookout. thats all
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
what country boy is saying is do your homework before buying from there. they sell a lot of performance cars used. been around for a while. some of the cars sold are worn out ex-race cars or beat on. normal for muscle cars sold used.

just be on the lookout. thats all
I feel ya. I asked one of the owner's that I was talking to for the previous owners contact info. I am going to try to get a hold of him today. They said he was a miltary guy that was in his 30's and traded the car in and bought something off their lot.

Scanner showed 2 misfires on specific cylinders but nothing else. We noticed some corrosion buildup likely from moisture on several of the coils-on-plugs. I am going to see if I can get the dealership to sweeten the deal by replacing all 8 coil-on-plugs. Hopefully that's all it is.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 PM

They buy 90% of their cars out the the auto trader. They are also notorious for selling junk.. Ex race cars, wrecked cars, etc... Just do your homework... LOTS of it.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Country Boy
They buy 90% of their cars out the the auto trader. They are also notorious for selling junk.. Ex race cars, wrecked cars, etc... Just do your homework... LOTS of it.
I appreciate the heads up. I drove the car for a while today and all seemed well except for the same consistant misfire which will hopefully be remedied by new coils. While on the way over to a buddies shop, the sales guy and I got pulled over by a Pinellas Sheriff by the name of...believe it or not... Dragon. He said he couldn't see the plate through the back tinted window. I knew that was going to happen. Gave me a warning. I still wasn't too happy.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation Uh, ???

Maybe.. The "military guy" was stationed at Barksdale AFB, in LA., & The car was once under 8' of salt water???

Buying a used hotrod,you don't know the history on, is kinda like buying a used rubber..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation Uh, ???

Maybe.. The "military guy" was stationed at Barksdale AFB, in LA., & The car was once under 8' of salt water???
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Talked to the previous owner. We talked for a while, seemed to be a stand up guy and very knowledgable about the car. He had owned it since the car was at 17k miles. Car has 47,xxx now. When he got the car it was bone stock. He did every modification to the car himself. All the work was done at Coastal Dyno and he is going to email me the receipts and dyno sheets.

Anybody here have any experience with Coastal Dyno?

Had my ex girlfriend run a history on the car (she is a title clerk) and have the Carfax in front of me. No "reported" major problems and no evidence in person of any substantial body work or paint ever done. It had a light hit to the left door, and whoever did the work, did a professional job. If there was any body filler used on the door, it is extremely minimal if any at all. I went over the car with a digital coating thickness gauge.

It sound like Old Geezer has had some experience with using used rubbers. LOL. Just kidding Old Geezer. I know you don't know me, but I am not new to the "hotrod" scene. I've owned and built some pretty fast cars back when I was in San Antonio, and been competitively drag racing off and on since 1995.....mostly f-bods. I still have a 1997 WS6 that is half apart sitting in front of my old house in TX, waiting for my wallet to magically get fatter.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 PM

Sam (the owner of Coastal) is a very smart guy and highly reguarded for Mustangs around here.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

sam is a good guy. go call him up and ask about the car
Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Ok, thanks a bunch guys. I will give Sam a call tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Anybody know this Mustang GT in the Tampa area?