Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright sweet thanks a lot I'm only like 3 hrs south of you so to save shipping maybe we could meet depending how much shipping is
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I know you said you will be building a motor. I will be pulling the ls1 out of my z28 for a 408 and I will sell it to you CHEAP if you wan to get your car running again. I just had it tuned and made good power and all stock. let me know thanks mario
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE:

Things should get moving soon. I went down and met Chris (GTFORMULA) yesterday to pick up some parts for the new engine. It was an interesting and long trip to say the least. I conned my friend into going with me so I wouldn't go stir crazy. We left around 2:30 and got there around 5:20. I had to work from 6am to 2pm so it was going to be a long day. I was supposed to be taking my dad's truck, but according to him it needed an oil change. The ride down was pretty fun. Most of it was spent trying to get these two hot girls in a Civic with Canadian tags to flash us. Didn't work out too well, but it was amusing and we got them to laugh and wave. Almost....

We ended up taking my mom's Matrix which some of you have seen before. If you've ever looked in the back you might know what I'm about to post. We had to move so much **** around to get this stuff to fit. I told my friend if I have to slam on the brakes we're going to die.

We were hauling *** on the way back. Who thought a Matrix with an extra 700 pounds in the car could go 105mph? We ended up going about 87 miles in 39 minutes.

We saw some interesting things on the way back like this hay truck. They move it around in giant rolls. It's blurry and that's why my friend got banned from taking pictures.

We also saw this huge dually diesel pickup pulling a gianormous trailer with only a welder, bottles, and ladder on it. They could have easily fit it all in the back of the truck. Notice the picture is clear.

We made a little Green Cove Springs detour to drop off the parts at Jason's (One of out sponsors) shop: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=66972
We ended up being gone about 6.5 hours. We snagged a bite to eat at chili's on the way home as that was part of the stipulation of my friend coming. I got home at 10:30 and then jetted off to my friend's birthday party. I left there around 12:15am and got up at 5am to do the 6am - 4pm work shift.

Needless to say I'm a little tired, but it was worth it to get such a great deal. I'd like to thank Chris for being so helpful and hopefully everything works out. I'd also like to thank Jason for coming up to the shop when it was closed to let me drop everything off and check it out. We should finally get rolling on the disassembly at some point in time soon. I'm going to try and push it to the front of my house tomorrow and do some work with it.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 07-15-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

That link is that stupid truck again.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by FASTERthanYOU
That link is that stupid truck again.
Ah crap, I fixed that.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awsome glad yours getting **** back together
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Ah, it's good to be back. 30 days is a long time to be unable to post. I still have to change my sig back vs. "How does that search feature work now for you?". Those of you who saw the thread know what happened, but I won't go into it. I've also had quite a few things happen since my last update which I'll try to catch up on.

First: I forget the date, but I loaded the car up with all my stuff. Jason drove up from Green Cove with the family and picked it up for me.

Loaded Up:

I managed to cram 4 tires, a set of subframe connectors, set of heads, fuel injectors, and my offset LCAs in there. It was almost like playing Tetris trying to get the tires to fit.

One thing that majorly ticked me off though is that when I was loading the stuff up I noticed this:

You can tell that it isn't small. I new it was fresh too because I had gone out and taken some stuff out of my car a couple days before and it wasn't there. I think my ******* neighbor might have done something to it. It wasn't the post either. It's just at a weird angle in the picture. It's actually about 6+ inches under the missing paint. Not to mention the white scrape all around the tire because my mom doesn't understand the word stop.

Monday is going to be the big day for ordering parts. I get paid tomorrow along with the money I have right now should be some of the engine done along with some other odds and ends. One thing that ticks me off though is that I my scholarship for school has now taken a week too long to go through so I have to pay for classes tomorrow or get dropped. Sucks for me because I'd rather have my $800 now then get a $450+ check a few weeks from now. Versus getting a $1250 check in two weeks.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

LMAO i took my drag radials just like that to get mounted on my wheels, people looked at me like i was crazy.
-Joel
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

UPDATE:

I've been really busy with school starting again and work so things have been going rather slowly. I've been collecting some more parts though as time goes by. First up the things I've acquired recently.

I got a nice Spohn adjustable body mount torque arm for long tube headers off of speedyhawk101, a member here in the for sale section.

I also recieved today my new set of All Pro heads. I was really happy to get these. I ordered them off a guy on ebay for $875 + $50 S&H (about half of what they normally cost).

The guy sent me a shipping number and I tracked the package on its way to my house. About a week later at school I saw it was delivered. I was pretty excited, but when I got home I didn't see a box. I went inside and found a tiny box:

WTF:

Needless to say I was pretty pissed off so I called the guy and he said that he was out of town and asked his friend to ship the heads for him. He told his friend to put the small box in the big box and ship it out. Instead his friend put the shipping label on the small box containing the valve guides and shipped that. He sent me another set of heads, but it ended up taking another week for me to get them. Here they are and they're beautiful:

Upon inspecting them a little more closely I noticed some casting flash. These are an as cast head so I expected some. Anyone have any recommendations for removing this. I realize a dremel, but what sort of bits / wheels would you recommend?

Exhaust Port:

Intake Port:

I also have a new respect for people who manage to take really good pictures of cylinder heads. I should be getting at least the longblock done pretty soon. I still have to order the valvetrain parts, fasteners, gaskets, and some other little things though.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Update:

Quite a few parts have been coming in recently. The only downside is that my mom broke our camera on our short trip to Connecticut so... shitty camera phone pictures it is. I ordered the stuff in these pictures from New Era Performance and have to give Mike a huge thanks for the deals he hooked me up with.

