Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS Turbo comparison: Z06 35R vs F Car 20G

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did try them on the car, even though you cant get them. its the same housing as the Upgrade kit from APS and the Z06. It will require a smaller starter

I know it cant be done, unless you bought a Z06 kit and stole the turbos from it, to put on your F car
Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldnt we possibly buy the zo6, or the upgraded kit housing only and then use it with an actual gt35r turbo?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
WKF
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the part # for that Garrett ?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

^^^^
guys we have gone over this. APS is stupid. and made only enough turbos for there kits.

louis has tried to get his hands on just the turbos. but like he said "even though you cant get them" he was just showing you that they fit.

thanks louis
Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by why me
^^^^
guys we have gone over this. APS is stupid. and made only enough turbos for there kits.
So your positive that APS themselves made every part of the turbo's? your telling me that they didn't possible design some parts, IE the turbine housing, and have it produced through some other production company, so it'll work with their DP?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
WKF
Staging Lane

Reason I was asking for a part # is I used to work for a turbo shop doing sales & rebuilding Garrett's , Mitsu's , IHI's , KKK's yada yada . Don't work there anymore but I do still talk to the old Master distributors I uses to work with from time to time. Not saying it's readily available , but you would be surprised what is sometimes. First thing Ben will ask me when I ask him regarding a off the shelf Garrett or CHRA , he's going to ask " Gotta part # ? "
Oh well , just a thought.
WKF
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks WKF I appreciate it, but unfortunately I don't have a part number. Maybe if you get a chance to call Ben, you can tell him that i'm looking for an aps exhaust housing off of either the upgraded F-bodykit, or the ZO6 kit.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Domexitium
So your positive that APS themselves made every part of the turbo's? your telling me that they didn't possible design some parts, IE the turbine housing, and have it produced through some other production company, so it'll work with their DP?
well of coasre they had someone make the housings. but if it is like most cast molds out there. the company(aps) ownes them.

if you could find the company that made there housing and get them to do it. then let me know. but you got austrilia companies, chinese companies. hell you got the world to look.

can i ask what about the Z06 turbos do you want?

65lb/min? louis @ lg can get those for you?

ball bearing? big bird put a post up about that billet company.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by why me
can i ask what about the Z06 turbos do you want?
65lb/min? louis @ lg can get those for you?
ball bearing? big bird put a post up about that billet company.
I don't want some 45lb/min ball bearing turbos, and i don't want 65lb/min journal bearing turbos.
The reason why I want the Z06 turbos is because they are 65lb/min, and ball bearing.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how much lower ball bearing would spool up on a 408. I can tell you the standard spool up very quickly on my 408. Ball bearing also hold boost between between shifts in manual cars if you don't keep the gas to the floor while shifting. Not much difference on autos which is what I am swapping over too.
Also think ball bearing are not rebuildable while standard bearing is.
Now not saying some gt35 or equivalent won't be a nice option .And currently it looks like we have choice of bigger non ball bearing or possibly smaller ball bearing.its unclear how big a turbos the australian company that does the billet ball bearings ones will have as options. They wanted think some turbos sent to look at.

I don't think want any quicker spool up on my car. Already no traction in the lower gears.And thats at 7.5 psi .
Old 04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

pretty sure billet can get 65lb/min. so that would be ball bearing and 65lb. and you can use what you got. when i called them it was like 7 at night and they just opened. ask for matt
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

The upgraded Fcar turbine housing is the same as the Z06 turbine housing. HOWEVER, THE CHRAs ARE NOT THE SAME, so you cannot use a Garrett GT35R CHRA in there because they are designed for a MHI CHRA.

I tried, I tried, and tried again. It would be a KILLER setup, but APS wants nothing to do with it.

They did ONE upgraded turbo set for a C5 customer, and then said they would not ever do it again.

Sorry guys, I have everything laid out for you all and done all of the research, you just need to decide what you want to do.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Louis
what upgrade do you offer that I can put on my F body kit? I have a 403 cid engine and I have the base APS kit. I want to know if 1000+ is even possiable with this kit, upgraded turbos or otherwise. I am debating on upgrading this kit or building my own t4 based twin kit. What can you do?

Thanks
Darren P
Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

We also have 5 different APS builds going on right now at the shop. We are putting on our special touch to the upgraded GT35Rs that shoud pick them up a 100hp each! Be looking for track results in the next month or so....
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darren P
Louis
what upgrade do you offer that I can put on my F body kit? I have a 403 cid engine and I have the base APS kit. I want to know if 1000+ is even possiable with this kit, upgraded turbos or otherwise. I am debating on upgrading this kit or building my own t4 based twin kit. What can you do?

Thanks
Darren P
they are offering 3 upgrades. i lost the PM he sent me awile ago with the specific units but im sure he'll chime in soon. with his upgrades, 1000rwhp is very attainable. im gonna be doin the upgrade towards the end of the summer so ill post up my results at that time. still quite awile aways though.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
We also have 5 different APS builds going on right now at the shop. We are putting on our special touch to the upgraded GT35Rs that shoud pick them up a 100hp each! Be looking for track results in the next month or so....
explain please?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Darren P
Louis

Thanks
Darren P
anything?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ESCplan
anything?
What would you like to know?

I offer 3 levels basically- 60lb/min, 65lb/min(GT35) and 70lb/min.

The smallest has made 850 on pump, and the middle has made 975 on race fuel, and a tick over 1000 on another car with the APS 427 larger turbine housings.

cost is ~ 2500-2900 depending on how radical we go. I do not reuse your old turbos because there are too many unknowns, and there is no down time for you. Right now, I have most of the parts on the shelf, the last batch took 3 weeks too long

These are all MHI based CHRAs, latest technology turbine wheel, and billet compressor wheel. Compressor covers are machined depending on what level you choose, and how much you want to fabricate. The motor mounts MAY need trimming, and the hoses need lube to slide on the new inlets, thats how much bigger they are
Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
What would you like to know?

I offer 3 levels basically- 60lb/min, 65lb/min(GT35) and 70lb/min.

The smallest has made 850 on pump, and the middle has made 975 on race fuel, and a tick over 1000 on another car with the APS 427 larger turbine housings.

Assume you are talking rwhp here on dynojet??mustang dyno?

cost is ~ 2500-2900 depending on how radical we go. I do not reuse your old turbos because there are too many unknowns, and there is no down time for you. Right now, I have most of the parts on the shelf, the last batch took 3 weeks too long

hese are all MHI based CHRAs, latest technology turbine wheel, and billet compressor wheel. Compressor covers are machined depending on what level you choose, and how much you want to fabricate. The motor mounts MAY need trimming, and the hoses need lube to slide on the new inlets, thats how much bigger they are
Ok for the basic 60 pounders will they fit without engine mount trimming? Will they fit the stock intake tubes just lube them like you said , do the 60s have different compressor housings? Do you think a guy has to put scavenger pump on the car with them. Not a huge deal as scavenger pumps are pretty cheap but still wondering.
Already know centers can be swapped easily on drivers side without dropping kmember .Can you swap passanger side without dropping kmember or taking off entire exhaust manifold etc.Mabye just pulling starter or air compressor??
Haven't tried to remove my center carts yet. Mostly wondering if you have some tips for us since assume you might have swapped out a few passenger center carts?? Being vband would think they would be easy to unbolt vband on exhaust side and take center off of compressor off bench since that side has c clip right?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

????????

Quick Reply: APS Turbo comparison: Z06 35R vs F Car 20G