Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I finally took the FI route...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, looks like the car won't be finished today. They were working with some other customers on other cars. They put half a day into it on Saturday. The engine, trans, and k-member are back in the car and the clearance looks good. There were some other issues with the kit too, and they're just going along as they know how to do it now.

-RMCR fabbed tranny spacers.

-The throttle body cable bracket isn't clearing the hood, so that will have to be clearanced as well. Apparently this was never a described issue with the kit and there has been mention from the sponsor that no cutting of the hood was necessary.

-The k-member spacers didn't even come painted. Powdercoating would have been really nice, but I got spacers that are going to rust? Not much attention to detail on that one.

-The dowel pins on the k-member aren't even in the holes on the frame, so Mark spent a good bit of time eyeballing it, shifting the engine and trans around until it was as centered as he could get it and having an appearance the pins were going to go in, and then tightening the k member down with the spacers. This is obvious in one of the photos below. LM Speed could have simply provided a method of extending these pins, or just used another spacer with a little tit on it so the alignment pins could be used with their setup. Would have saved lots of time on the install and ensure the k-member was back on straight and the car was squared up.

-Extending the steering shaft will need to be done. They have a way around this as well, but they'll get it all figured out.

Again though, no instructions on any of this stuff.

I understand that there are going to be some issues with a custom kit like this, but I would figure that these things would have been taken care of. I was told from the Sponsor "you and your friends can bolt this kit in with handtools in 8-10 hrs."

Yeah.....right. We stood around my car laughing at that one for a bit.

It's not the worst forced induction kit they have seen and installed and they like it better than an STS. But the general thoughts between all of us is that it could use some minor details.

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...jpg?1237839436

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...jpg?1237839441

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

That sucks. It's good that you have smart guys working on it though. I wonder if MTI has the same kind of problems.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather have the cowl cut up then doing all the little BS to clearance it from the bottom.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised LM Speed hasn't spoke up at this point. They seem to be all about customer service from what I have read in the past and you certainly aren't a satisfied customer at this point.

I will be anxious to see if an how they help out.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Well, I checked in on the car again today, it's almost finished. No pics to report, but they got fuel and brakes reconnected and bled. Steering shaft problem fixed, which was a stretch. Torque arm, exhaust, driveshaft and suspension reattached. Needed to also put spacers above my DSL which they made because the driveshaft was touching it.

All that's left is clearancing the hood, installing the magnavolt, put the cowl and wipers back on, heat exchanger, pump and reservoir and lid. They also needed to wait for some special zipties to attach the heat exchanger to the condenser, those weren't included either. They're also going to have to attach a 90 degree tube fitting onto the intercooler reservoir. There's no way that the tubing is going to connect without one. Sadly that wasn't included either. Magnusson was to supply the zip ties which they didn't, and the 90 degree is something RMCR feels necessary.

Hopefully I'll get to check in on tuning tomorrow.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I'm surprised LM Speed hasn't spoke up at this point. They seem to be all about customer service from what I have read in the past and you certainly aren't a satisfied customer at this point.

I will be anxious to see if an how they help out.
This kit isn't without a couple minor issues.

Letting you guys know my experience is the best I can do.

I hadn't heard anything about MTI's kit at the point I ordered it, and I wanted a roots, so I didn't have much choice.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

I checked in with RMCR today over the phone, we had a blizzard. So even if it was finished, wouldn't have been smart to pick it up.

When I called he had the heat exchanger in and was working on the pump. Sounds like he had some trouble getting the reservoir to fit.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Banned

So I wrote Ed on all of the issues with his kit. Let's see if he responds to this.

Hello Mr. Potter, or to who it may concern,

I've been having my local speed shop working on installing your MP112 Magnacharger kit on my 2000 Trans Am, it's missing a couple pieces and components. Even after being published in GMHTP I'm a little irritated. Allthough not the worst ever according to some really outstanding techs and mechainics at RMCR, your kit required a bit of additional fabrication to be done right and be called "bolt in". Here are the issues I've posted on LS1tech.com, feel free to chime in on the link at the very bottom.

-"The intake manifold didn't clear the oil pressure sending unit enough to connect the plug. Rotating it won't help either. That will have to be clearanced a little with a grinder. A little upset about my intake needing to be ground to fit properly. But I guess there's always a little grinding necessary."

-"The kit was a little incomplete, missing the correct bar MAP sensor, Ed denied it so I had to buy it. I'm not going to even pursue this with LM Speed. They also commented on how undetailed the instructions were which anyone would agree with. If you've installed these before you can figure it out. If you buy this kit, just make sure everything is there, and you know what you're doing or have a dealer do it for you."

-"More issues with the kit though. It came with a pulley that was smooth instead of ribbed, they had to replace that. And they installed a blower pulley that was a 1/10th of an inch smaller than the pulley that came with it, so it should put out a bit more boost for me. They also had to fab an additional bracket for the LS3 belt tensionor that came with the kit."

