Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Carry Weapon > Which option would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my advice is get a carry weapon that you are 100% happy with. go to some gun shops and hold a few and make sure it fits your hand comfortably, see how they would conceal in your everyday attire, and dont settle for something because it is 100bucks cheaper then the one you really want.

Glock has many different models in compact and subcompact and the aftermarket is endless.

i prefer model 23 (.40 compact) and 30 (.45 sub compact) model 21 is nice, but it is to big to carry, its great for the range, and there is a 50cal conversion for it.. ive also been eye balling the 33 (.357 )
http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

some indoor ranges have guns you can try out and rent, so if you don't know anyone with the gun you want you may want to look into renting it at the range
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RIDINFILTHY
i got a .380 and absolutely dont carry it on me, i just cant fathem going to prison for killing someone so i dont carry one or worry about getting shot!! just my 2 cents
well if you think you may shoot someone under a circumstance where you would go to prison over it, then it is better that you dont carry one.

if a situation is so heated where i have to pull out a fire arm, then the person is getting shot. dont pull a gun unless you are going to fire, bottom line... you only pull it out if your life or someone else's is in imminent danger

i know i have better self control since being in possession of a concealed firearm. if someone cuts me off i just let it slide. when before carrying i would flip out, try to cut him off and tell the guy to "SUCK A BAG OF DICKS".
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
To those suggesting to hit different parts of the body think of this. Next time you are at the range....go for some head shots on a silhoette target from about 10 yards, then 15 yards. Then, go for center mass. Tell me which one you hit more . Now....add to the fact that the bad guy will be moving, you will be nervous as ****, and you won't have the luxury of lining up your sights before shooting.....it will be simply a point and shoot scenario. Only time I use my sights are in qualifing. When I'm out shooting on my own and try to just point and shoot as much as possible to get the best muscle memory for when I have to use my gun.
Actually try to shoot the target at 10-15 yards not in a "range stance" and have 5-7 seconds to do so. That's more realitic, I say practice draing from the holster you will carry(you'll need private land most likely to do so). I am really accurate when breathing and getting into a stance, hows about when my heart rate is elevated and I have to rush???? The Marine Corp taught me the difference.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RIDINFILTHY
i got a .380 and absolutely dont carry it on me, i just cant fathem going to prison for killing someone so i dont carry one or worry about getting shot!! just my 2 cents
No insult intended, so please don't take it as such, but that is the weakest excuse I've seen for not carrying. Florida's self defense laws were modified in 2005, and are now among the most friendly in the country as far as being able to apply lethal force to defend yourself goes. Leaving it at home isn't going to remove the threat of getting shot by a bad guy. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

I live by the philosophy that it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deadcities
I live by the philosophy that it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by presto_z
well if you think you may shoot someone under a circumstance where you would go to prison over it, then it is better that you dont carry one.

if a situation is so heated where i have to pull out a fire arm, then the person is getting shot. dont pull a gun unless you are going to fire, bottom line... you only pull it out if your life or someone else's is in imminent danger

i know i have better self control since being in possession of a concealed firearm. if someone cuts me off i just let it slide. when before carrying i would flip out, try to cut him off and tell the guy to "SUCK A BAG OF DICKS".
I would rather get shot than "suck a bag of dicks"

a bag of dicks?

"
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

It's not always black and white like that. Case in point: I had a guy come at me with a baseball bat one time. I drew down on him and he immediately stopped in his tracks and turned around and ran. Had I popped shots off, I'd have been guilty of murder, as by the time I had drawn and was in a position to fire, he was no longer threatening me, and was retreating. I intended to shoot, but when I noticed he was ceasing to move towards me when he saw me drawing, I knew I shouldn't fire, so I didn't.

I am totally in agreement with you on the point of attitude changing when carrying. I am so much less inclined to get involved in petty things that can quickly escalate into violence. Carrying a pistol "grew me up" a good bit when it came to getting into arguments/fights over trivial matters like road rage, etc.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you shot and killed him i don't think you would have been charged with murder if he was within a few feet of you since he was coming after you with a bat.. now if he was 30ft away coming towards you and you shot then you could be, but it would probably be ruled as self defense.

but i guess if by the time i pulled the gun he had stopped his charge then i probably would not fire.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by troopercar
I would rather get shot than "suck a bag of dicks"

a bag of dicks?