JP Double Roller Timing Chain: Normally $199, Sale Price $99.95 - 10% extra sale discount = $89.96

Powerbond Underdrive Crank Pulley: Normally $249, Sale Price $179.95 - 10% extra sale discount = $161.96

Yella Terra Shaft Mounted Rockers: Normally $499, Sale Price $419.95 - 10% extra sale discount = $377.96

I also ordered, but haven't yet recieved a BMR turbo style tubular k member (Don't know if I can state the price) and tubular a arms (5% off sale price). I'm pretty much broke after spending $1774.69 on parts from Mike, then $280 for another set of heads and, $250 on another set of rods. It's really hard to not buy parts with the little money I have left over, but I've got to save up for Christmas.

I've also been gathering random parts for my Camaro when ever I seem to find freakishly good deals. I've been trying to plan on what to put in it for a while now and am still not 100% sure. I have a complete forged 347 rotating assembly assuming my crank is still good and a really nice set of ported 806 casting that have been O ringed and set up for a solid roller. I'd like to thank Jason for letting me use his washer today to clean them off. https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.ph...oster&t=821711 . I plan on taking them to Dover and having them flowed at some point soon. I'll also have my stock K member and a arms off of my formula so that puts me a decent way towards a Gen III setup. My friend has also offered me the 350 out of his van that needs a rebuild for free so I'm not sure which avenue I'm going to take yet. Either way I go both would be turbo setups.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 12-03-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: My pictures keep going down.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's an ambitious project. Best of luck with it!!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Like everyone else, I can't wait to hear it's on the road again. Good luck & keep the updates coming.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

wow dude, building up a prity nice stack of toys there bro.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sometimes it's really hard to stay motivated to continue to collect parts and not see anything, but that; a pile of parts. Up to date I quickly calculated that I have $7949 in parts in this thing and I could be forgetting some items. The sad thing is that I still need probably that much more to finish. I could have bought a whole car for the amount I have in parts. Granted you can't buy a car like the one I'm going to have. I love my car too so however long it take to get it finished the way I want is worth it to me.

PS: All my pictures keep going down.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Well, another update is in order. I recieved my K member and a arms from Mike at New Era. They look pretty sweet. I also picked up a LS1 shortblock with a weak #7 in South Carolina from a member on here for $200. Once my formula gets done we'll be putting that in my Camaro.

Thanks Mike for the great deals:

I'm still trying to save up and finish everything up. As odd as it sounds now that school has started again I have a lot more free time. I went down to Jason's yesterday and dropped off my parts. It was funny because I felt majorly crammed in there. I had to take my seat out to get my shortblock in. That combined with the giant k member box and all the other stuff I had to move around I had almost no extra space.

The most interesting part was trying to get my shortblock into my car by myself. Now this might not sound too impressive to some of you who have done this before, but I'm 5'8 and 155. Moving that shortblock was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long time. On with the pictures.

My shortblock was on a engine stand and sitting in my garage.

Now the key to doing this was I started at 11:30 at night and was trying to do it as quitely as possible to not wake anyone up. Here's where I started with my goal at the end. (I took these after I was done because I was amazed I did it)

I started off by dragging the thing out with the bags underneath it about half way down my driveway. After that I screwed these two boards together in hopes that when I put them on the jack that extra ledge would help it not fall off. Which I'm extremely glad I did because there was one time when I almost dropped it and luckily it caught.

After I made that I leaned the shortblock up a little and slid the board under it. Then, I picked up the board and slid the jack under it. Once I got it on there with lots of finesse I jacked it up a little. I then had to roll it the rest of the way down my driveway. Which was extremely scary because it kept getting caught on all the cracks and I thought it was going to fall on me.

Once I got it to the car I jacked it up to get as much clearance as I could. Unfortunately I had no way of knowing before hand that it wasn't going to come up about 10-12 inches short of being in the car. It only came to the outer edge of the black plastic stuff inside the door. That's when I got really scared because as I was trying to move it around to get it on there it started tipping the jack. I really thought it was going to fall and either hurt me, mess up my car, and / my car. Luckily enough when it did fall it landed in the car. Almost perfectly in fact. All I had to do was move the front part into the car.

Mission accomplised!

A word to the wise though. After doing this by myself I have to say if you can get someone / anyone to help you do it. Just getting the shortblock in the car alone took me over a hour. It'll be a lot safer and majorly easier. The next stuff on tap is valvetrain parts and a few other goodies.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Mission accomplised!

Schweeet. The +8 Cupholder mod!
Thats a lot of work man, everythings looking good.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
Schweeet. The +8 Cupholder mod!
Thats a lot of work man, everythings looking good.
Ha, I didn't think of that. That's awesome! My friend was commenting the other day on how my Camaro only has 1 cup holder and my Formula has 6.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You couldn't lift that up and put it in the car????

My friend and I unloaded a complete LS1(no accessories) out of his truck, we were really supprised how light it was,
Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Steve68
You couldn't lift that up and put it in the car????

My friend and I unloaded a complete LS1(no accessories) out of his truck, we were really supprised how light it was,
I did a quick search and found that a complete engine with no liquids weighs 430lbs. A longblock with no intake / accesories weighs in around 390lbs. So basically you subtract the heads from there and that's what mine weighs. I've had three sets of heads shipped to me and for some odd reason I can't find any info on how much the boxes weigh. I think my bare / ported 806 heads weighted 67 pounds? Let's just say they weigh 90lbs for a set to be safe. You're asking me why I couldn't lift 300ish lbs off the ground and put it in my car?

Keep in mind I weigh 155lbs. I agree with you on pulling it out of a truck is easy. That's what we did when we got it. Leaning over and picking it up off the ground by yourself is a whole nother thing.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, They feel lighter than that, I have a 5.3 I move around on the ground at my house, and I think I move it around quite easily, but I also weigh around 195,

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP