Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cam selection for APS build

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cam selection for APS build

I am purchasing a APS kit for my car and I need a little help on cam selection.

Currently my car has a stock bottom end with patriot cnc ported 243 castings. I have livernois dual valve springs with 7.425 pushrods. I have the stock ls6 intake with a stock throttle body.

I hope to have a forged 347 bottom end built this summer, but I want to go ahead and install the cam that I will need for this build.

I have a vig 3600 stall with 3:42 gears

I would like the cam to be a little choppy, but I want whatever is best for the performance of the setup.

thanks,

Brent
Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Give a bit more info on what your goals are.

how much power you want to make, where do you want the power to come in, how treetable is this supposed to be, and how much boost to you plan on running?

be specific the more specific you are the more people can help and point you in the right direction.

You're also gonna need a lot more parts to go with the kit. youre definatly gonna need a new fuel system and the ls6 intake prolly aint gonna cut it much longer.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the gt7 on my aps zero complaints but it has no lope. But thats what I wanted.Its compatible with 1.8 rockers so since I have a 408 I added them to bump my lift up to 590 or so. And get slightly more duration.

You can buy the factory cams show pretty cheap.

Here are the ling cams compared to factory.
2-03 ZO6 cam: 204/218 .551/.547 -117.5 LSA
Lingenfelter GT2-3 207/220 .571/.578 –118.5CL

05-07 ZO6 cam 210/230 .561/.557 –120.5 LSA
Lingenfelter GT7 208/230 .554/.546 –121CL

Now if you want more lope something with say 115lsa like some cams from Epp should be great. I wouldn't go under 115lsa but you can run just about any cam with the turbos although they might not be totally optimal. There is a big war /debate about what is best turbo cam. Some guys say no split, some reverse,some normal. More lift is usually always better and bigger lsa but again some argue that too.

I figure lingenfelter knows a thing or two about turbo cars! The gt2-3 was their old turbo cam. The gt7 is their new one pretty much. Its used in many many of their builds.

APS is running their really high lift gt11 in their own forged up 346 build. But you will be changing out valves springs a lot in that one! well over 600 lift.

Really if you can give up the lope that gt7 factory equivalent cam would be hard to beat. My car is easy to tune for the cam,zero surging ,pulls strong to 6500. No complaints.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

That sounds great to me. Guess i would give up the lope for my car to run as smooth as factory again.

yeah, my car is a daily driver(as long as it's not raining). Drive bout ten minutes to work every day and then I cruise around on weekends. So drivability is a must. That is the reason I am swapping from the Procharger to the APS. I want a quiet, smooth, and fuel efficient setup.

I am only gonna make around 8 pounds right now cause of the stock bottom, but after I throw some rods and pistons in it I will be looking for around 700 to the ground.

As far as the fuel system goes.............that shouldn't be a really big deal. I have the racetronix kit and 60lb injectors right now, I will get some fuel rails and regulator to mount up front, run a feed line and use stock as a return. I will also add a second walbro 255 in tank and have it come on with the boost.

As far as the ls6 intake goes.............How much boost can you run on it? I was under the impression that i would start lifting the ls6 heads before I had trouble with the intake.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

LS6 intake is unlmited on boost bascially. I missed that you have a d1 already.I drove a d1 near stock camaro and it was great not that loud really,stereo can easily drown it out or partly open cutout. So not sure why you would want to lose all that money if you already have a d1 but hey whatever floats your boat. I love turbos dont' get me wrong but might put a ati procharger on my lt1 for fun at some point.

The aps is quite the install lots and lots of hours but now that its done pretty happy with it. I did get a dud turbo which have to get fixed by spring. Kit otherwise was high quality, good manual and every nut and bolt is included just dont think you will install it in a weekend. I changed out my cam which was 221/221/558/558/114 lsa to the gt7. Course also changed out entire engine and heads. Sold off my tts longtubes . I had fast 90/90 so running it now. I like it can add the direct port options and will be adding direct port system in spring.

