Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Super or Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super or Turbo??

Hey everyone, I am a newbie that is looking for a LS1 very soon and I was wondering what your personal opinion is of Supercharger vs. Turbocharger. Also, if I should get different heads/cam than if it were an NA engine. Any other advice or recommended companies would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Super or Turbo??

Seach button is your friend

Super vs. Turbo... Turbo's are known for torque and more tuning problems. If I had a choice, I'd WANT to do a twin turbo setup, but because of the issues, I'd probably do a Super.

As for a H/C combo, with heads, get the 6.0L non-milled (lowers compression) and with a cam, get one with a high LSA, I believe everyone prefers a 114.

Hope this helps...

BTW, for the advice, have at least $10k to get everything done
Old 09-24-2003, 03:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot for the advice, I really have no idea where to start for and LS1, this helps a lot.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're talking forced induction on an LS1, you need to get inside the motor and stregthen the internals.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Thats a definate. If you're just doin some light boltons, the stock internals will hold just fine. But, if you're wanting a true beast,you'll have to start forging most of the bottom end.

Turbo's are cool, cause like blowers, they make cool sounds . But, outside of the tuning, fabrication, turbo's are usually more efficient then blowers. Not robbing power, to make power is a BIG plus. Nothing against superchargers, i like them just the same, and they can be fierce engines when it comes down to it. To me, the difference would be dinero. Typically you're going to spend more on a turbo setup then a blower setup.

And, there's so many head manufacturers out there, you're just gonna have to find something you like. You can use 4.8, 5.3, 6.0L truck heads, or port the stockers, or grab a set of LS6 heads off a Z06 vette, and use those. Your not limited with this engine by a whole lot. Your engine size can go from 346, all the way up into the mid 400s. As for which heads/cam, you're just gonna have to find something that suits you (and your budget). I say a set of ported 6.0L or LS6 heads, and a MTI or Thunder Racing cam would good. But, others will say go w/ an ASA or Comp cam.

Search the sponsers you wont be disappointed. Welcome to the board!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

About how much would it cost me total to reinforce the bottom end for forced induction? Also, can I keep the stock crank and just go for rods/ pistons?? If so, how much power is it capable of holding reliably? I'm not looking for a 8-second car or anything, this car will be a daily driver, but I want it in the high 10's at least.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Should be able to get that with relative ease w/ Forced Induction.

And, im not sure on quoting prices for how much a forged bottom end would be. And, if you just forged the pistons and rods, you could possibly run into some problems if you started running high boost #s (im thinkin more like 14+ psi, but i could be off). Should be able to handle a good mount of power for a street car tho w/ even forged rods-pistons.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, what about a good company to get the forged bottom end from? Or a link to their website. I am really interested in finding out what I am going to spend for a 10 second car. Could you also recommend a centrifugal type blower that would produce the 14+ psi that you mentioned earlier? Or maybe a comparable turbo? Thx
Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

For the blower, there are some ATI and Vortech (they both are centrifugals) that'll produce 14+ PSI. The S and T trims should get you where you need to go (those are Vortech blowers). And, i like JE pistons. Just liked their customer service, they seem really nice.

As for the turbo...beats the hell outta me lol. Something like a T44 would be overkill for what you're wanting, but will get you well over 14psi. I'd say something like a TE04 or something fairly small can yeild you about the same gains w/ relatively the same boost #s.

Once again, just search the sponsers. There's tons of stuff on there, and a few of them have representatives on the board. Another thing you way wanna check out is www.gmhightechperformance.com I see it says you're in the middle east, so im sure GMHTP is hard to find (its a magazine here in the states). So, check that out, and that'll give you some more idea's, and some more "expert" help
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice, actually I can get GMHTP out here! Pretty funny actually. I am leaning toward a super, but turbos are so tempting. I'm only here for another 2 months, then I go back to Germany. I will be back in the states next may. Then I will get my car and start modding the hell out of it.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

A single T44 or TE04 would be entirely too smally for and ls1. A T60 only supports about 400-450 rwhp and its maxed out. If you wanted to stay in the efficiency range of the turbo at 500 rhwp you would want something like a T76. Yes a T76 will support upwards of 900 hp, but its way out of its efficiency range by then.

Gary
Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

I have used the search and cannot find anything, where is a good place to buy a t76 from?? Made by Garrett right?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

QMP, one of the sponsors here sells a turbo kit for our cars, that should get you into the 10s or close.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Single turbo. No doubt.

Quick Reply: Super or Turbo??