-"As far as this LM Speed kit goes, well, my kit at least, it's not complete. And they didn't do their homework on putting out a complete and bolt in kit. Maybe Ed will contact me an address these issues, because he does know, and that would be a stand up thing, but I doubt it. But at this point, I'm just really happy to see it all coming together."

-"The transmission spacers were unusable. I didn't get a good look at them, but they either had to redrill them or fab up some new ones."

-"The throttle body cable bracket isn't clearing the hood, so that will have to be clearanced as well. Apparently this was never a described issue with the kit and there has been mention from the sponsor that no cutting of the hood was necessary."

-"The k-member spacers didn't even come painted. Powdercoating would have been really nice, but I got spacers that are going to rust? Not much attention to detail on that one."

-"The dowel pins on the k-member aren't even in the holes on the frame, so Mark spent a good bit of time eyeballing it, shifting the engine and trans around until it was as centered as he could get it and having an appearance the pins were going to go in, and then tightening the k member down with the spacers. This is obvious in one of the photos below. LM Speed could have simply provided a method of extending these pins, or just used another spacer with a little tit on it so the alignment pins could be used with their setup. Would have saved lots of time on the install and ensure the k-member was back on straight and the car was squared up."

-"Extending the steering shaft will need to be done. They have a way around this as well, but they'll get it all figured out."

"Again though, no instructions on any of this stuff."

"I understand that there are going to be some issues with a custom kit like this, but I would figure that these things would have been taken care of. I was told from the Sponsor "you and your friends can bolt this kit in with handtools in 8-10 hrs.""

Yeah.....right. We stood around my car laughing at that one for a bit.

-"It's not the worst forced induction kit they have seen and installed and they like it better than an STS though"

"Letting you guys know my experience is the best I can do."

"I hadn't heard anything about MTI's kit at the point I ordered it, and I wanted a roots, so I didn't have much choice."

"When I called he had the heat exchanger in and was working on the pump. There wasn't a clue in the instructions on how to do that either. I think he fabbed up some sort of custom plate to cover the radiator assembly. Not really sure but I'll let you guys know. Sounds like he had some trouble getting the reservoir to fit."

You can read it in all of it's glory right here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-fi-route.html

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Hi John,

I am sorry you are having these issues, but to be fair, I have not had any idea that you were having this much trouble. Someone from your shop called me 1 time approx 2 weeks ago, and had questions about the smooth pulley, and the missing 2 bar sensor. But that was all he asked me about.( the pulley has nothing to do with us, as it's an item supplied by Magnuson, same as the valley tray, which locates your oil pressure sensor.) Your kit did leave here with a new GM 2 bar MAP sensor in the box, I know, because I went over it myself before it left.

I also know that your girlfriend called here several times, panicking, looking for parts that she thought were missing. We finally had to have her take pictures of the parts she had, and email them to us. We determined at that time, that she had everything. If you like, I can dig up the pics that she sent, and show you what we shipped to her?

Since you were deployed at the time of your order, and had the packages sent to a location that you weren't at , it seems likely to me that some things may have gotten lost in the shuffle between there and your shop.

If you have a legitimate problem, call me and I will do whatever I can to help you, but do you honestly think bashing me for the last 7 days on the forum is going to get anything resolved for you? I have to question why you would spend 7 days making post after post, but not make 1 phone call?

I won't be posting back here, as I am not interested in having a big internet argument with you. I will call the number we have on file, and try to discuss these issues with you.

Ed
Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

I am sorry you are having these issues, but to be fair, I have not had any idea that you were having this much trouble. Someone from your shop called me 1 time approx 2 weeks ago, and had questions about the smooth pulley, and the missing 2 bar sensor. But that was all he asked me about.( the pulley has nothing to do with us, as it's an item supplied by Magnuson, same as the valley tray, which locates your oil pressure sensor.) Your kit did leave here with a new GM 2 bar MAP sensor in the box, I know, because I went over it myself before it left.
Sure, those have nothing to do with you, ok. The MAP, yup, that's the same thing you said earlier, nothing new there either. Would be pointless to argue, just your word against mine right?

I also know that your girlfriend called here several times, panicking, looking for parts that she thought were missing. We finally had to have her take pictures of the parts she had, and email them to us. We determined at that time, that she had everything. If you like, I can dig up the pics that she sent, and show you what we shipped to her?
Panicking? She was calling on the fuel block that was originally the wrong one and that took you another 6 weeks to get. Magnussons fault I guess? No problem though, because I got it eventually and my fuel lines are now connected.

Since you were deployed at the time of your order, and had the packages sent to a location that you weren't at it seems likely to me that some things may have gotten lost in the shuffle between there and your shop.
It was shipped to my house! Everything was brought to the shop in the original boxes you sent me. The stuff just sat there in my spare bedroom "still boxed" as it was delivered until I was ready to deliver the car. I knew this would be coming.

