Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Eckler's Camarofest October 18,2008 in Titusville

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to argue with you. It was not a 1000 pt show. I used that as an example of what they look at. You tell me about the leaf, you have been a judge before right? If you are not there to take the leaf or dust out and a judge sees it, more than likely you will get a deduction. But that is why you have windows up and tops on before judging begins in a 1000 pt show. I got dinged for dirt grains in my wheels after a hard rain that I was not able to get too before the start of judging this year at Old Town and they all knew it rained but it didn't matter. I still got the deduction.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't belive I missed this. Mr.Eckler did a lot of work on my dads vette a while ago back in the day. I want to go but saw the tread way to late.

Did anybody get pics of the event? I would like to see.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...rofest%202008/

I have about 200 up right now.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
Just because a car does not have paint does not mean he can't place. His car was not even in the same class with the F-bodies. E.....
They aren't talking about the Chevelle, it was a black T/A, Form or Bird, I don't remember which. The hood was closed on it when I saw it and all the clear was peeling off and the base coat was heavily oxidized. It won second for 4th Gen Pontiac (modified), and there were many other T/As and Birds in far better condition in his class. I'm not a car show guy but I do know fit and finish when it comes to restoration and Paint/body, my car which I did not even bother to bring down and register was in far better shape then the T/A in question.

Last edited by torquejunky; 10-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why should the Berger Hot Rod car not be considered stock? If an SS, WS6, and or Firehawk can be considered stock why not a Berger Hotrod car? Now maybe they should have a dealer modified class and this class should include ALL SS, WS6’s, Firehawks, and GMMG cars.

Maybe what people putting on car shows need to do is have an extra check box on registration forms and for an additional $10-$20 you will get a trophy in your goodie bag and choose which category you want to win.

It’s a car show just have fun bringing your car out to the show. Remember at any given time we all have come away empty handed. If that hurts your feelings maybe you need to stick to local cruise-ins and stay away from judged events.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
I am not going to argue with you. It was not a 1000 pt show. I used that as an example of what they look at. You tell me about the leaf, you have been a judge before right? If you are not there to take the leaf or dust out and a judge sees it, more than likely you will get a deduction. But that is why you have windows up and tops on before judging begins in a 1000 pt show. I got dinged for dirt grains in my wheels after a hard rain that I was not able to get too before the start of judging this year at Old Town and they all knew it rained but it didn't matter. I still got the deduction.
Well rain is alot worse then a leaf blowing in the wind. And or would you deduct pollen that is impossible to get rid of. Wind blows and it happened yeasterday at the baldwinpark show.

No i wouldnt deduct pollin or a leaf or a dead bug. Sorry im not going to stand by my car 247. I need to eat or use the bathroom. But if there is dirt grain or some crapy paint yes i would deduct points.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Well it looks like the can of worms has been opened up once again for yet another judged show. By "judged show" I mean volunteers who are donating their time and efforts so that others can enjoy what is suppose to be a fun event. This was not a "participants choice" judged event, talk about a rigged way to judge cars......."lets all vote for "....." car this week and then "....." at the next show.

I was at CamaroFest and am a member, in fact an officer, of CCCF. We as a club have been asked to help with Ecklers events and thankfully our members are willing to give of their time to try and provide an enjoyable event for all that attend. Are we perfect? no, do we try to correct our mistakes and try not to let them happen again? yes.

The parking issue that was raised in an earlier post, I am not aware of any problems that were parking related. Seemed to me that people were able to find a spot to park and get on with the show. If you would like to PM me I will look into your complaint and respond as soon as I have a answer.

Judging: Hmmm, where do I start, First off to the best of my knowledge CCCF was not asked to judge at this event. We were to provide help with registration, classification, parking, and overall general help with the running of the show. Now, I will say that I was approached to judge some cars, mostly likely because I have experience judging in the Ecklers system and have been trusted to be fair in my appraisal of cars at these type of events. The first group I was asked to judge was a 4th gen. Camaro class....opps sorry I own a 4th gen and can not and will not judge cars that would be competing against my car. I ended up judging (1) 1st gen Camaro and (3) 4th gen Trans Am's. A little insight into the judging sheets, 200 total points, areas to be judged: fit of body, finish of body including moldings, condition of paint, engine compartment, engine and accessories, wheels, tires and suspension, interior to include carpet, seats, dash, headliner, and any interior trim. This is not for the "wash and wax the day before" type of crowd although if you are very good at detailing, you could do well with a days worth of prep for a show like this. The area that probably recieves the largest deductions in judging is cleanliness. It is not that the cars are filthy but that the attention to details is lacking. Take for example: one of the cars I judged was in the modified class and it was very well presented for this show. Had a difficult time finding faults that I could justify taking a full point deduction. I ended up marking 1/2 pt. deductions because IMO that was a fair score for the area being judged. There was one area that even though it was highly detailed and obviously well thought out in its execution and presentation, had what I would see as a minor flaw and that was the use of a couple of non-chrome and rusty plugs in the intake even though there were chrome ones used on other areas of the engine....1 pt. deduction. I am not out to destroy anyones car in the judging process, rather I like to think that I give an accurate, impartial accounting of the cars I am asked to judge. If judging sheets are available after the show, get them and use them to correct any areas you want to score higher.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of who should or shouldn't have come away with an award but I have to say that unless you are willing to take the time to learn and volunteer to judge, you really need to rethink why you are coming to a car show. We all know "trophy hounds" that only come for the hardware and if they don't win throw a hissy fit. I think the bigger picture needs to be looked at, we come together because of a common bond (the cars) and in doing so we meet new people and make friendships and learn something from eachother.

