Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
Ive got piles of stock springs.. Send me $20 for shipping and ill send you a pair.
I'll keep that in mind if these convertible springs dont work, thanks.

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I have thought about going with a coil-over for the front and rear so I can adjust the height of the car for the street and the track. I have a factory auto car and seeing the success out of Kp's car it makes me want to run stock springs in the back with the CE shocks and some single adjustable strange shocks and springs up front.
There was a post awhile back where a few guys were going really fast with lowered springs?? (might be on CamaroZ28.com?)

Kp where did you buy the CE shocks?
I have just been lucky on the rears, car always scaled pretty well and sat just right. Fronts springs are adjustable of course.

A lot of it is power management, a centrifugal blower is pretty easy to manage the first 100' compared to a turbo or nitrous car so the Procharger makes me look like I know what I'm doing

Bought the shocks at one of the big mail order places, I dont use the ones they list for an F-body though since they are quite a bit longer than stock. I use a different part number and just use a 1/2" bolt with a spacer since they dont come with the studs for the bottom.

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I have a set of Eibach drag springs you are more than welcome too. They have been sittin gon a shelf in the shop for a year or so. I am not gonna use them.
Thanks, I need to see if these I have will work, if it sits at the right height thats good enough for me.

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Looking good KP. I see me doing something like that few years down the road when I'm tired of working my *** off racing, lol.

Speaking of that, where's good hooking track I could come test at in March? Weather in Cinti area will still be suspect but I may get the urge to take a short road trip to the South.

Mark
I've been racing for 30 years so I'm to the point where I could take or leave it. Naturally I would love to have a 7 second turbo something or low 6 second 10.5 car but I cant do it all myself, when you get older most of your racing buddies grow up, have kids/families, jobs etc. Then of course moving 700 miles away where you grew up and not knowing anyone doesnt help So I need something I can easily manage myself along with the trailer, generator, truck 4 wheeler etc, racing is no fun when it feels like work.

You arent that far north of me, Darlinton or Rockingham are the two I would hit if I had a fast 1/4 mile car, they open in February. Thats a bit of a ride for you though. It would be cool if that new track in Charlotte was doing T&T days, I havent looked if they are but thats a nice track..
Old 12-31-2008 | 06:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I dunno, helps keep the front end down if anything.

I have gone 1.23 with my old car (with stock rear springs) as low as it could possibly get in the rear without minitubbing it.

This car had some blue springs that really lowered it. They were stiff as hell so I wont even try them. All I could find is some convertible springs so if anyone has a set of stock firebird/camaro rear springs I'll buy them
I was talking about the rear.

Not sure exactly what do you mean as low as you could possibly get with stock rear springs..adjustable mounts? I guess I am use to seeing 1000hp dyno cars not make it down the track because their suspension geometry is all gone to hell to make the thing look cool. Every car is different but I am a firm believer in stock rear springs.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
I dont use the ones they list for an F-body though since they are quite a bit longer than stock. I use a different part number and just use a 1/2" bolt with a spacer since they dont come with the studs for the bottom.
Which part # do you use and could you post some pictures of the install ?
Old 01-01-2009 | 01:04 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cws T/A
Which part # do you use and could you post some pictures of the install ?
If you look a few posts back there is a pic of the axle where you can see the shock, just a 1/2" bolt, nut and some washers.

Part number I use is 2705, the ones CE lists for f-bodies fits but they are like 4" longer than stock and if you put the frame on jackstands the rear drops way too far. Thats the only reason I dont use the ones the list for it.
Old 01-01-2009 | 02:26 AM
10 Second Club

KP i dont know ANYTHING about shocks and such, would you use the CE shocks for a DD?
Old 01-01-2009 | 09:05 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
KP i dont know ANYTHING about shocks and such, would you use the CE shocks for a DD?
They seem to drive fine, but they arent going to handle like a stock gas charged shock, its not like its going to be bouncing down the road or anything. 50/50 is pretty much where stocl rear shocks are I would imagine, not sure how long they will last though.
Old 01-02-2009 | 03:12 AM
FormerVendor

Which setting do you standardly run CE rear shocks?
Old 01-02-2009 | 11:49 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
Which setting do you standardly run CE rear shocks?
The middle one, 60/40 or 40/60 I forget what it is. Its possible the 50/50 may work better but thats how I set the last pair I had and didnt touch them for four years since the car 60 footed just fine.
Old 01-05-2009 | 05:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Some progress last week, broke a rib a couple days ago so my progress is a little slowed down

But with the help of my 8 year old I was able to get the roll bar installed and carpet trimmed, plus finished mocking the trans and mount so once the gas tank arrives I can put the rear back in and get a driveshaft measured/ordered.

I really wanted to leave the stock seats in the car but I will end up doing some kirkey seats, I just cant get down low enough with the stock seats so its more a safety thing. Not to mention the ACC carpet I bought that used to be the 'lightweight' carpet that places sold is no longer light. Matter of fact its heavier than the stock carpet with all the stock padding attached. It sure lays down nice though, sometimes its better to look good than be light I guess..

Once the Nasty tank arrives I can put the rear end back in for good, measure for the driveshaft, then I'll pull the engine, do the ABS delete, clean up the engine bay, do the k-member and A-arms, wire up the guages and EWP, run some fuel lines and that should be it.