If you have a legitimate problem, call me and I will do whatever I can to help you, but do you honestly think bashing me for the last 7 days on the forum is going to get anything resolved for you? I have to question why you would spend 7 days making post after post, but not make 1phone call?
I'm not the expert on your kit, I just know what I was told. RMCR would be the best ones to inform you but I feel some improvements could be made to your setup. Every day I went and checked on their progress it was something different. Missing MAP, missing ties, we needed to make this, make that, fabricate this, there's no instructions etc. etc. Calling you trying to explain things over again is going to be a waste of my time I'm sure, you can read this over and over and check out the photos all day if you want. I don't expect you to come out and say, "John, you're right, I totally messed up and didn't include some of what was needed, we forgot." "We could have put more time into this but just wanted to get it out the door to you." "Well make damn sure that you and RMCR get your time and money back!" That would just be unrealistic for me to expect that now wouldn't it? I'm sorry you felt the kit was complete and I didn't, but I'm not gonna come in here and say it was the greatest thing ever. I apologize I'm making it easy for people to make an informed decision even though it may not be the one you want them to make.

The car is finished I found out just before reading this, but we can't tune it because 2 feet of snow fell yesterday, so I'll just wait a bit longer.

I won't be posting back here, as I am not interested in having a big internet argument with you. I will call the number we have on file, and try to discuss these issues with you.

Ed
You're not going to make me look like the bad guy here.

And honestly, there's nothing to argue about. Sure you can give me a call, and if you do something, (I don't know what you would do) I'll come back in here and post up.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Must be the longest install in History---thats too bad man.......
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

I just got off the phone with Ed after he gave me his cell number. He didn't understand the sending unit not clearing the manifold. Said he had never seen that on a kit before. He addressed my other issues and is standing by his kit. He did say some pieces may have been left out possibly and he would speak to my installers at RMCR and find out exactly what their issues were during the install. He agreed to reimburse me for a MAP sensor which I declined. We're just agreeing to disagree on some minor details and modifications that RMCR made but me being happy with his product is important to him. I don't expect anything from Ed in the way of money or compensation. I'm being an impatient and tough customer. I'm sure once it's all said and done, it's going to be sweet.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Must be the longest install in History---thats too bad man.......
The guys that I've gone through aren't the fastest, it's been in there almost two weeks but I know the finished product is going to be sweet, and they stand by their work 100 percent and are proud of what they do. They do amazing work, here's some of it.

Hopefully next week she's done.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joblo1978
The guys that I've gone through aren't the fastest, it's been in there almost two weeks but I know the finished product is going to be sweet, and they stand by their work 100 percent and are proud of what they do. They do amazing work, here's some of it.

Hopefully next week she's done.
That was a good feature on the TA in GMHTP; that "mile high" shop does some nice work (they are not a sponsor here so I can't post their name). You will be very pleased in the end. Considering the amount of modification to the car, taking your time to get it right is the best course of action.

Thanks for serving our country and protecting our freedom! Will
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joblo1978
This kit isn't without a couple minor issues.

Letting you guys know my experience is the best I can do.

I hadn't heard anything about MTI's kit at the point I ordered it, and I wanted a roots, so I didn't have much choice.
MTI in Atlanta, GA puts this kit togather for F bodies also, however they also do a lot of installations. Mine came from them and we had verry few issues. I'm well satisfied. I'm building another engine and I've talked to them about going with the 1900 unit in a 98 F body. MTI says they can do it.

Great wrightup, will be interested in seeing what you get at the RWs. Did you go with MAF or SD?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

Went by and checked on the car again today. It's coming together. They should begin some street tuning today before it goes on their dyno. Looked like wiring the coolant pump and installing the Magnavolt and putting the wipers back on was just about all there was left to do. The Magnavolt is going to be installed behind the PCM so it should be out of sight This will be a speed density tune as you can see there is no MAF.

Extension of steering shaft here...

I wasn't very happy about this, and they're probably going to clearance it more toward the back of the hood. We have no idea how one of these fits without cutting the hood. I did not even try to close the hood, but they're worried about it hitting under load. They'll paint it and it won't look that bad I guess.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I wasn't very happy about this, and they're probably going to clearance it more toward the back of the hood. We have no idea how one of these fits without cutting the hood. I did not even try to close the hood, but they're worried about it hitting under load. They'll paint it and it won't look that bad I guess.

I had to cut my Camaro hood similar to what you did. For the Camaro the SS hood you don't have to cut. It was noted by MTI I just missed it.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! They cut alot from your hood.....I got the WS6 hood, never had to cut it. Under load, it rubs bout the size of a dime, though, very minor.
I dont understand why though they put that bracket behind your tensioner? Just for reinforcement?
Waiting to see your numbers..............
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martinls1
Wow! They cut alot from your hood.....I got the WS6 hood, never had to cut it. Under load, it rubs bout the size of a dime, though, very minor.
I dont understand why though they put that bracket behind your tensioner? Just for reinforcement?
Waiting to see your numbers..............
I got sent an LS3 tensioner for some reason so yeah, that's for reinforcement.

Waiting to see my numbers huh? Yeah, that makes two of us.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

The LS3 tensioner is what suppose to come with the kit. Its got a MUCH stronger tension than the stock one

Quick Reply: I finally took the FI route...