Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

guys with vented rocker covers inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blazin
Still working good? Trying to figure out what to do for my new setup.
Every thing is good so far. I live in parkcity UT and we've gotten about 200" of snow in the past 2 months so the cars been sitting in my shop for the winter. I put about 100 miles and 20-30 6k shifts on it and no more oil on the engine and the timing cover seal hasn't moved. Here's the finished pics.

http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/241
The hose on the right goes to the front driver side rocker cover and the hose on the left goes to the rear of the driver side rocker cover. PCV nipple on the intake is capped and the rear passingers side rocker cover hole is plued.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been reading through this thread and i want to eliminate my pcv system and run a vented can off of each cover i was just wondering would this be a good system for just about a daily driver and long drives. or would a seal can be more practical
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

The reason for the vented catch can is to exhaust the crank case pressure, so the sealed unit wouldn't be helping. I and many others pushed seals out of the engine with the stock pcv system and its not fun!!! I dont see the need for 2 cans, I vented both sides to one can and haven't had any seals pushing out or any more oil mess.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you increase the size , or number of puke tank lines, the velocity will decrease, and no "blow" as much oil out..
also,
if you cannot put a 'steel wool' pre screen inline,
try a baffel of some sorts , so the oil has to turn corners, and then may not be explelled out the line.

ash
Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had issues in another race car i owned, engine ws fresh but used to push oil out the seals etc after a caining. It had 2 breathers on the rocker cover no baffles that routed to a catch can located above them, and it still would push oil out. What I figured was that there was a lot of oil in the rocker covers at higher rpm trying to drain back to the sump creating more resistance for the gases to escape so I fitted a dash 10 line to the mech fuel pump block off plate at the front of the sump(so oil runs to the rear whilst full throttle) and it allowed an effective pressure relief and this fixed the issue. Just some food for thought.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hymey
I had issues in another race car i owned, engine ws fresh but used to push oil out the seals etc after a caining. It had 2 breathers on the rocker cover no baffles that routed to a catch can located above them, and it still would push oil out. What I figured was that there was a lot of oil in the rocker covers at higher rpm trying to drain back to the sump creating more resistance for the gases to escape so I fitted a dash 10 line to the mech fuel pump block off plate at the front of the sump(so oil runs to the rear whilst full throttle) and it allowed an effective pressure relief and this fixed the issue. Just some food for thought.
Cool idea. Have any pic's of this.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

my old car i ran a breather on the driverside valve cover,capped the rear pass valve cover and ran a line from my front pass valve cover to my non vented catch can to the intake manifold. Never had a problem.no pcv valve either

input on this setup tho? cause my new car needs a new setup

not a FI car tho
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

very nice work.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took an old sweat ban that I use when playing tennis and stuck it over the breather filter and it catches and oil and still lets the pressure build up out and then just take it off and wash it out.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

i use a ck valve in the line to the d/s pcv valve, and a screw in breather where the oil filler is on the pass side-i run around 12 lbs boost, always dry as a bone(Procharger/carb)
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i use a ck valve in the line to the d/s pcv valve, and a screw in breather where the oil filler is on the pass side-i run around 12 lbs boost, always dry as a bone(Procharger/carb)
You don't get any oil leaking out of the filter on the oil fill cap?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

im putting a procharger on my car and everyone keeps asking me about a catch can. what does this help with forced induction?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

You dont want oil going through the pcv system and in to the intake manifold, the oil can cause detonation. So the catch can will keep the oil from reaching the intake. In my case the stock PCV system was not able to keep up with the crank case pressure created from forced air blowing by the rings. There are a few horror stories in this thread of seals pushing out due to crank case pressure. Thats why I have removed the entire PCV and have both rocker covers vented to a vented catch can. When I have the money I will buy a belt driven vacume pump to suck out the crank case presure.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

As i understand you need -10 -> -12 hose size? Is the stock hose says way to thin? Ive got some issues with having that big hose from the driver side.
Will it work with a -10 on the passanger side and just keep the stock hose from the driver side and use two breather tanks?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend welded this up for me from scrap that he had laying around. Only thing he didn't make was the hose and the filter on the catch can. Works great.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

in my procharger kit it says a line runs from the filter pipe off the charger to the passenger side valve cover??
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

i use a PCV valve on the d/s with a ck valve, (so i dont blow boost in the engine) and on the pass side i got one of those filters that twist in where the oil filler cap goes-engine is dry as a bone
Fri i made 3 passes at the track, hit 7K on a couple shifts, no leakage
i orig made up a breather deal in the valley pan, had oil leakage there, so i fig it was just to low
i also have UMI v/c spacers, for the Comp rockers, maybe that gives a little more room to breath-i just capped off the nipple on the p/s v/c, it was used for the F/I setup, i run a carb
i run around 12-14 lbs boost
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i just did mine, 2 -10 fitting welded to the valley cover, one center/rear and the other center/front. 2 -10 lines from them to my catch can. Again a little pricy and can only do it if you have a vic jr style intake. But its fool proof and no lines can blow off or anything of that sort.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice... ^^^
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

on my procharger it says a line gos to the passenger side valve cover vent connector

Quick Reply: guys with vented rocker covers inside