Went with some 1 3/4 Kooks headers, friend of mine gave me a good deal on them used so I'll give them a shot. I had 1 7/8 kooks on the old car but I'm pretty sure the 1 3/4 will be OK for what I'm doing.

I decided to have Kurt (kurturbanperformance.com) do me a 347 inch shortblock with pretty much the same parts as my old 8 second 347. I got two full seasons of beating on that engine and I figure at the 9.70 or so power level it should last for a long time. Plus it will cut quite a bit of time off the build, not to mention the worry of finding a local machine shop that does LS stuff.

If everything goes on schedule it should be ready to go minus the engine by the end of January, some misc pics. One of these days I'll get to the actual forced induction part, its coming soon
Attached Thumbnails New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-18.jpg   New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-19.jpg   New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-20.jpg   New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-21.jpg   New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-22.jpg  

New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-23.jpg   New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347-24.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009 | 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

looks great man!!!
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kp
Some progress last week, broke a rib a couple days ago so my progress is a little slowed down

But with the help of my 8 year old I was able to get the roll bar installed and carpet trimmed, plus finished mocking the trans and mount so once the gas tank arrives I can put the rear back in and get a driveshaft measured/ordered.

I really wanted to leave the stock seats in the car but I will end up doing some kirkey seats, I just cant get down low enough with the stock seats so its more a safety thing. Not to mention the ACC carpet I bought that used to be the 'lightweight' carpet that places sold is no longer light. Matter of fact its heavier than the stock carpet with all the stock padding attached. It sure lays down nice though, sometimes its better to look good than be light I guess..

Once the Nasty tank arrives I can put the rear end back in for good, measure for the driveshaft, then I'll pull the engine, do the ABS delete, clean up the engine bay, do the k-member and A-arms, wire up the guages and EWP, run some fuel lines and that should be it.

Went with some 1 3/4 Kooks headers, friend of mine gave me a good deal on them used so I'll give them a shot. I had 1 7/8 kooks on the old car but I'm pretty sure the 1 3/4 will be OK for what I'm doing.

I decided to have Kurt (kurturbanperformance.com) do me a 347 inch shortblock with pretty much the same parts as my old 8 second 347. I got two full seasons of beating on that engine and I figure at the 9.70 or so power level it should last for a long time. Plus it will cut quite a bit of time off the build, not to mention the worry of finding a local machine shop that does LS stuff.

If everything goes on schedule it should be ready to go minus the engine by the end of January, some misc pics. One of these days I'll get to the actual forced induction part, its coming soon

Dang! How did you break a rib? Did all the BMR and UMI parts show up? Bob
Old 01-06-2009 | 09:04 AM
Coal Mining Director

Can't beat the helper.....nice.

Where'd you find quality replacement carpet?
Old 01-06-2009 | 09:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Dang! How did you break a rib? Did all the BMR and UMI parts show up? Bob
I was leaning over the door sill and driling a hole under the dash, just had all my weight on one little spot plus pushing up on the drill and I guess that was a little too much. Heard a crack and saw stars, some painful stuff, sucks getting old

Everything is here except the K-member and lower a-arms. I appreciate you handling everything quick and efficiently.

Originally Posted by onfire
Can't beat the helper.....nice.

Where'd you find quality replacement carpet?
Thats how he earns video game time lol, I hope one day he gets interested in cars..

Its the former 'lightweight' carpet from ACC, they are the only molded carpet manufacture in the country I believe. Its the same as the light stuff except the mold a rubber backing on it and weighs more than the stock carpet so naturally it lays down pretty good. Unfortunately (for me) they no longer make the light stuff without the rubber backing. I'm not a big fan of that ozite DIY stuff, hard to make it look nice and it doesn't wear well.
Old 01-06-2009 | 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

dang man that suck about the rib!!!!
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,241 Likes on 792 Posts

Sucks about the rib but maybe some geritol is in order. Is that Johnny helping you out there, man they grow fast.
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't go wrong with Kurt, car looks like its coming along nicely.
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
dang man that suck about the rib!!!!
Yea, I dont wish this on anyone - it hurts to just drive But it gives me a chance to do some of the little stuff I always put off to the end.
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sucks about the rib but maybe some geritol is in order. Is that Johnny helping you out there, man they grow fast.
Maybe, AARP is sending me membership applications..

Yea thats Johnny, and yes he is growing fast. I remember when he seen you the first time and wouldnt stop crying

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Can't go wrong with Kurt, car looks like its coming along nicely.
Yea, i had some good luck with the last two engines. I really wanted to do it myself but I havent had any luck with local machine shops doing things the way I want. If you have to keep bringing things back to get done the way you asked to do it the first time it gets annoying.
Old 01-07-2009 | 06:50 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kp
I was leaning over the door sill and driling a hole under the dash, just had all my weight on one little spot plus pushing up on the drill and I guess that was a little too much. Heard a crack and saw stars, some painful stuff, sucks getting old

Everything is here except the K-member and lower a-arms. I appreciate you handling everything quick and efficiently.
Man that sucks! Time to start lifting weights to help keep the bone density up.

You're welcome, thanks for the orders! Bob
Old 01-07-2009 | 08:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Man that sucks! Time to start lifting weights to help keep the bone density up.

You're welcome, thanks for the orders! Bob
I do 12oz curls, does that count

Quick Reply: New car for 2009 build, D1SC/347