Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS rear mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I am looking at this idea for my car is exactly what you stated. I really dont like the squashed and jammed engine compartment. There isnt a lot of room for a turbo their.

So, what kind of boost are you running? What does your power curve look like on the dyno?

My alternative is a magna charger. That seems to be more expensive though.

I dont know that I can get the pipes back up to the engine with the way my frame is setup. Might not work out.

Thanks for the input
Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been in two sts cars. Lt1 and ls1. Both seemed to work fine ,some ground clearance issues on the older design and not a huge fan of the no muffler thing.
Engine access is very good and you can keep air and don't have to relocate stuff.

I came close to buying one but the price really came up over what it was when they first came out.

I went front mount twin and am pretty happy with that but there are some tradeoffs. My kit does keep the air and you don't really have to relocate much. The kit has a different coolant overflow and windshield washer bottle but alternator stays in same place, battery ,etc. Plug access is pretty good pretty much stock.

Turbos work ,front mount or rear. Pros and cons for each setup.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevecerr
The reason I am looking at this idea for my car is exactly what you stated. I really dont like the squashed and jammed engine compartment. There isnt a lot of room for a turbo their.

So, what kind of boost are you running? What does your power curve look like on the dyno?

My alternative is a magna charger. That seems to be more expensive though.

I dont know that I can get the pipes back up to the engine with the way my frame is setup. Might not work out.

Thanks for the input
What kind of car will this be going on?

Magna makes some nice kits but I have never really looked at the price. Seems like they are very complete kits with tuning and all necessary parts for a complete install.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Default Sts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
If you are asking me, not much. I was saying that Jeezer's unsupported comment that it is "junk" proves that everyone has an opinion.
If I had to point to anything as its greatest flaw, I would have to say the return portion of the oiling system. They should have done like Vortech and punched a hole in the pan and returned the oil there. They did not. I have built a new engine, and that is what I did with it. I placed a true return line connector in the pan, and I fully expect to be completely satisfied with it.
And the oil pump was too loud, but I fixed that by putting isolation mounts on it. Again, something STS should have done in the first place.
I purchased my STS system in early 2004. I caught flack for years "too far", "lots of lag", and all kinds of stuff. But I have stock amount of room in the engine bay with nothing removed or relocated, no extra heat under the hood. And after I figured out that lack of heat was the culprit for slower spinup time and wrapped the exhaust (had to go to a turbo engineering forum for that one), virtually no lag at all.
So, if I had it to do over again and still only had our current 3 choices, whiny supercharger, under the hood turbo, or rear mount turbo, I would still make the same choice. I would just be a lot wiser and fix the issues faster this time.
But like I stated earlier, none of these kits are perfect or complete. Be prepared to "fine tune" them, if you will.
So you wrapped the the exhaust piping and it helped??Thats good thinkin there cause as you already no when the car sits for a few mins if you start it and try to boost it, it lags for a sec. What did you wrap it with i got to try that...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

I had one on a 98 Camaro and I liked it until I drove my car in the rain. Even with the sock on the air filter it pulled in moister and made my car run like crap. This happened every time it got wet. I'd recommend a blower, they work great on street cars and you can drive them in any weather conditions.

By the way I didn't give up easily I tried relocating the rear mount air filter. I purchased a shield and even had a cover fitted to keep water off the air filter. Nothing worked and I wasted a lot of time and money. I ended up installing another blower and now make more power with no problems.

Hope this helps,
Jon
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GAKz28camaro
So you wrapped the the exhaust piping and it helped??Thats good thinkin there cause as you already no when the car sits for a few mins if you start it and try to boost it, it lags for a sec. What did you wrap it with i got to try that...
Yes, a lot. We had a long discussion about it on the turbo forum, and it was determined that the turbine itself requires heat energy to decrease spool-up time. That is why the front mount turbos spool faster. I use DEI exhaust wrap at this time, although there are other brands out there. I use a single layer, although I have always wanted to test using a double layer of 2" wrap. PITA to install, but works great, IMHO.

Quick Reply: STS rear mount turbo