Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Street racers kill 1 and hurt 4 on Rosevelt Blvd, in front of NAS JAX.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street racers kill 1 and hurt 4 on Rosevelt Blvd, in front of NAS JAX.

I was driving home for lunch from the base and I saw this wreck. There were a **** load of cops, fire trucks and ambulances. There were like 4 cars that were fucked up, the acura's entire exhaust was ripped off the car along with a bunch of other parts. Gruesome ****...

Everyone, please be careful.

"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The northbound lanes of Roosevelt Boulevard just north of Interstate 295 reopened just after 2:30 p.m. Monday, more than five hours after the Florida Highway Patrol said a speeding car jumped the median and struck three vehicles just after 9 a.m. Troopers said one person died in the wreck and four were injured, two of the seriously, when a southbound Acura lost control, crossed the grass median and struck three northbound cars.

"The Acura broadsided one of the cars -- that driver died at the scene," according to FHP Lt. Bill Leeper. "The Acura then went airborne, spun around (and) struck two other vehicles."

A witness told Channel 4 that the Acura and a Mustang appeared to racing just before the wreck.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"I was probably going about 55 and they sped around me like I was standing still," Mark Myers told Channel 4's Ashley Townsend.

Troopers said the other speeding car was a 2000 metallic blue Ford Mustang that left the scene. The FHP is actively searching for that vehicle and said charges are pending against that driver.

The FHP asked anyone who may have information about a Mustang southbound on Roosevelt near Naval Air Station Jacksonville about 9 a.m. is asked to call 904-301-3663.

The wife of the driver who died was driving in a second vehicle just ahead of her husband and witnessed the wreck in her rear-view mirror.

All northbound traffic was diverted onto Collins Road while troopers investigated, then workers cleared the wreckage. At least one southbound lane was also closed for more than five hours until all lanes reopened just after 2:30 p.m. "
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another tragedy.

Why do people street race in traffic?! I'm not going to say I've never ran anyone on the street, but when I have it sure as hell hasn't been on some busy road. When I make that decision I make sure if I mess up I'm gonna take myself out and not some poor guy driving to work.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Teching In

I agree, i read about this at work today....what idiots...and to think that the other driver juss kept driving...what an A$$....
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9am! who the **** races around in rush hour?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
9am! who the **** races around in rush hour?
I was thinking the same thing.......
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

ricers and mustang owners apparently.

Ryan
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

That is terrible...

I would have to pin this on the "street race" if a race did in fact occur the way the police/witnesses said it did.
I am referring to my thread a few weeks ago regarding that other incident in Maryland where a few people were killed after a street race, though the deaths were blamed on the race which didn't make any sense.

Could you imagine seeing a loved one killed in your rearview? I'd be super pissed.

RIP
Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I have a bunch of buddies in JSO, and they are getting the earfull about cracking down on all street racing or cars that appear to be out for street racing...particularly on saturday nights. It sucks for the GM owners cause I have ridden with my friends on a few sat "race" nights and the majority of the people in groups or having street races around the westside have been heavily imports with a few mustangs; I rarely saw any LSX GM or for that any GM cars out there. All I can say is that the police know that the imports are the main problems, most are young men anywhere from 17-21 who think they have a fast car. We caught several in groups being dumbassess doing burnouts and A LOT OF DRINKING! These are the ones giving those who enjoy weekend outings seeing nice hotrods the bad rap....remember Automotive Engineering years ago, it used to be nothing but V8's and muscle cars having a good time enjoying seeing others pride and joy...then the imports showed up and f*#$ed things up with the burnouts and trash in the parking lot. Thats why we have local meets on sundays to void out these ********.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastls1ss
I have a bunch of buddies in JSO, and they are getting the earfull about cracking down on all street racing or cars that appear to be out for street racing...particularly on saturday nights. It sucks for the GM owners cause I have ridden with my friends on a few sat "race" nights and the majority of the people in groups or having street races around the westside have been heavily imports with a few mustangs; I rarely saw any LSX GM or for that any GM cars out there. All I can say is that the police know that the imports are the main problems, most are young men anywhere from 17-21 who think they have a fast car. We caught several in groups being dumbassess doing burnouts and A LOT OF DRINKING! These are the ones giving those who enjoy weekend outings seeing nice hotrods the bad rap....remember Automotive Engineering years ago, it used to be nothing but V8's and muscle cars having a good time enjoying seeing others pride and joy...then the imports showed up and f*#$ed things up with the burnouts and trash in the parking lot. Thats why we have local meets on sundays to void out these ********.

