Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler questions A2w vs A2A etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intercooler questions A2w vs A2A etc

okay my friend gave me the jist of it but I would like more information. Which one would be more effient? And is there a certain size to get with the size or type of turbo you're going to run? How do you calcilate it out to be able to choose the correct intercooler or is it just all about trial and error?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

1. I depends on how much power you are hoping for.

2. Street Car/Daily Driven/Race Car/Ice only?

3. There are a ton of variables when selecting an intercooler setup. I have run many air to water's and many air to airs. It really depends on what your goals are and what you're trying to do with the car.

Post some info and I'll try to guide you through. I see youre somewhat local, lots of LS1tech sponsors are close to you and can really help out with the selection process.

-Wade
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cracker
1. I depends on how much power you are hoping for.

2. Street Car/Daily Driven/Race Car/Ice only?

3. There are a ton of variables when selecting an intercooler setup. I have run many air to water's and many air to airs. It really depends on what your goals are and what you're trying to do with the car.

Post some info and I'll try to guide you through. I see youre somewhat local, lots of LS1tech sponsors are close to you and can really help out with the selection process.

-Wade
I want to be above the 700rwhp range with i would say daily/track car, only because it's hard for me not to have fun in my T/A. But I have a friend that is going to mock up a butt mount for me that I am planning on turning into a twin set-up. I am trying not to rush myself but you know how it is when you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For the street an A2A is best. for the track an A2W would help cool the incomming charge a lot better.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

like the others said it really depends on your setup. i have an air to water on my street car and so far it has worked great, but it was a lot more complicated and expensive than an air to air would have been. i chose a2w because i dont like the look of front mounts and it just seems like a better way to remove heat to me.
the bottom line is that 10 people will tell you 10 diffrent things, but either will work well of sized right.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so can you mount a A2W anywhere? and does the A2A have to be somewhere that gets constant airflow?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
so can you mount a A2W anywhere? and does the A2A have to be somewhere that gets constant airflow?
A2W can go anywhere you can get the charge pipes to. You diffenantly need airflow for the A2A. Keep in mind you will also need to locate an ice/water tank somewhere.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And airflow does not just mean exposing the intercooler to air - it has to have the coolest air possible coming in and a place for it to go smoothly afterwards - typically through your radiator.

Jim

Quick Reply: Intercooler questions A2w vs A2A etc