"
this will explain it
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UMy6wVNdllI
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

if you shot and killed him i don't think you would have been charged with murder
I'll try to explain the mechanics of the incident. It's weird how many small details you can remember when 'fight or flight' kicks in. It's literally like slow motion.
He slowed when he saw me reach under my shirt (to get to my IWB Holster), and by the time I had started to pull it, he had stopped in his tracks. By the time the barrel was pointed at him, he had already partially turned, and wasn't completely facing me. Analyzing it in retrospect, I think he'd probably seen the business end of a gun before, as he seemed to know exactly what was happening when I put my hand under the tail of my shirt.

I probably could have gotten away with it, but I was trained that if you have time to think about whether or not to shoot, you probably shouldn't. I can remember clearly thinking "SHOOT?SHOOT?SHOOT? NO!"
The incident happened just over a year ago, and honestly, I still play it out in my head every now and then, and I've come to the conclusion that not firing was the right course of action.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

The saying is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

By the way Fl peeps HB-503 looks to have passed! SWEEEEEET!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

The CZ RAMI .40S&W is a nice carry piece.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try to explain the mechanics of the incident. It's weird how many small details you can remember when 'fight or flight' kicks in. It's literally like slow motion.
He slowed when he saw me reach under my shirt (to get to my IWB Holster), and by the time I had started to pull it, he had stopped in his tracks. By the time the barrel was pointed at him, he had already partially turned, and wasn't completely facing me. Analyzing it in retrospect, I think he'd probably seen the business end of a gun before, as he seemed to know exactly what was happening when I put my hand under the tail of my shirt.

I probably could have gotten away with it, but I was trained that if you have time to think about whether or not to shoot, you probably shouldn't. I can remember clearly thinking "SHOOT?SHOOT?SHOOT? NO!"
The incident happened just over a year ago, and honestly, I still play it out in my head every now and then, and I've come to the conclusion that not firing was the right course of action.
albeit it may have been the right decision by means of not taking a life pulling a weapon and NOT using it in public can cost u 10 yrs in prison.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
albeit it may have been the right decision by means of not taking a life pulling a weapon and NOT using it in public can cost u 10 yrs in prison.
I would disagree with you there. You are under no obligation to use the weapon if you pull it, but you'd better be in a legitimate self defense situation if you do.
If your life is in imminent danger and you pull your weapon, but the situation is solved without firing shots, you are not going to be prosecuted for improperly displaying a firearm. It's not the same as just waving a gun around, or pointing it at someone for no reason.
I went over the entire event with my attorney within 2 hours of it happening.

Last edited by deadcities; 04-10-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

I carry a KelTec .380. Really easy to conceal. I have a Glock 26, but that's a bit tougher to hide.
I don't leave home without them.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by signal12
I carry a KelTec .380. Really easy to conceal. I have a Glock 26, but that's a bit tougher to hide.
I don't leave home without them.
Signal12, have you seen KelTec's PF9 9mm, I have the P3AT .380 like you; the PF9 is only about a half an inch bigger in length on grip and slide. I have been carrying that and I love it.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I carry a Beretta 92FS. I picked up a flush-fit 18 round mag for it, so I've got 19 rounds (18+1) in the weapon at any given time.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Kahr PM9.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1fastls1ss
Signal12, have you seen KelTec's PF9 9mm, I have the P3AT .380 like you; the PF9 is only about a half an inch bigger in length on grip and slide. I have been carrying that and I love it.
My wife got me the .380 for Christmas, before I knew there was a 9mm out.
I heard that they're very similar in length and the width is just about the same.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would disagree with you there. You are under no obligation to use the weapon if you pull it, but you'd better be in a legitimate self defense situation if you do.
If your life is in imminent danger and you pull your weapon, but the situation is solved without firing shots, you are not going to be prosecuted for improperly displaying a firearm. It's not the same as just waving a gun around, or pointing it at someone for no reason.
I went over the entire event with my attorney within 2 hours of it happening.
i have also been thru this and was told the oppossite. so i guess its all in who is at ur bench if the time comes

Quick Reply: Carry Weapon > Which option would you pick?