Ecklers put on a good event for all who attended and I personally am glad that companies like Ecklers are out there to promote our hobby and provide products that we can use to build, restore and preserve our cars for as long as possible. It may not have been a perfect event, but few are. At the end of the day I can say I enjoyed myself and enjoyed the company I was with, regardless if I have a plaque to show for it or not.

Sorry if I rambled on and ruffled anyones feathers with this post but I have felt for a long time that the "local" show car scene has had an element of intensity that needs to be throttled back a bit. Leave that stuff for the "Riddler" type shows, time to go out and enjoy our cars for what they are and be opened minded about what other owners consider important in their choice of show vehicles.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Was this the car that got the 2# place mod f-body with the flaking hood paint? That's my little baby Enjoyed the show! Sorry we had to roll out early before the awards. Bad paint posse member #2 my brother has the ls sawp chevelle next to it.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a good time at the show.. my question is why did some cars get a green sticker on the headlights? Was it a deduction, or an indicator for a second look, or what?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

I figured they were only judging F-bodies. We just came out for a cruise and to have a good time.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ That was the whole point of having it! To have a good time.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a response typed, but deleted it. Not worth my aggrevation.

Firehawk, nice to meet you! Let me know if you ever need any help, and we'll see you over in Daytona one of these weeks!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Green stickers on the headlights indicated that your car had been judged. I asked why some had them and some didn't, answer, they ran out of stickers......duh??????????
Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

Okay... anybody know where i placed in 4th gen modified. I left about 2:30. I really didnt clean it up for the show.i just wanted to go to have fun. but my paint was in great condition.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Come on the hood could of been buffed out LOL
Old 10-19-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stealth71
I didn't know who got second place we left around 2:30. Sorry if some car doesn't have paint, but I can guarantee they have more time and money into it than your work of art.

Were you even in the modified class. There were only 2 LS swaps in the parking lot and the other was a LS7 Camaro that someone paid to have built.

Any way it was my first show and I just got the car on the road last week. It's all go and no show and I guess others build them for different reasons.

- I guess the black WS6 won 2nd?. That thing is built. Who knows we left early. Do they post the results?

OK I gaurantee the Trans Am that got that second place award but had no clearcoat left on the hood has not got anywhere close to the time I have in mine, so dont even go there. Not one modification on my car has been shopped out, I have done every bit of every mod on it. So before you know what you are talking about, you may want to check it out first.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK guys, I highly doubt it was a 1000 pt show. When modified cars won in stock class, that is not 1000pt. I never said I should win, just some of the cars that did, were not the best choices. Not that there was anything wrong with having the cars there, or that they were junk, just not the best choices. Then we get attacked and told that our cars are ****????? We will just not go back next year. And the awards can go to the core guys and we wont complain. Thats all.

You are right, it is all about hanging out and having fun, but when things are just blatent, it is a little irritating

Last edited by mnypitZ; 10-19-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -=01Z28=-
i will say this... a car [or rather carS] that wins 1 place in most classes, and is owned by a member of the car club helping host the show [tech inspectors and all] looks to the average person like a bit of a scam...

and to kwiksilver... a bit of a heads up, they do judge more than engine bays at car shows, having a procharger doesn't = wins
And you joined LS1tech today to tell him that?? A little defensive are we??
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Umm I've done all the mods on my car. When was the last time you built a custom dual 3" x piped exhaust through a umi frame mount toque arm. I have completely taken apart my car and put it back together again from the moser 9" install to the new motor. Don't be a hater! Oh by the way I know no one at Eckler's!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
And you joined LS1tech today to tell him that?? A little defensive are we??
No doubt! The blower was one of the the easier of the mods. I have more time in the LS6 manifold smoothing and paint than that blower install took.

Oh, and to the above poster, not a hater! When I read "mods by owner" I tend to give more credit. I do all my own, and I know how much harder it is than just writing a check.

Quick Reply: Eckler's Camarofest October 18,2008 in Titusville