Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My KYTP build

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up My KYTP build

For about past year I have been at the same level with my car. Just your average ms4, fast 90/NW 90, and 150 dry shot. I was pretty happy with it but I wanted more. I have planned on going FI for awhile but didn't know whether to go with a D1sc or a turbo. Well back in the spring a friend let me drive his 350whp s.r.t.-4 and I was hooked on a turbo. I could not stop laughing at how this came from having no ***** what so ever to bring pretty quick when it spooled up. So I was sold on a turbo and here I am.

The run down

"Major new parts"

Kentucky Turbo kit
T76 with F1 compressor wheel (bought from a friend)

LME 370 8.6:1
Ported 317
LMR custom cam 239*/234*, .639"/.629" 115lsa

"Minor parts"

Auto-meter Boost gauge
Auto-meter Fuel pressure gauge
Turbo XS manual boost controller
BMR tubular K-member
FAST 3 bar sensor
Casper harness
Derale electric fans x2
Dynomax 24" bullet
3" cutout
Turbonetics heat shield
Poly motor mounts
SJM abs delete kit w/ line lock
LPE 2-step

"Existing parts"

Fast90/NW90
Hooker cat-back
Spec stage 3+ clutch
PST 3.5 aluminum drive shaft
Moser 9" 35 spline, Locker, 3.89 gear
AutoMeter Wideband
42lb svo Injectors
Racetronics Walbro 255
BMR Chrome moly adjustable Panhard bar
BMR Chrome Moly Control Arms
BMR Relocation Brackets
HAL QA1 F-Series rear-shocks
HAL QA1 R-series front-shocks
Hotchkis Sub-frame
Spohn drag rear sway bar
UMI Adjustable Torque-arm w/ ds loop

In the future I will up upgrade the fuel system with a entire custom build. I already have all the parts needed save in a summit cart just waiting from me to checkout.

I also know my gear isn't the best choice so I am getting to switch out to a 3.25 rear gear. When greg weld pulls there heads out of there asses and designs a wheel that doesn't require you to all but remove the rear breaks I will pick up a set and run a 325/50/15 MT

I know the tranny isn't built and probably will not last all that long. I am having a hard time deciding on getting the t56 built or going with a th400. My main goal for the car right now is 140+mph traps. If I can get that I think I will be happy.

Enough of the bs here are some picture of what I have done so far with the help of TheBlurLS1.

The real downside to a truck manifold kit is fact that the manifolds are just plain ugly. I decided to smooth them out the best I could before getting them coated. I think they look better than they did.

The guys at LME do great work and are nice people, this motor is spotless.

The heads are hand ported, Brian at LME told me the name of the guy but I have forgotten now. He said the guy used to work at MTI if anyone knows who that maybe.

Last edited by Sluggish; 11-27-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Just some parts that came in.

And now some work begins, we did this Sunday. I was really surprise how fast we got it out. Only took around 3 and half hours. It was way easier than I thought.

Then got some more parts in yesterday as well as bolted up (Zip tied) the hot side together just to look at it and see how it fit. The time change really screw up my ability to work on the car after work. Here is a shot of my mess also.

I want this car to be super quite. Going through the turbo, bullet and hooker I think it will be. I read that the hooker is not the best choice for flow so that is why I bought the cutout.

I was thinking that this was going to be the soft style blanket when I ordered it. I am not sure how good it will work but if it doesn't I will just buy a different one.

Here is the mock up.

So that is where I am at. I finished smoothing the other manifold today and will ship it and the other hot parts out for coating tomorrow. My gaskets and motor mounts should be here before the weekend so maybe I can set the motor on the k-member and get the trans/ suspension also bolted up. If it goes the way I am planning I will install the kit with the motor in the car.

I am trying to have this complete before the end of the month so I can catch the LMR tuning special they are having right now. That will save me $200 bucks.

I wanted to make this build thread because there really isn't one for the KYTP kit. There isn't a whole lot of picture of it installed much less being installed.

I will keep this updated, feel free to ask any questions or give any input. I am a newbie to the turbo game.

-Ben

Last edited by Sluggish; 11-04-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very nice setup. its cool to see the pic of the car lifted off the engine. shows people it can be done without a lift. I was thinking about going with that kit but decide to wait and do my own twin build. love there work on there kits.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like that setup; thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Gotta respect the driveway builds Wish I had the skill as some of you guys out there lol! Your build looks good so far, cant wait to see the end result.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build. I love the driveway wrk, gives me hope yet.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build, Cant wait to see more pictures
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

kickass, you knocked a good chunk of work out pretty quick, is the guy greg good? good luck should come together nicely
Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Nice work/pics. I just got mine (KYTP) running today doing my fuel system next week and the an E85 tune! Still on sotck motor for now short block build will begin shortly! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Nice setup!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
kickass, you knocked a good chunk of work out pretty quick, is the guy greg good? good luck should come together nicely
Wasn't Greg Good, I have read that name many times. I thought he quit porting heads anyways?

I will probably build my fuel system after Christmas, that way I can push it on up there in power. I will just have to deal with somewhere in the low to mid 500hp range until then.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOVE the cam specs!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Ben let me know if you need anything. Looking good so far bro.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great, Josh builds a nice kit thats for sure.

J
Old 11-05-2008, 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a solid setup. I think you'll be happy with how the turbo/bullet/hooker catback sounds. When I first got my setup going I had a 3" to 4" stepped downpipe with a 4" magnaflow muffler turned down at the axle. It was wayyy too loud/droney for me even thru a bullet then the magnaflow. I just had the magnaflow chopped off, a 4" cutout put there in place of it, and had a hooker cb installed out back. It sounds very similar to my SLP dual/dual muffler I had on my last h/c car. I think you'll like how quiet and tame it makes it. It sure does build boost A LOT faster with the cutout open though...
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Great choice on the LME motor and cam specs. The pics are great too, Cant wait to see the type of power the driveway shop can produce.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Got some work done today, I had to swing by Sears on the way home from work and buy some halogen flood lights because the other set quit working. The bulbs were burnt out in them and we bought some new ones but they still didn't work. So I bought this new set and install the first bulb. I plugged it in and turned it out to find out it didn't work either. I was thinking WTF Craftsman. So I pulled it out and flipped it over then re-installed it worked. Who would have thought the bulbs were directional. TheBlur went and flipped the bulbs in the older light and they started working also, so now we have two sets. LOL

All I did is remove the front suspension and steering rack then bolted it up to the new k-member. We also removed the front bumper to possibly see how the IC mounted. I didn't get any paper work saying how Josh had designed it. After looking at it we came to the conclusion to use a chop saw and cut out the center section of the bumper support. Then mount the box tubing on top of that and let the IC hang from it. Is this correct Josh? Also where did you tap the oil pan at?

I shipped out the hot parts today to a shop in Houston for coating. I am thinking I should get them back some day next week. I am waiting on the motor mounts now so I can put the motor on the k-member and the trans. I

I will probably remove the rest of the covers off the old motor tomorrow and the trans. I am not sure what else I can do right now. Maybe paint the valve covers, valley cover and timing cover black. We will see tomorrow.

Nice pile of exhaust.

Doesn't the scoop look rusted. lol
Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with the build that turbo is as big as my head
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

You are correct on the FMIC mounting.

Quick Reply: My KYTP build