NEW PROJECT. Procharged LSX 1000WPH Daily Driven

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Excuse me if i missed something, but look at
what you said in bold...
Are you looking for horsepower numbers? (bragging rights)
or Track times?

You can do 9s and not have 1000rwhp with out a problem.
idk why youre arguing about this.. but im not sure what i want. right now im
just trying to figure out a good stepping stone.

Im only 20....

If i build this now... what will i have to do in the next few years... so im
trying to figure out what the best route would be.

maybe ill just build an N/A BIG LSX. do full suspension and drivetrain....

and then in a year or so ill tear the block down and put in dished pistons.
and then add the boost... idk.. but i need to make a decision.
im just wasting time sitting on my ***.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

A few posters have pointed out the cost to achieve one of your goals will be high, i.e. the 1000 rwhp goal. Since you need to balance school and the need for brutal HP, why don't you install a forged bottom-end in your current ls1, purchase the larger F1 blower, upgrade the fuel system and install a rear and call it a day. You should hit over 700 rwhp, run 9s - 10s if tuned correctly and have a good daily driver at much less then the cost of attaining 1000 rwhp. Look at Bob Beam's camaro from EPP as a benchmark as you build your plan. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12

Have you ever driven a car with over 700 rwhp? If not I can tell you it will grab your attention and beat the crap out of you don't watch what your are doing.

Honestly, you can achieve all of your goals except the 1000 rwhp for about 10K to 15K, but to hit the "magical" 1000 rwhp is very expensive. If you ask MightyMouse how much did it cost him to hit the 1000 rwhp number, I think he told GMHTP roughly 80K - 100K including the cost of the car - keep in mind he did much of the work himself.

I think it is great you have the money to do both school and a big power build, and hitting over 700 rwhp is nothing to be ashamed of! But you may have to rethink the 1000 rwhp goal.

Here is something else to think of, the new ZR1 makes 620 hp at the crank - if it can hook it can run high 10s all day. 700 rwhp would put you in 9's or low 10's, trust me, there is not much out on the street that will out run you with that power.

Best of luck in your build and be sure to post some pictures!

Last edited by will01; 12-15-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Black_Hawk_02
Im only 20....
Same here.

Originally Posted by Black_Hawk_02
maybe ill just build an N/A BIG LSX. do full suspension and drivetrain....

and then in a year or so ill tear the block down and put in dished pistons.
and then add the boost... idk.. but i need to make a decision.
im just wasting time sitting on my ***
I have an idea!
Build a LSX 434 with low compression (fu2k tearing the block down) in a year wast of time and $ esp if you plan on FI.
Plan for the future:
Turbo, 8.5:1CR
Supercharged, 9.5:1
Think about a 6-bolt head if you plan on boosting lots of #s
ect...

To get in the 9s a low compression LQ9/LS2 402/8 and a turbo will get you there with some work.
You can use an LS2 block if you don't plan on beating it up everyday.

Honestly if i had my choice i would do an LS2 block, ET heads, GMPP Carb intake w/ wilson elbow, 105mm TB, and an ST80 1.1AR T6. That will spool like a mother and full boost will be around 3000rpm! You would need some meth and maybe a touch of racegas at the track, but that will deff get you into the 9s.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy has an f1c on his car and personally its too big. The thing sounds like a hurricane when its cruising next to ya. If i was going procharger i would prolly do a 402 with an f1 or maybe a d1 on higher boost. i also heard that my buddies car before the f1 was way snappier with the d1, and also way more fun to drive thats jsut what ive heard from my friends that have experienced it.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

....turbo....
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Nobody has said this yet so i will say it. WOW!!! This is going to be a crazy build. Good luck. i think an auto would be best at the track, but a six speed is more fun on the road. so you saying that you want a daily driver, so i think six speed is the best, but then again i wouldn't have ever bought my SS if it were an auto, i don't enjoy them in fast cars, so the old clutch and stick are my only choice. As to what most people are saying on here i agree with. If you want the 427, and god bless you cause i envy that motor, then supercharger it but it will be pretty loud, but then again your not going to be quite with 1000whp. Think about this, you are about to spend upwards of 20 to 30 thousand to do this comple build. Take the advise of the person a couple post above me, forge you internals, supercharger or turbo, get the best heads you think money can buy, get a great custom-grind cam, do all supporting mods, build your suspension, get the 9", and then i know you said no nitrous but that motor will handle a 300 shot with a good tune so just throw a small shot, like a 150 or 200, and if you don't get more then 800whp i would be surprised and will pay you back for what you spent on it and that will be about maybe 15 to 20. oh and dont forget your fuel system. Personally i like a supercharger, the more american muscle feel i guess, more then a turbo.

This is my .02 cents

Good luck and i am subscribing for sure. This is maybe the sickest build i have ever read about just cause you are 20 years old.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Launching!

ohh minus the paying back part, i was joking.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

The build we did here would be a good way to go without going over the top. Bob
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvert99
give you a little of my experience...

