Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS Turbo comparison: Z06 35R vs F Car 20G

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS Turbo comparison: Z06 35R vs F Car 20G

I had a chance to compare the turbos from the 2 platforms- Since there is no ball bearing option for the F car, I noticed that there is a lot of similarity, yet some dissimilar things regarding the 2 turbos.

Note that the F car uses the 20G Sy/Ty CHRA and Compressor cover with an APS turbine housing machined for the car with a T3 inlet flange.

The C6 Z06 kit uses a garrett GT35R CHRA with an APS Compressor cover layed over and machined for the inlet, along with an APS Turbine housing with a T3 inlet flange.

Since I have 6 ( Yes, 6 ) cars getting various stages of APS TT work, I can compare these parts

When the time comes, I will see if I can some how fit the Z06 turbo on the F car

GT35R on the left, 20G on the right

There has been some interest in a few of my customers trying to get a Ball bearing turbo in their F car kits It would be VERY pricey, but I figured I would share what I see here I doubt APS would sell the turbos, but you never know. They have been pretty good to us

Louis
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder how much of a differance it is between the stage 1 and stage 2 F car turbos. i wish i could fit those gt35r's on my car....if you get it to work please post up so i can copy....
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

are they water cooled? sorry if its a dump question
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

It is water cooled.

David from APS told me the F car upgrade will flow similar to a GT35R, just not ball bearing. From the looks of it, the Upgrade turbos use the Z06 Turbine housing.

Ill be measuring back pressure with the standard turbos and standard turbo upgraded.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Anymore news?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

aps wont sell the turbo. i have had louis trying to do it for a awhile now.

so i founs another way to get a ball bearing in my 20G. should be readdy to go in about 3 months
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Does that mean if you get turbos shot, no replacement turbos available from APS! Have to buy a whole kit? That's what it sounds to mean..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

well i had three of the biggest APS dealers in the states try and buy just the turbos. and everyone of them was told by APS that "we have enough turbos for are kits. no more"

so Denali08. i guess yes would be what i would say.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I extremely doubt they would refuse to sell a replacement to someone that bought their original kit. I have a dud that will be sending back in a month or so. At least LG is now selling upgrades so that option is there now.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denali08
Does that mean if you get turbos shot, no replacement turbos available from APS! Have to buy a whole kit? That's what it sounds to mean..
No, you get them rebuilt. You don't have to buy a whole new turbo unless it explodes or something.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

This is exactly the thread I have been waiting for.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a stock Brand new APS turbo I'll sale. Pm me...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I extremely doubt they would refuse to sell a replacement to someone that bought their original kit. I have a dud that will be sending back in a month or so. At least LG is now selling upgrades so that option is there now.
call them

i dont mean to be rude. but LG called them. they said we wont sell them outright

rallysport(APS biggest dealer in the states for tunner stuff. and i was told this by the lady on the phone at aps) they said the same thing

and i asked speed inc to talk to them and jim told me they wont sell them cuase they only make enought for there kits.

if you total destroy one. the exhuast housing is the only part you need. beyond that it is just another mit 20g turbo.

good luck on sending it back. let me know how it goes. but i would for sure call them first

and yes LG has upgrade which is great. but the cartridge(center section) of the turbo is basicly bad from aps. Louis has had about every one of them work very bad.

i just ordered to center cartridges form these guys billet turbo chargers (going ball bearing) and i am just going to get better compresser and exhuast wheels form louis
Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought he was talking about complete larger turbos like the c6 ones not simply aps replacing dud center cartridges. I should have my dud (which pours coolant into the oil..must be internally cracked..) and the other one out in next few weeks as weather is getting better ,don't have a heated garage but good enough to work on car now. I will be contacting aps to see if can get a replacement center cart ,if its not on warranty then will be somewhat disappointed but part of problem was that it took me over a year before could get my kit installed do to waiting on 408 build.
So have to see what they do.I am pretty sure they have given replacement turbos to some guys on here.

Or maybe they just installed new center carts in them.

