Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Truck Manifold Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install the restrictor and thats why or what do you think happened? My **** smokes bad, but its because of the damn breathers. I'm not driving mine until I get my afpr, rails, and catch can. Should be here this weeks sometime.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get your relocation bracket?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blazin
Nothing as of now we used it like a carbed setup to tension it. We will see how well it works. Also used a truck alt. because the back is flatter to clear everything. No ideler pulley either. We are trying something and who knows if itll work.

You can transfer the back cover to the LS1 alt, I'm using an S-10 cover on the back of mine.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Did you install the restrictor and thats why or what do you think happened? My **** smokes bad, but its because of the damn breathers. I'm not driving mine until I get my afpr, rails, and catch can. Should be here this weeks sometime.
NO. I drove all day friday around town boosting here and there for about 4-5 hrs after work. Checked the breathers about 5-6 times no problems. Get on it hard one last time before I put it into the shop hit 4 gears and holy smoke. All it was doing was smoking all the way to the shop. Get out both breathers had oil leaking past them totally drenched. So yesterday I put a restrictor in the feed line and a catch can to help. Didnt help anything still smoking like crazy. And a **** ton of blow by at idel. Okay lets see if the turbo is shot. Yep exhaust housing full of oil. So now is it possible for the air to be going past the seals and pressurizing crank? I have had no problems with blow by till the turbo started leaking oil. Car still runs perfect.

Originally Posted by BlazinT/A
where did you get your relocation bracket?
Stock bracket, barely modified.

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
You can transfer the back cover to the LS1 alt, I'm using an S-10 cover on the back of mine.
Thanks for the info the truck alt was here and ready so I just threw it on. Belts holding on great many 5900 shifts.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

NO. I drove all day friday around town boosting here and there for about 4-5 hrs after work. Checked the breathers about 5-6 times no problems. Get on it hard one last time before I put it into the shop hit 4 gears and holy smoke. All it was doing was smoking all the way to the shop. Get out both breathers had oil leaking past them totally drenched. So yesterday I put a restrictor in the feed line and a catch can to help. Didnt help anything still smoking like crazy. And a **** ton of blow by at idel. Okay lets see if the turbo is shot. Yep exhaust housing full of oil. So now is it possible for the air to be going past the seals and pressurizing crank? I have had no problems with blow by till the turbo started leaking oil. Car still runs perfect.
Stock bracket, barely modified.
Thanks for the info the truck alt was here and ready so I just threw it on. Belts holding on great many 5900 shifts.
If you had the PCV lines hooked up wrong you could be pressurizing the crankcase. How did you have them routed?

Doing these WOT pulls, I'm assuming you have a good afr and timing is right.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PVC Whats that lol. 2 valve cover breathers, no problems till seals went on turbo.

Tune 15 degrees HO timing and 11.5 afr
Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

I thought you ran a catch can? I took that as you removed the breathers and installed the catch can and made a PCV system. Just adding a catch can with the breathers, I don't think that would do anything.

What size is your feed and drain line? I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me, I'm having the same problems as you, but I haven't driven mine as long as you have.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-4 feed with restrictor -10 return with a pretty high mounted turbo. Ran all 3 valve cover lines to a vented can. I figured that would help from saturating the filters so fast. Im gonna have the turbo rebuilt and if that dont help something gave in the motor(which i turely doubt.)
Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

-4 feed with restrictor -10 return with a pretty high mounted turbo. Ran all 3 valve cover lines to a vented can. I figured that would help from saturating the filters so fast. Im gonna have the turbo rebuilt and if that dont help something gave in the motor(which i turely doubt.)
The catch can has an inlet and outlet. Theres alot of good info in here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ting-ok-2.html
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info but my catch can in a home brewed item.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info but my catch can in a home brewed item.
If you don't have an outlet then it will not work. It is supposed to filter and trap the dirty air allowing only clean air out, at the same time venting the crankcase.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It does have one its a breather filter.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

That will work. So I'm guessing that was soaked after this happened?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeap it was soaked somehow im getting tons of blow by with the turbo being messed up.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Yeap it was soaked somehow im getting tons of blow by with the turbo being messed up.

That sucks man, sorry to hear about that. Hope its not anything too expensive to fix.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

broken #7 would be my guess. were you logging? what did it show for knock?

i have seen a very similur story to this and often it is the old broken piston, especialy if it is showing blowby at idle.

i hope i am wrong.

tuning, loging, working your way into the power and watching for knock, all very important.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by parish8
broken #7 would be my guess. were you logging? what did it show for knock?

i have seen a very similur story to this and often it is the old broken piston, especialy if it is showing blowby at idle.

i hope i am wrong.

tuning, loging, working your way into the power and watching for knock, all very important.
Hey man, sorry to get of topic but has steven gotten the "turbo turd" from you yet? I heard he was supposed to be getting it soon.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Hey man, sorry to get of topic but has steven gotten the "turbo turd" from you yet? I heard he was supposed to be getting it soon.
who what?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by parish8
who what?
LOL, I hope he gets it soon, we're going to a private track day and I hope he can make it with the new ride.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If number 7 was broken would it still run good? I will have to check the compression and stuff on that cylender. The turbo is shot though and I had no blow by before it started blowing oil outta the turbo. I guess I can plug all the oil lines and start it with the turbo off and let it run and see if I have blow by too. I havent ever had any knock under boost.

Quick Reply: My Truck Manifold Build