Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

all of you who run without cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all of you who run without cats

i know florida doesnt have emissions testing but if a cop somehow figures out that your car has doesnt have cats, can you still get hit with a fine?? Im thinking about getting an offroad Y pipe and i just want to make sure i wont get a huge ticket or something before i get the pipe.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's illegal to take cats off everywhere in America so yes you can get in trouble.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eh, getting caught for not running cats is not probable. I highly doubt a police officer is going to get under your car to see if you are running them.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 AM
Teching In

lol its a 75 dollar fine but thats only if your really making alot of noise.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Believe that fine is for the noise itself ... isn't it a mandatory court date to prove you had them installed, once you're caught without them? I think the fine is like $500.00. Older cars are allowed to have aftermarket cats if they meet EPA requirements, from my understanding. While it's illegal to remove cats from the newer cars. Just what I think and remember reading in the past, so, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong about the fine amount.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i never had any problems with my exhaust and never been asked about it! sucks if anyone here has
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

When I had TD's local LEO's were cool with it. I have read here where several folks were no so fortunate to live in an area where loud exhaust is not looked down upon by the LEO's. Some area's are just the opposite from what I have seen on the forums here.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm, around here no one gets checked for it. most of my friends f bodies are runnin with no cats. man there are other cars around here that sound worse than ours and i'm not talkin about ricer cars just cars that the exhaust has rusted and the cats are completely shot.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

around my area, the only loud exhausts cops dont like are the ones that sound like hornets nests
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks for the help. i guess ill try it out and see what happens.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had my TSP true duals for 2 years. Never had any trouble but I also do go flying past cops full throttle. If I have a cop around me I usually baby it just so I do not attract more attention. I was more worried about getting busted for having blackouts on my taillights but I have has them for a year and no trouble.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell I ran catless in CA for 3 1/2 years.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv never heard of anyone in FL getting in trouble for that. Not saying it doesnt happen, just saying Iv never heard of it.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Iv never heard of anyone in FL getting in trouble for that. Not saying it doesnt happen, just saying Iv never heard of it.
Ditto.

I run catless, and I can't think of a scenario where a cop would actually look under my car to check for cats, regardless of how loud or smelly it is.

Florida just isn't strict about that sort of thing.

I've also never had trouble for my 5% tint on either car I've owned, and I was once rearended with blackouts on my taillights and the cop just said that I needed to take them off per state law. Didn't rule me at fault.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

I went with an ORY pipe off-and-on ... more off than own. I finally got a little paranoid and decided I'd get a better sound and just about as loud by doing 1 7/8" American Racing headers and the 200 hundred hole per-cat racing converters. Now, I no longer care what law enforcement thinks about it because I am totally legal again. Feels good not to be paranoid because if you get caught street racing, the judge is thinking about taking your car anyway. When he sees your illegal, it could just very well make up his mind to make the decision to ensure you lose your car. It was just too much a risk for me ... just a personal and smart thing for me to do.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 01-29-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Teching In

From my understanding it is illegal to modify or remove any emission equipment from your car including cats. I run TSP cats on my car even this does not make me legal according to the law, it sounds better and I do not have a programmed ecu or sims and do not throw any codes. I had no cat on my Neon after I installed a long tube header, because there was no room, I never got in trouble. If you are really worried about it I have seen people get the shells of cats welded around their exhaust.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember that you can get bolt on cats. they look like cats and the only way to tell is to get the car up on a rack. I actually run catless but no trouble as of yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

I would recommend get a electric cutout to control when you want it really loud or not, that would be reasonable to consider too cause closed your going to be running it through a muffler or catback system anyways and generally they're all chambered mufflers so it would be hard to tell whether it's emissions legal or not...mostly I have had friends get in trouble for noise but never had an issue with being legal or illegal on the system itself..
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

I ran slp longtubes, no cats, and the slp lm1 unit for over a year in South Florida. Of course I would never get on it around a cop, but I never had any issues with the cops about the sound. I did have a BSO cop give me a thumbs up at a light and said that my car sounded like a monster. Made me feel good to get that kind of response from an officer. But eventually I could not stand the rasp anymore and switched out the muffler. Now I have no rasp at all and it sounds great.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

I've been pulled over before because I had my cutout off when I lived in Boca Raton. The cop was pretty cool, he said "whatcha got done under there?" Popped the hood showed him, he got under the car and looked, and told me to put the cap on the cutout and to watch out for his stang. I can say I got lucky, but I don't think most cops give a **** unless they are **** ******** like some of the ones I've ran into in Seminole county (not sheriffs).