Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work man,i will never do a wiring project like that,lol im to retarded for that
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Updates?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates? Kind of curious...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talked to him a few weeks ago. He's still at it, just being slow
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Talked to him a few weeks ago. He's still at it, just being slow
Slow would be correct and I also haven't worked since November so while I have free time my budget is also extremely limited.

Yesterday, the 23rd was the six year anniversary of me purchasing the car. I didn't realize this at the time, but decided to push the car out of the garage, and wash it off. I honestly can't remember the last time I washed it and it needed it. My friends and younger brother find it amusing to write things in the dust that's on it.
Name:  GJt0gWq.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  70.2 KB

I didn't go too in depth, but simply did my best to get the dust, and solid pieces of material off of it.
Name:  QPXFkor.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB

My main goal was simply hoping that in seeing it clean that it would motivate me to want to start working on it again. That was a success, although as I mentioned earlier my budget is limited. I started revising my plans to work towards getting the cage fixed, wiring finished, fuel pumps installed, and the interior put back together. That way it would at least look like a whole car again and have a kind of visual reminder of progress. If anyone is good with wiring and would like to donate some time or just give pointers let me know as any help would be greatly accepted.

Wiring things that need to be finished:

- Repinning harness for the coolant temperature gauge and tach
- AVIC-D3 head unit wiring
- Battery cutoff relay finished
- Shift light, gauges, and fuel pump functionality / power LEDs
- Fuel system wiring
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I was feeling a little motivated earlier today so I went down and popped open the hood to try and figure out some of the wiring questions I had. Which were:

Questions (ANSWERS UNDERLINED):
- Does anyone know the difference between the 98 and 99+ coolant temp sensors? What I can guess by reading what I wrote is that the 98 has a 3 wire coolant temp sensor. Something like (power, ground, + signal) and the 99+ has a two wire sensor (ground + signal) and that my engine harness being 99+ only has a two wire plug. I therefore need to run an extra length from 220 K and connect it to the 2 pin ECT plug to make it like a 98.
Answer: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ke-values.html That simply told me the difference about how they operate and you can see the diagram for the 98 setup on the 2nd page. The diagram shows a dark green wire (220 Pin K) runs from the cluster to the sensor. That is what I need to setup.My 220 K ends at the firewall and I need to run some wire from the firewall to the sensor. The issue that I have now is that my 99 engine harness has the plug on it for the 99+ ECT sensor. You can see the differences in the harnesses.

98:

99+

My plan is to buy one of the 98 plugs, connect that to the 99+ engine harness, and run 200 K to the new plug.

Helpful link for 98 ECT sensor with images: http://www.am-autoparts.com/Pontiac/...15/664210.html

- I have the white tach wire coming out of my cluster that runs over to the interconnect, but it currently isn't connected to anything. My thought is locating the tach signal wire from the PCM out and simply connecting them.
ANSWER: As far as I know this is what I'm going to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's images:

98 3 wire ECT sensor and Tach signal from PCM discovered.
Name:  iaeRD9y.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB

99+ 2 Wire ECT plug on harness that will be getting changed.
Name:  k3PZmt8.jpg
Size:  91.9 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items I still need help with:

- AVIC-D3 head unit wiring (Remember some sort of aftermarket plug and I have 1/2 of them in the garage. I need to dig tomorrow and find it.)
- Battery cutoff relay finished (Have a diagram)
- Shift light, gauges, and fuel pump functionality / power LEDs (Little to no clue)
- Fuel system wiring (Absolutely no clue)

Answered:
- Repinning harness for the coolant temperature gauge and tach

Again, if anyone would like to donate time in the garage, a phone call, email, PM, or any sort of help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you've been working on this for 6 years?!? That's some nutty dedication.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

June 3rd will mark 6 years to the day that it blew up. I haven't really done much of anything to it in the past year and a half though since the cage incident. I've started working from home and it would make you think that would give me all sorts of time to work on the car. In reality it has actually made my days ten million percent busier and pushed the car a little further down the priority list. I don't ever plan on selling it, so it'll get done eventually.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

agh, I miss the days of sitting at work and watching your updates on this car.

You could always start selling crack to pick up some extra cash man you'll have that thing running 9's in no time .
Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

Just read through this entire thread tonight... you my sir are a warrior and I hope the best for the future of this car.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Can't do it any longer. More than likely the car will be listed for sale within the next week. In the mean time all items collected for the car amongst other things are listed for sale here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-c...cs-etc-fl.html

Local pickups appreciated.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Car is for sale. Information located here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ds-engine.html

Aftermarket parts not on the car are for sale here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...onics-etc.html
Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you selling it because of the wiring issues?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

There's no wiring issues with the car. The only thing stopping me from completing the last tiny bit of the wiring is the fact that I'm color blind and have zero help. There's literally only two wires that need to be run for tach signal and coolant temperature gauge to work. Once you connect the battery, the car powers on, and everything works, but those two gauges.

I'm selling the car because I've owned it for seven plus years and it hasn't run since June 3rd of 2007. The reality of the situation is I'm probably never going to get it running again due to a multitude of reasons.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
There's no wiring issues with the car. The only thing stopping me from completing the last tiny bit of the wiring is the fact that I'm color blind and have zero help. There's literally only two wires that need to be run for tach signal and coolant temperature gauge to work. Once you connect the battery, the car powers on, and everything works, but those two gauges.

I'm selling the car because I've owned it for seven plus years and it hasn't run since June 3rd of 2007. The reality of the situation is I'm probably never going to get it running again due to a multitude of reasons.
Yea I see all the parts that you are selling, if you was to sell everything you'd have the money for a brand new motor, I don't know if your current trans is working though.... Reason I asked about the wiring is because I have connections with one of the guys that did the wiring at GM for the Fbodies (worked at GM for over 20 years). He's retired now but still helps with electrical (he loves it), when he can.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

The transmission in the car works fine. I have the money now for a brand new engine, but that still leaves me in the exact same situation I'm in now; color blind with zero help. The only way I'll ever work on the car again is if it never sells or I win a small fortune on something random. Other than that the car is for sale and the money from selling parts is already being put towards expanding my business.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

The transmission in the car works fine. I have the money now for a brand new engine, but that still leaves me in the exact same situation I'm in now; color blind with zero help. The only way I'll ever work on the car again is if it never sells or I win a small fortune on something random. Other than that the car is for sale and the money from selling parts is already being put towards expanding my business.
Well you can always expand like you are doing and then get something newer, glws
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

I would be willing to help. There are two ways of doing this. If you have Skype on your phone, You can use the Webcam and I will tell you which wire color is which. Or the second option which I do NOT mind doing to help a guy out, is you pay 50 bucks for gas for me to drive up there from Tampa. I have a Chevy Spark and can GTFO out of here and make a little roadtrip out of it for a weekend. I am off Saturday Afternoons to late Monday nights (midnight). Not a sexy car, but its a fuel sipper. better than my T/A. I have nothing better to do so meh.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by RedLineWS6
I would be willing to help. There are two ways of doing this. If you have Skype on your phone, You can use the Webcam and I will tell you which wire color is which. Or the second option which I do NOT mind doing to help a guy out, is you pay 50 bucks for gas for me to drive up there from Tampa. I have a Chevy Spark and can GTFO out of here and make a little roadtrip out of it for a weekend. I am off Saturday Afternoons to late Monday nights (midnight). Not a sexy car, but its a fuel sipper. better than my T/A. I have nothing better to do so meh.
If the car ends up not selling I will happily take you up on this. Thank you very much.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

If the car ends up not selling I will happily take you up on this. Thank you very much.
Sweet. Just send me a PM with your contact info and we will work out the details then. IMO, I would say do not sell it. If you have the cash for a motor then go for it. However it's your call. I am here to help if needed.

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP