Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts turbo Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sts turbo Help!!

Im doing a sts turbo install on my 01 camaro ss m6 but i don't have the instructions on how to run the vacuum and boost lines. Does anyone out there happen to have the instructions to a sts system for a F-body in a pdf?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Launching!

I have the instructions but not on my computer.What are you trying to figure out maybe I can help or someone else will chime In to help out.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Im just trying to figure out how to run the lines for the turbo, waste gate, manual boost controller and blow off valve. basically all of the vac and boost lines.

Thanks
Michael
Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by solidsnakecsm101
Im just trying to figure out how to run the lines for the turbo, waste gate, manual boost controller and blow off valve. basically all of the vac and boost lines.

Thanks
Michael
If your turbo has the brass fitting In It from STS run your vaccum line from there to your mbc then to your wastegate.On the bov you can get a vaccum source from the intake,when I removed my pcv I used that port In the intake.The lines for the turbo are you refering to the oil lines.

Last edited by vandal0-0; 12-30-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info! i have a handle on the oil lines. i will post up pics of what ive done so far.

Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Hopefully It helped a little.Good luck and post some pics.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

pm ZL1killa, i think he has instructions he could send you or even check his install thread since it has lots of pics
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default i think a need the turbo rebuild.

hey guys sorry about the long wait but let me give you a run down on what has been done. I began with the installation of some Comp 7.4 hardened push rods, Patriot Gold springs, Comp Double roller timing set, a high volume oil pump, Lucas 42lb injectors, and a Racetronix fuel pump kit. The drive train was also upgraded with a mcleod twin clutch and ticks new master cylinder. The installation process went smoothly that is until i got to the oil supply. I purchased this STS kit used and it was 90% complete. The kit was missing a 90 degree 1/4 adapter that taps into the factory bracket above the oil filter. Well that piece required quite a bit of time to locate and i finally found one at Cal Earo bolts by the pound on Paramount near the 105 freeway. I also purchased a oil restricter for the oil going into the housing. After a couple of hours of some online research i figured out all of the vac/boost lines, and hooked up all of the turbo pluming. Today i finished installing some autometer boost, fuel pressure, and wide band. I reflashed my computer with a stock sts turbo tune from hp tuner's site. i started the car and took it for a spin around the block. The car runs awesome!!! Especially when my rpm's hit 2500-2800 you get a surge of power that pushes you into your seat. However when i parked it in my drive way and inspected it i noticed some oil leaking from the tail pipe. Do you guys think my seals are bad? If so is it possible to rebuild the turbo. Its the stock 60 mm unit from STS an I'm running 5lbs with no IC. Any feed back will be great thanks.

Mike

Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Did you pull your oilreturn off of your oilcap and see if It Is returning to the motor.I also run my oilpump on high all the time as do alot of other people.What size of a restrictor did you use
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Pictures are kind of blurry.I cant tell but Is your oil return line going behind your turbo and up over It.You also want to make sure your drain from your turbo Is parallel to the ground.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry i took the pics with my camera phone. I used a .65 restricter. The oil return line was ran under the turbo, over the axle, along the fuel lines, and up to the valve cover. I set the pump to run on high all the time and i did check the cap. it looked good.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

I also made sure to clock the turbo properly such that the return fitting is parallel to the ground.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by solidsnakecsm101
Sorry i took the pics with my camera phone. I used a .65 restricter. The oil return line was ran under the turbo, over the axle, along the fuel lines, and up to the valve cover. I set the pump to run on high all the time and i did check the cap. it looked good.
So your fitting comeing out of the turbo for the oil drain Is pointing towards the front of the car.It could be the turbo,I had 1 go bad and It was still under warranty so they replaced It.I believe It was the MP T-70 I use to run.It sounds like everything Is set up wright that sucks.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Launching!

When you pulled the return off with the car running was It returning the oil good or was It just spitting the oil out.I had a problem with my system doing that after about the first couple of months of haveing It and I talked to the company I bought the kit from and they said It should come out pretty good. So they sent my pump back for a new one and It was a night and day difference.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

When i checked the cap the oil was returning back into the engine at a fairly good rate. It did not seem to spit out. Do you think the turbo can be rebuilt?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

im still running the stock pump. Do you think i should upgrade it?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Launching!

If Its returning good you should be fine.Ive been running the replacement stock pump for 3 yrs now with no problems.I would talk to Jose at Forced Inductions he would be able to help you with the rebuild
Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Do you have the check valve installed right before the turbo? If thats not there it will give similar symptoms to bad seals in the turbo. When its parked oil in the lines leak past the seals and get in the inlet/outlet and all over the back of the car. Or if it's there it could be worn out. You can order a new one from STS or McMaster.

I had to replace mine after 1 year and i know others have also.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS
Do you have the check valve installed right before the turbo? If thats not there it will give similar symptoms to bad seals in the turbo. When its parked oil in the lines leak past the seals and get in the inlet/outlet and all over the back of the car. Or if it's there it could be worn out. You can order a new one from STS or McMaster.

I had to replace mine after 1 year and i know others have also.
+1 on that I had to replace mine also totally forgot about that.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Launching!

I had to replace the damn quick connect that goes to the oil cap, even then the cap leaked like hell, so I drilled and tapped the valve cover, and just went back to the stock cap. Other than that I haven't had any problems.

Quick Reply: Sts turbo Help!!