Nitrous and turbos can get along just fine.
As for driveablity and all that yeah off boost it drives like stock .I don't pay much attention to mileage. On boost the aps are audible and if I want them to be loud I just open my electic cutout. That helps power quite a bit as well. the car gets fairly loud loud at higher rpm I think due to running no cats presently. The aps blow offs were too quiet for me and were recirced so just got some non recirc type turbosmart supersonics.They are not installed but should be much louder. Find out in spring.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run a 04 ls6 cam
and a ls6 intake
in my aps car they work well at 12psi LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

I have heard some d1 cars that were quiet and some that were not........mine was one of the ones that was not lol I really hated to sell it. It sounded sweeet with my current cam.

The cam I am running now is a 232/236 595/601 112 xer lobe.

I think I will pick up a z06 cam that would be a cheaper option.

what is the difference in the 02-03 zo6 cams and the 04 zo6 cam?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

MY99TAWS6, did you ever find out anything about clearance for a Ron Davis Radiator?

I have one on my car now and I was wondering if I am going to have enough clearance with the aps intercooler pushing everything back.

when I put the radiator in it didn't seem like it sat back much further than the stock. Half inch at the most. My factory radiator support fit back on with no problems.

OK back to cam talk lol
Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not sure but would get the gt7 equivalent. the one I have. Yeah I would for sure take out and sell your cam.

Ok you sold the d1 already. should take it out of the sig!

I have not had my car running more than three weeks or so and its away for winter now. Only finished it up and got it running too late in the season. It was getting way too scary to drive on the cold roads and worrried about getting caught in freezing rain.

So no idea if my car will overheat next summer. Usually we don't get that hot but sometimes we can be in the 90s for a few weeks in the daytime in july. We are pretty far up north. I would sure like if you can tell me if the ron davis works out as still might put one in and maybe an edelbrock high flo water pump as well. I think maybe taking out my power steering cooler in my upper rad hose might help with a thicker rad.
I think the aps did move things back a bit. A few tricks are run a 160 stat,set the fans to turn on way lower or you can install and override to run them anytime the car is on.
and some redline water wetter can help a bit too.

I have a theory with the aps and overheating . I think a few guys might possilbly have forgot to take out the aps intercooler shipping cardboard.It would be easy to do if using it to protect things when putting in the intercooler. Then with it between the intercooler and condenser it would seriously block airflow.! I had a grocery bag get in there on my 99 and cause some overheating with the car na till figured it out. One grocery bag!

Also there is deal in the manual where you have to cut the bottom bumper cover out with arches for air flow. Wondering if some guys are doing that step?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

that is deff a possibility..............get ready to drive the car with the turbos and for get the cardboard

lol forgot about taking that out of my sig thanks

Yeah, I will let you know how it goes when I install the kit............It will be prolly two months before I get everything ready. I'm gonna send the manifolds and the hot side to get the jet hot coating
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a dyno of my old GTO with a APS kit and a GT2-3 cam with a forged 364 amd Patriot LQ9 stage II heads at 15 and 18psi on 100 octane and no meth.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...100_octane.jpg

Heres a video at 17psi on 50/50 91 and 100 octane no meth.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...364_130663.htm

I believe the GT-7 is even better but the baby GT2-3 aint bad either.

Les

Last edited by Loboost; 11-30-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would pm PatrickG,,,pay him the 25bux and let him spec you a custom cam. I really really like what he did for my setup. He gave me exactly the characteristics i was looking for.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I just messaged him today about that.......................bout to fill out the sheet and send it in.

this sure beats what i did for my first cam. I saw one on sale and I purchased it....no research, nothing. Just got it cause it was on sale.........lol

It has a spot on the sheet about desired shift point, max rpm.

Wonder what the base aps kits pull to........or does that depend on the cam??
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wasnt saying the LS6 was a bad intake, I was thinking more along the lines that its holding you back in terms or power. Im no expert im jsut beginning to dabble in forced induction, but it seems like a fast intake would flow a lot better.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

The ls6 don't really hold anyone back they have been used in like 8 second builds. Mabye even faster. The fast 90 /90 is better would be nice to see some dynos with ls6 and fast 90/90 with some different power level builds to compare.
I like mine cause can put direct port on it.

Quick Reply: cam selection for APS build