Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS rear mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS rear mount turbo

Has anyone used one of these?

How about commentary on how effective these are. Any known issues?

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

Universal Stage III - ($2995 MSRP) Sale Price of $2,695.00
Turbo (application specific)
Wastegate, 38mm
Wastegate Pipe
Wiring Harness
Silicone Kit
Air Filter
Dry-charger
Hose Kit
Clamp Kit
Turbo Flange Kit
Bolt Kit
Brass Kit
Oil Pump
Oil Check Valve
Pipe Kit
PCV System
Pressure Switch
Instruction Manual

Please note that the turbo which is included with your Universal Kit will be sized specifically for your application and horsepower goals.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

There are tons of threads for this, go nuts with the search button
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of them before.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie
Never heard of them before.
Seriously.....search. More threads than can be counted.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Seriously.....search. More threads than can be counted.

ST80 butt mounted

thats in his sig so I imagine he has an STS kit
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Launching!

search and look at some of schantins threads had some excellent ideas. Look at all the options and then get a speed shop to give you a price on front mount might be happier. Add all the stuff sts doesn't offer in there kit also talk to frost about changes to those systems he has made cna be made to work but takes seriuos effort.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
ST80 butt mounted

thats in his sig so I imagine he has an STS kit
I know. Zombie's a rear-mount info guru.... which is what made me laugh when I read his post.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS = Sucky Turbo System?
Opinions on these are like sphincters: everyone has one.
If you are thinking of FI, remember two things:
First, all have their strengths and their shortcomings.
Second, none are complete and cost $$ to finish.
I strongly suggest that you do a search as suggested, and read the sticky at the top of this section about the true cost of FI.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Yep, I read the search button topics and I can only find posts that dance around the idea of a butt mounted charger. I wanted to hear from those who had it, had problems maybe those who loved it, that sort of thing.

I heard theres alot more that needs to be added to make it work well. I know on the viper sites its not a big hit.

On my 73 vette, the car in question, I really dont have much room for a tt front mount or at least I have been able to find anyone that can do the work for a decent price. Thats where this butt mount idea comes in..
Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you HAVE to go turbo or twin turbos?

If space is tight then a procharger really may be your best option.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

O.K., Steve. I have had one for 4 years. I love it, because on my car any front mount requires relocation or removal of accessories.
But I had to upgrade the fuel system (pump, injectors), buy gauges, and get a tune. And to make real power, you need meth injection and/or an intercooler. But that is true of a supercharger as well.
So that is where the added expense comes in: fuel system upgrades and cooling solutions. And I have upgraded the clamps and the crappy silicone lines, including the elbow. (Minor expenses relatively speaking.)
The only problem I have had was the oil check valve went out and I had to replace it.
I really like the fact that if I get tired of it, all I have to do is remove it and retune it. And the engine bay remains relatively pristine and not any more crowded.
Personally, I hate the whine of a supercharger. It is a dead giveaway, and my car is a sleeper.
I just wish it had a muffler; I find the loud exhaust offensive. But that's just me.
On your car, you are going to have to fabricate some tubing; what they supply ain't gonna fit. And is your car carburetored? Not sure how that is done these days; back in the day they tried blow through systems which had lots of issues, IIRC.

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 01-30-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

search no my screen name and you will find TONS of info I have posted that should help you. I have been running a rear mount setup since 2004. My saga thread probably has the most useful info.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
STS = Sucky Turbo System?
Opinions on these are like sphincters: everyone has one.
If you are thinking of FI, remember two things:
First, all have their strengths and their shortcomings.
Second, none are complete and cost $$ to finish.
I strongly suggest that you do a search as suggested, and read the sticky at the top of this section about the true cost of FI.
sts.... i am not a fan of the design. junk IMO
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

The universal system is great because it allows you to do remote mount or low front mount turbos on any car!