347, F1C, 8 rib SDCE tensioner setup, stainless 3 inch custom ORY and 4 inch custom catback.
first thing is the F series blowers are no where near "stealth". you hear the supercharger well before the exhaust. then, the radiator is within 1/2 inch of the blower inlet. no intake ducting or filter with the radiator(without the left side fan) and a/c condenser in the stock location. there is no way you will get more than 8 rib on it without some serious mods, let alone any type of cog setup.
the exhaust is not too streetable either, but we have gotten by with it so far. good exhaust is important to any performance setup and it usually makes noise.
fuel is the next issue. 1000 rwhp on pump gas is gonna be hard to get, but possible. you may want to consider E85. i currently am on 110, but will more than likely go E85 next season. chances are you are gonna need to go to a stand alone efi as well to make the system easier to tune and safety with your engine investment. BS3 or FAST would be wise choices, especially when you will need a injector bigger than 60#.
if i were you with the 1000rwhp streetable goal i would go turbo. they are usually quieter than blowers and do not have the drive issues either. pump gas or race gas tune, boost controller. you should check out Mightymouse's setup for good reference to a quick street car.
This is good advice and I pretty much have the exact same setup.

My issues right now with the F1c are first and foremost, noise. Its LOUD. The blower is deafening when driving next to it.
2. Intake screen. impossible in the 'stock' blower location. unless you severely cut and modify the radiator and radiator support.
3. I really want to step it back to the F1a. I think that because F1c is robbing more power, its sluggish down low. Really un-necesarry for a street car. Besides 8-900rwhp is more than enough. Its really only bragging rights to have over 1000 to the wheels. Not very pracitical IMO.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I admire your hard work to be able to do a build like this at your age. I am the same age myself and know how hard I worked and saved to build my last trans am. I did that when I was 18 and got a lot of crap from people saying my parents funded it, but in reality they HATED my car and wanted nothing to do with it. I know where your at and applaude you. I might suggest not going as insane as you are planning, because it does REALLY get stupid expensive. Clearly you love the blower sound so why not tame it down a tad and do a D1 or F1 on a basic forged 347 at 13-15 psi. Will be a lot cheaper when building the engine and fuel system and be more reliable straying from custom.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

I've been thinking... hard. and i think a LS7 would be fun 454...LS7

but im thinking a D1SC would be a nice addition to it... 750 or so.

But yea. i think im gonna do a street build, with some CCW's rather than bogarts...

I think id rather tone it back and do a clean build. try to build something reliable.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

I've been out of the game a bit, but can you get a 454 from an LS7? I know a LSX will and that would be my choice, well actually it was my choice. 454 and a D1 will easily do 750, good luck!

Dan
Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

yea. i would use the LSx Block. (;
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

D1SC/403 LS2/ 609RWHP @ 9# boost = 10.16 et and very streetable, like daily driver streetable minus the temperature ordeal which I am sorting through. I won't sacrifice A/C, this isn't a race car, but runs like one

The D1SC is fairly quiet, even run a catted exhaust which is very quiet for 100 mile road trips. If I turn the boost up to 12# it will run 9.80's. The only weight reduction I have is wheels which is probably offset by the other items I have added.

Here is the recipe link. Just followed some proven builds from this site while adding my own personal touches from my racing background.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...et-driver.html
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i definitely ran through 80-100 in the 6 years i owned tried, broke, upgraded stuff on the formula. the trans am is probably safe to say i have near 60 in.

no offense. but this kid (been there) is better off buying a base d1 kit and doing some learning while hes in school.

comming to a website like this its easy to assume certain things are easy because they are common.

i have aquaintances that were young and attempted big projects because they have more money than time.

they normally get about half way into the build and lose interest, or change hobbies, or decide they need a newer car, or girls get in the way, or they finish it and promptly go wrap it around a tree.

not saying that will happen, but it surely is the norm.

as far as you build. i would love to say its interesting and i am excited for you, but i was turned off to it all soon as i realized it was all hypothetical.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i definitely ran through 80-100 in the 6 years i owned tried, broke, upgraded stuff on the formula. the trans am is probably safe to say i have near 60 in.

no offense. but this kid (been there) is better off buying a base d1 kit and doing some learning while hes in school.

comming to a website like this its easy to assume certain things are easy because they are common.

i have aquaintances that were young and attempted big projects because they have more money than time.

they normally get about half way into the build and lose interest, or change hobbies, or decide they need a newer car, or girls get in the way, or they finish it and promptly go wrap it around a tree.

not saying that will happen, but it surely is the norm.

as far as you build. i would love to say its interesting and i am excited for you, but i was turned off to it all soon as i realized it was all hypothetical.
Haha, +1 on the pipe dream.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

good luck man. Like these guys said, SO many things get in the way. If you really want to do this, commit to it and finish it. None of my business, but if you're piling up college debt you might want to rethink the project. My problem thus far has been a now ex-wife and no time due to living at work for the past two years.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mavmavv
Haha, +1 on the pipe dream.

im 21, wish i could have a 6-700 hp car.. not happening any time soon.
But it sounds like the O.P. is changing his mind on what he wants to do, like i change my ****** boxers.

IMO, u need a little more research before you get your 1000whp car
Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sidewayz28

im 21, wish i could have a 6-700 hp car.. not happening any time soon.
But it sounds like the O.P. is changing his mind on what he wants to do, like i change my ****** boxers.

IMO, u need a little more research before you get your 1000whp car
i heard that, im 22 and in school and my project is no where near this caliber,
Old 12-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Banned

I hear what you guys are saying... and that's great im just trying to figure
out what i want. Ive got about 50k ready to spend. The only thing thats
stopping me is that im not sure its worth the investment. and im thinking
about getting back into older cars... so you guys will find out in the next
week or so. Right now im looking at a 69 HOSS vert, and a 66 Shelby like
my dad's.

Later.