I got two replacement center carts off ebay Td06 H 20gs. japanese made..,hope they fit ,pretty sure they will and they are supposed to have upgraded wheels but not expecting 60lbs per minute from them. Just bought them as temp measure. Plan on most likely getting some 60 or 65 pounders from Louis but have to save up a bit for them. Priority right now is to get the lonnies twin pump fuel setup in the car and get my 3 bar installed so can start going wot even at 7.5 psi.

So far have seen no oil from the aps turbos but have not gone to high boost on them as said due mostly to not having the fuel support in the car just have 60s installed presently but stock lines,rails,pump and reg. Course need to also buy new inlets or stent the old ones to go higher on boost.

I am pretty sure some LG upgraded ones are in my maybe near future and its pretty sad if aps is using knock offs or not balancing these turbos properly. Mits 20gs are usually super super reliable and I have lots of prior experience with mits turbos in my dsms many have gone to well over 100,000 miles on original turbos.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

What if the turbos are beyond repair or someone would like upgraded turbos, moving from stage1 to stage2 APS?

Are there alternative sources for turbos to replace the APS? Can forced induction or MP provide replacement turbos or is APS dominating?!!!

I wouldn't buy such a turbo kit if I don't have choices for turbos.

Who can rebuild APS turbos? Does it require sending the turbos to Austrailia? That would be a pain in a$$.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Lg is offering upgrades. Think aps would only allow upgrade if you haven't used your basic turbos yet. Otherwise you have to think order the upgrade kit right off the bat. I should have but the upgrade kit came out quite a bit after and didn't really think needed it but on a 408 it would be nice to have.On a 346 not so much.

The turbo kits are using mits turbos 20g for the base kit and pretty sure the upgraded kit. So yeah you can get replacement center carts all over the place. I just got some from ebay for temporary to keep the car running while see what aps is doing about my dud standard. I will likely sell of the aps center carts ,the dud if and when it gets fixed of course and then likely my temp replacements and do an upgrade to 60 or 65 pounds from LG. Just might have to wait for next season for that.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denali08
What if the turbos are beyond repair or someone would like upgraded turbos, moving from stage1 to stage2 APS?

aps told me if you have ran the turbos it is cheaper to buy the hole kit then it is to buy just the turbos for the upgrade. but if you have not ran the turbos they will take them back plus 2500 for the upgrades. that is stupid.

Are there alternative sources for turbos to replace the APS? Can forced induction or MP provide replacement turbos or is APS dominating?!!!

the only thing on these kits that makes it a "APS" turbo is the exhuast housing. the rest is the same as any mit 20g turbo.

I wouldn't buy such a turbo kit if I don't have choices for turbos.

LG is making alot of turbo choices. i went with a center cetion from billit turbo cause it is ball bearing and i want ball bearing. on top of that when i talked to billet they said most of there cars running 18psi would reach max boost 1500rpm faster then the jornel style 20G

Who can rebuild APS turbos? Does it require sending the turbos to Austrailia? That would be a pain in a$$.
and as i stated above. it is just a mit turbo. so anyone that can rebuild a mit. can rebuild this aps. only time i would send mine back to aps is if the shaft play was terrible or what not. but if the seals gave out. i would just send it to forced industions. or do it my self
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TNTramair
i wonder how much of a differance it is between the stage 1 and stage 2 F car turbos. i wish i could fit those gt35r's on my car....if you get it to work please post up so i can copy....
the only difference between the stage 1 and 2 is the lbs/min.

and if you look at the compressor side of the gt compared to the mit. you will have to do some fab work. the gt bolts on. and the mit slips over the tube.

also do you just want a ball bearing turbo?

is that why you want to change? or is it the flow?

if it is flow just go with LG upgrade turbos

and ball bearing. then just look at my post a few back about billet turbo
Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

If you are going BIG cube, get the upgraded turbos from APS. They will max out around ~1000rwhp. If you stay stock cube or under 364, get the regular small turbine housing turbo, and max that out, then get my upgrade turbos.

Quick Reply: APS Turbo comparison: Z06 35R vs F Car 20G