Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I finally took the FI route...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martinls1
The LS3 tensioner is what suppose to come with the kit. Its got a MUCH stronger tension than the stock one
They also put a 3.90 pulley on there for me too. Hopefully I'll put out 9 lbs. and they say with my cam specs, LPE GT2-3 I should contain boost really well. I would be happy with 525 RWHP.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

I've been checking on this thread here and there... I just read the response from LM Speed and all I can say is WOW!

I myself was excited about this kit too after seeing in in GMHTP; I had visions of gut-wrenching torque throwing me back in my seat as well. But after this thread theres no way I'm spending over 6k for this kit after this guys experience. Maybe 6k isn't much of an investment to them? For me and most likely the majority of LS1Tech members it is.

To add insult to injury, I find it sickening that they lay blame on the guy for being deployed to IRAQ as a possible reason for missing/incorrect components. Anyone else catch that? WTF is that!?
-"Sorry charlie, too bad you were off in the desert protecting the USA and her interests, better luck next time pal!"... Sad. How about you send the guy another part out of respect for him giving you his business, not to mention service to his country.

Sorry to bash, I know they're a sponsor and all. And I'm sure Ed is a great person too. But its important to make the point to vendors that when a member here gets treated poorly the forum as a community will take note of it.

Peace,
Tom
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fyrfytnSS
I've been checking on this thread here and there... I just read the response from LM Speed and all I can say is WOW!

I myself was excited about this kit too after seeing in in GMHTP; I had visions of gut-wrenching torque throwing me back in my seat as well. But after this thread theres no way I'm spending over 6k for this kit after this guys experience. Maybe 6k isn't much of an investment to them? For me and most likely the majority of LS1Tech members it is.

To add insult to injury, I find it sickening that they lay blame on the guy for being deployed to IRAQ as a possible reason for missing/incorrect components. Anyone else catch that? WTF is that!?
-"Sorry charlie, too bad you were off in the desert protecting the USA and her interests, better luck next time pal!"... Sad. How about you send the guy another part out of respect for him giving you his business, not to mention service to his country.

Sorry to bash, I know they're a sponsor and all. And I'm sure Ed is a great person too. But its important to make the point to vendors that when a member here gets treated poorly the forum as a community will take note of it.

Peace,
Tom
Granted, we had some issues with the kit, or maybe my shop is just really good and wasn't going to let some things slide. This is not the worst FI kit by any means and it didn't take that much to get it all right, but it's all taken care of now. I'm just going to leave my conversation with Ed between us and not talk about it anymore.

BTW, he is no longer a sponsor here and hasn't been for quite some time. He didn't take lightly to my "internet terrorism" as he put it.

Get the kit if you want, because there just aren't many other places you're going to get it. Just use this thread as reference, and make sure you're taken care of is all I can say.

According to my shop....Ed's kit > STS

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-30-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Checked in on the car today, again. It is all back together and was sitting on the dyno waiting to spin up the rollers. I think today he had to download some EFI live updates or something. I don't know. Hopefully tomorrow, but everything looks great. The intercooler reservior started pissing last night. He put a better clamp on, no problems after that.

This is taking so long. Everything looks great and is nice and tight. All my wiring is loomed and everything is secure and clearanced out of the way. I guess better to wait and have it take longer than be back in a week with a problem. Hopefully I'll have some video and can bring it home tomorrow.

I did hear it run. Sounds like stock, even with the cam, should make for a good sleeper.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks awesome man! I sure would like to go for a ride in it!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Banned

Got my car all finished, and tuned up today and did my dyno pulls. There's dyno footage/video, numbers, and graphs here.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...Am/2000/26776/

Just scroll down to the journal and you'll see the vid

518.77 RWHP 526.13 RWTQ @ 7 PSI

I was driving it around getting the feel for it today, it's awesome! I've only felt acceleration like that on a runway during takeoff. The car just claws at the sky and you just hear that sick blower whine in the front and exhaust roaring in the back. The beefy valvetrain is working well too. Idles like stock, a little noisy, but I know it helped with the numbers. After a few cruises around the block I started getting the feel for it. I personally don't think torque like this so early in the powerband is that streetable. It's a hair too much. Not on these roads with my tires at least because they just get blown away. I got home and put the BFG Drag's on and it blows them away like nothing too. You really got ease your foot into it or else you go nowhere. The feeling is amazing and the car scares me again.

Overall I'm really happy. Mostly because of the shop I went through for install. He really put alot of time into my install and didn't rape me.

During tuning my brand new Holley 90mm sticks, gotta look into getting that replaced. It's rigged with an additional spring so it won't get stuck open again and he could tune it, but the spring assembly is really sloppy. Aftermarket TB's are junk for the price.

Last edited by joblo1978; 04-03-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Freakin sweet numbers man. That's a lot for only 7 lbs of boost.

I am still saving my pennies. I think this year I cam going to be able to rebuild the trans/clutch, and do H/C/I. I think F/I is going to be to much for me this year.

You have a very nice ride. Best of luck hooking it up. I want to see some track numbers!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm hoping to go FI this year sometime, I was looking at the Magnachargers, but after reading through this thread I think I will go with Procharger. The results are nice, but the install sounds like it was a total pita.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Dude that looks Great! I'm jealous and I want to FI someday but if I did I would have to take out a small loan just to buy one
Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
tuck open again and he could tune it, but the spring assembly is really sloppy. Aftermarket TB's are junk for the price.
I haven't had ANY issues with my Nick Williams 90mm TB and it now has about 20,000 miles on it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow67
I haven't had ANY issues with my Nick Williams 90mm TB and it now has about 20,000 miles on it.
I got a buddy who just had all sorts of problems with his FAST 78. It stuck open, closed, and everything in between on the street and track.

He now has my ported stocker and is very happy.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I got a buddy who just had all sorts of problems with his FAST 78. It stuck open, closed, and everything in between on the street and track.

He now has my ported stocker and is very happy.
Not sure why you would buy an aftermarket stock size TB ?
If staying 78mm, stay with stock (or modified stock) IMO. Hard for me to fix something that isn't broke, and doesn't make any more power.

I have heard of problems with the FAST TBs, but not the Holleys (though I haven't really looked for them either, since I have a NW one).
Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow67
Not sure why you would buy an aftermarket stock size TB ?
If staying 78mm, stay with stock (or modified stock) IMO. Hard for me to fix something that isn't broke, and doesn't make any more power.

I have heard of problems with the FAST TBs, but not the Holleys (though I haven't really looked for them either, since I have a NW one).

I'm not exactly sure why he did either. I suggested a ported stocker to him from the beginning. I think he just bought it for the look and didn't want to send his off to get P&P. He was just dumping alot of money into his car at the time.

This was in cold weather too. It seems like the body and blade are different metals. Maybe have different expansion rates and that had something to do with it, the rotating mechanism is sloppy though.

I think Ed is gonna help me out.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Launching!

awesome ride man, let us know what kind of numbers ur gettin at the track

Quick Reply: I finally took the FI route...