Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

shop relocation to florida, good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop relocation to florida, good idea?

I've been contemplating moving my business from the upstate NY area to Florida over the last year. I own a turbo parts fabrication shop that's almost 100% web based at this point, and I wouldnt mind moving it somewhere where there is an active car culture and an economy better than what ours has been over the last decade or so.

I know you guys get a million "should I move to florida" posts and I think I've read them all, but I really couldnt find anyone looking to relocate their business. I have friends and family in the Melbourne, Deland and New Smyrna area's but they really arent into the car scene so they havent been able to give me alot of info.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the economy is pinching everywhere. My pay isn't solid enough right now to decide how the economy is over here, but if your buisness is webbased, I don't see a real reason to relocate. I think if you are a talented welder/fabricator, you would be well off to get in with a good shop down here as a...you work with them but not for them sort of thing.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Teching In

At this point I just want to be somewhere there is a car culture, we do almost all web business because we really don't have much of a local scene. When the average household income is in the $25k a year range it doesnt leave alot left over for hot rods.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by punishment
At this point I just want to be somewhere there is a car culture, we do almost all web business because we really don't have much of a local scene. When the average household income is in the $25k a year range it doesnt leave alot left over for hot rods.
I grew up in Socal, where the car coulture is Huge. After living mutiple other places (in country and out) i would say Florida is a close second to cali, lots of car stuff here, and the weather permits year round participation
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Central/North FL is probably your best bet. The Carolinas are quite car-centric as well. South Florida is now full of luxo-pimps and rice - nothing you could contribute to.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

with all the prices coming down in the florida/ and the rest of the U.S. now is definatly the time to move.

Tampa, and Miami have good cultures.

If you are just web based look for a good place to call home. As there are cars everywhere.

I sent you a pm.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
I grew up in Socal, where the car coulture is Huge. After living mutiple other places (in country and out) i would say Florida is a close second to cali, lots of car stuff here, and the weather permits year round participation
Thanks for the input that's kind of what I hoping to hear, coming from someone in the business down there and who has been around a bit thats good to hear!!!

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
Central/North FL is probably your best bet. The Carolinas are quite car-centric as well. South Florida is now full of luxo-pimps and rice - nothing you could contribute to.
Thats the areas we were leaning towards, I've heard mixed things about southern florida

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
with all the prices coming down in the florida/ and the rest of the U.S. now is definatly the time to move.

Tampa, and Miami have good cultures.

If you are just web based look for a good place to call home. As there are cars everywhere.

I sent you a pm.
Thanks for the links and the info I appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Central FL (orlando'ish) would be good so your close to all of us. Umm.. what about texas? Thought that its a big hotrod spot. I was in San Diego, CA for a while and there were alot of nice cars but, CA emissions laws are retarded which would keep me from wanting to live there and mod a car out.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Teching In

The emissions laws are getting bad enough here in NY, I wouldnt even want think about what the shops in CA must go through.

Texas isnt for me, Florida I've been to a probably 10-12 times and I've always wanted to stay when I've been there, plus I already have friend's and family there which would make the move a little easier.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

I can only think of a couple turbo-type shops here in Orlando...and they both cater toward imports alot more. I think you could do well.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I told you SouthFL, If you can get closer to NW, I would be all over some turbo stuff...your welds look like magic.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

theres no really big turbo shop in melbourne although we have a decent scene.. but from some one who deals daily with your repair shops in the area if you are gunna do regular repaiurs as a daily thing.. nows not the time..
Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

There is alot of turbo outlaw 10.5 and dragradial race teams in FL. If you go to the heads up race series at Immokalee and at Sunshine in Tampa every month you could find some new customers.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

yea dont do south fla it sucks here :"(
Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

I second the orlando area.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the great responses so far. With this shaky economy it makes things even tougher to figure out. Our area has been in about a 15 year decline so it probably wont affect things here as much.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

I would shoot for the Carolinas if you are web based. The car culture in the southern states seems strong, and property in the carolinas is relatively inexpensive- great if you are web based! South Florida is too expensive for a primarily web based company in my opinion. Now, if you open up a fabrication style business, I think there is a ton of business in Florida for that kind of thing...

Erik
Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a ton of buisness for a shop such as w2w that does bad *** fabrication as said above but a web based shop wont matter where u go so move where u want to live.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Where in upstate? I came from Bingo, and I remember wrenching in the winter in the heated garage. The car culture seemed full of Street Rods and the likes there, and it would only run from May to Sept. Florida is nice because of the year round weather and has a great cult.

With all the snowbirds and relocates here (yea, me included), you would be right at home.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Teching In

tampa would prob give you alot of buisness

Quick Reply: shop relocation to florida, good idea?