Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount turbo setup, oil return pump suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Shurflo 8000-643-210
is there anything else needed to hook this up to the sts kit? I still have an sts pump..but im trying to "be ahead of the game" and replace it with a better unit b4 it craps out.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Ws6TransAm
is there anything else needed to hook this up to the sts kit? I still have an sts pump..but im trying to "be ahead of the game" and replace it with a better unit b4 it craps out.
Nope should be a stright swap, all ports are the same 3/8" NTP and i think the mounting hole pattern is the same also...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...ock-parts.html

LOOK FOR ITEMS 1 AND 2
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
Kind of. When the pump fails the turbo does fill with oil. Since the engine keeps pumping in more oil (and the pump isn't returning it), the oil is pushed past the turbine oil rings into the exhaust and compressor housing. The smoking is from the oil being intoduced into the exhaust. The oil that gets int othe intake atomizes and is fed to the engine. On a MAF equipped car it coats the MAF leads and skews the airflow readings. This leads to very sluggish performance and the car won't feel like it's producing boost, even though the turbo can be heard spooling.

On a SD equipped car it's worse. There isn't necessarily any loss of power indicators, but the atomized oil is introduced into the intake and then the combustion chambers. Oil has a low octane rating and can produce detonation......which will jack up the engine.

Oil in the intake is also a real pain on a FMIC equipped car. Takes a while to blow all the #$%^ oil out of it (know from experience ).

The above is why oil control is such a big deal on STS kits in particular.

I agree my FMIC Was filled with oil after the my STS Stoped working and was a real pain to clean everything.

Why do you say SD Cars is worse???

That method has worked for me a few times when I've had wiring or pump issues.

I stoped counting after the 5th time I saw smoke I really hate that
Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Why do you say SD Cars is worse???
X2, MAF would be worse since it WILL throw off your MAF reading, and thus fueling.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
I stoped counting after the 5th time I saw smoke I really hate that
LOL, life with a rear mount. I've had 3 physical pump failures and several electrical oopsies STS pump lasted 2000 miles, flowjet replacement lasted 15,000ish miles, 2nd flowjet lasted 250 miles, shurflo pump has seen 2000 so far and has been the best by far. No smoking and my drain line routing sucks (replacing it soon).

DON'T BE A JACKASS AND DO CRAP WIRING (like I did a few times). Once I cleaned up my wiring it's been good.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

LOL, life with a rear mount. I've had 3 physical pump failures and several electrical oopsies STS pump lasted 2000 miles, flowjet replacement lasted 15,000ish miles, 2nd flowjet lasted 250 miles, shurflo pump has seen 2000 so far and has been the best by far. No smoking and my drain line routing sucks (replacing it soon).

DON'T BE A JACKASS AND DO CRAP WIRING (like I did a few times). Once I cleaned up my wiring it's been good.

This is really stupid question I'm planning to do the STS all over again with twin new STS Pumps.

What do you mean about the Wiring??
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM

Default Setup Questions

Sorry,
New to the site but can you send me a parts list of your setup so far i have a 79 Firebird that I plan on rear mounting a twin turbo setup on later. I've been really eyein' the STS kits but they don't have a kit made specially for the older cars. If you could help me out that would be cool. Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 AM
mcx
Staging Lane

i'm shopping around for the SHURFLO 8000-643-210..anyone have a better price than $110 ????? thx,mike
Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

I've been using an $80 Flo-jet from Tractor Supply. It was designed as an agriculture sprayer pump. I was always worried that it would fail but after 1.5 years and 18,000 miles on my DD I stopped worrying about it. It is so damn loud though. Hell it vibrates the fenders. I got fed up with that last week and put a Walbro fuel pump back there. It worries me because it runs HOT. But at least its quite. I'm still looking for a better oil pump as I am going to move the Walbro back to the fuel system because my Bosch 044 is a POS. Another story.... I've read about people using the Holly blue line fuel pump for oil return.

Instead of just throwing Shurflo 8000-643-210 or Weldon 9200a out there how about somebody tell us how loud it is, low long it's lasted, and how much it costs???

If you need a 25 amp fuse on an oil return pump that sees no head pressure your ******* up!!! Also, .65 oil line restrictor seems a little large. I use a .35 like the APS systems do...but I could be wrong.

STS priced me there pump at $400. I thought it was a jitterbug/diaphragm pump also???? I've heard of many failures with this pump. At that price and failure rate, not for me.

Pump fail alarm??? I tried to build an alarm with no luck. There just isn't enough pressure on the outlet to keep even a 3 psi switch closed all the time. I gave up and just look for smoke. Does a vacuum switch on the suction side work reliably?

There is no strain on a pump making 2 psi. It doesn't matter where the return goes. The issue for this pump will be the extreme heat of the oil coming off the turbo.

To make a separate oil system for the turbo you would need 2 pumps, supply and return, an oil cooler, fan and temp switch, reservoir and a way to monitor the level. Not really worth the cost and complexity.

Anybody out there using a nice quite fuel pump as there return?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vwjunkie53
Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of gathering parts to built a rear mount turbo setup (like an sts, but doing it myself). I decided to do it this way after seeing a couple kits and how they worked, and also not wanting to hack up the car. Does anyone have a recomendation on a brand of oil return pumps? I have searched quite a bit, and of course everyone says their brand is the best. I would like to hear from someone that has one and has put some miles on it. This is a daily driver, and obviously if the pump craps out, you are stuck!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason
I bought the Turbowerx Exa Pump, higher pitch than the STS pump, quieter & a 5 year warranty. love it.

PLEASE compare the data sheets on the flow rates of the Shurflow & the Exa Pump. Yes there is a price difference, however I'm not aware of a warranty on the Shurflo. Interesting pump however, have to keep that one in mind.

On selection of turbos there is also the fact that with a ball bearing turbo you don't need much oil flow, hence you hear of people putting a inline piece to reduce the flow. WIth a journal bearing turbo you can have the extra flow.

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo setup, oil return pump suggestions?