Amen,I remember those days,ahhh to be young again.

This was a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out tot he family whom lost a loved one today.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

My prayers go out to the families. I couldn't imagine what that lady is going thru right now.
Since they closed down the jax track, there has been more street racing and people dying. What is it going to take before the politicians in jax let another track be built? What if it was one of their family members getting hurt/killed? There was a lot less street racing when we had a track to play on. Yes, I know there was still some street racing going on, but no where as much. I don't know how many times I have told people to take it to a track. The streets are no place for it.
I know that I am guilty of screaming on 95, but I try to make sure that I'm not in major traffic.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

racing happens alot on that street...usually at 4am on saturdays...and they get run off

this seems like another couple of jackass's showing off
Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

updated story
person who died was in one of the other cars and was an ex-cop...the acura driver was treated, released, and jailed...

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...51015009.shtml
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Last night I hit a light about 1/2 mile before my house that had an 02-04 Vette in the other lane. He breaks the rear end loose when it went green. I wasn't planning to race him.

Something overrode the logical part of my brain and mashed the pedal down around 10 mph. I passed him by about 2 cars and seemed to be pulling slow until about 75-80.

The guy passed me after I let off and slowed down to give me a thumbs up.

Anyway, it was a huge rush, but by the time I got home I was muttering 'stupid ***' to myself for doing it.

There weren't any cars for a good ways ahead of us but still.. Felt guilty. How the hell can you possibly resist that situation? heh.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I can remembe going to super shops on atlantic and racing right there on atlantic. No traffic and 6 lanes but most importantly racing someone who know how to race.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by momacoz
My prayers go out to the families. I couldn't imagine what that lady is going thru right now.
Since they closed down the jax track, there has been more street racing and people dying. What is it going to take before the politicians in jax let another track be built? What if it was one of their family members getting hurt/killed? There was a lot less street racing when we had a track to play on. Yes, I know there was still some street racing going on, but no where as much. I don't know how many times I have told people to take it to a track. The streets are no place for it.
I know that I am guilty of screaming on 95, but I try to make sure that I'm not in major traffic.
Same problem with closing tracks in south Florida, street racing went up. I agree it'd be nice to have another track on the east coast, but price on land and the whiners on noise...

Originally Posted by yellowbird1232
I can remembe going to super shops on atlantic and racing right there on atlantic. No traffic and 6 lanes but most importantly racing someone who know how to race.
I remember that. Talk about the most organized and not as dangerous (although all street racing is dangerous to an extent) racing on the street, of course the last time I was there was in 1996 with a 14 second car

Derek
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

is it just me or did any body else not relize that a tsx has no chance in a race verses a gt but they were right next to each other or that they still havent gotten a statement from the driver who was "street racing"
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

current update acura driver said the two werent racing but he was upset cause the mustang driver cut him off
Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Did said mustang driver have his flashers on? Oh by the way I saw a blue mustang in Jax this morning. There were no news vehicles chasing him though.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I went to NAS Jax a few times, I didn't even like driving normally in that area, always seems really busy there. So about those tracks........ Cuba has to be opened up, deport all those people and retirees that complain about noise! They are probably the same people that complain about street racing, but they don't realize their actions of shutting down tracks helps promote this behavior. I'm sure people that bitch about track noise realize the track is there, yet they move close to it. Its their own damn fault. Me I could live across from a track and be very very happy.

Wonder if they will ever find the Mustang?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, people complain because of the noise of the tracks but then **** like this happens. The kids with the imports watch movies like the fast and the furious and dont realize its fake. Then they go off thinking their superman after they watch the movie and indanger innocent people. My prayers go out to the lost and their families.

RIP

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street racers kill 1 and hurt 4 on Rosevelt Blvd, in front of NAS JAX.