Last edited by Turbo 6.0; 02-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeezer
sts.... i am not a fan of the design. junk IMO
Thanks. That was exactly my point.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. That was exactly my point.
What about the design do you not like? Is it the remote mount part of it? The oiling system?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
What about the design do you not like? Is it the remote mount part of it? The oiling system?
If you are asking me, not much. I was saying that Jeezer's unsupported comment that it is "junk" proves that everyone has an opinion.
If I had to point to anything as its greatest flaw, I would have to say the return portion of the oiling system. They should have done like Vortech and punched a hole in the pan and returned the oil there. They did not. I have built a new engine, and that is what I did with it. I placed a true return line connector in the pan, and I fully expect to be completely satisfied with it.
And the oil pump was too loud, but I fixed that by putting isolation mounts on it. Again, something STS should have done in the first place.
I purchased my STS system in early 2004. I caught flack for years "too far", "lots of lag", and all kinds of stuff. But I have stock amount of room in the engine bay with nothing removed or relocated, no extra heat under the hood. And after I figured out that lack of heat was the culprit for slower spinup time and wrapped the exhaust (had to go to a turbo engineering forum for that one), virtually no lag at all.
So, if I had it to do over again and still only had our current 3 choices, whiny supercharger, under the hood turbo, or rear mount turbo, I would still make the same choice. I would just be a lot wiser and fix the issues faster this time.
But like I stated earlier, none of these kits are perfect or complete. Be prepared to "fine tune" them, if you will.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

If you are asking me, not much. I was saying that Jeezer's unsupported comment that it is "junk" proves that everyone has an opinion.
If I had to point to anything as its greatest flaw, I would have to say the return portion of the oiling system. They should have done like Vortech and punched a hole in the pan and returned the oil there. They did not. I have built a new engine, and that is what I did with it. I placed a true return line connector in the pan, and I fully expect to be completely satisfied with it.
And the oil pump was too loud, but I fixed that by putting isolation mounts on it. Again, something STS should have done in the first place.
I purchased my STS system in early 2004. I caught flack for years "too far", "lots of lag", and all kinds of stuff. But I have stock amount of room in the engine bay with nothing removed or relocated, no extra heat under the hood. And after I figured out that lack of heat was the culprit for slower spinup time and wrapped the exhaust (had to go to a turbo engineering forum for that one), virtually no lag at all.
So, if I had it to do over again and still only had our current 3 choices, whiny supercharger, under the hood turbo, or rear mount turbo, I would still make the same choice. I would just be a lot wiser and fix the issues faster this time.
But like I stated earlier, none of these kits are perfect or complete. Be prepared to "fine tune" them, if you will.
The reason that we don't go to the oil pan as you are suggesting is because we always try to make the kit as bolt on as possible. Pulling the oil pan isn't as easy or straight forward for most people as replacing the oil cap.

The pumps have also had a few upgrades to deal with the noise and efficiency. First the straight cut gears have been replaced with helical cut gears which not only makes it better at oil scavenging but also more quiet. Second the newest pumps that we are currenty putting into production have new mounting brackets with much thicker rubber mounts to also combat the noise problem.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
The reason that we don't go to the oil pan as you are suggesting is because we always try to make the kit as bolt on as possible. Pulling the oil pan isn't as easy or straight forward for most people as replacing the oil cap.

The pumps have also had a few upgrades to deal with the noise and efficiency. First the straight cut gears have been replaced with helical cut gears which not only makes it better at oil scavenging but also more quiet. Second the newest pumps that we are currenty putting into production have new mounting brackets with much thicker rubber mounts to also combat the noise problem.
I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating my findings. If by "we" you are stating that you represent STS, well, that is a whole 'nuther can of worms.
What I did is go to the Vortech website and download their instructions. They have the user basically punch a hole in the pan, rather than pull it. IMHO, the return to the valve cover puts way too much oil in a location that was not designed for it and cannot handle it. But that's me, I'm only an engineer.
The pump mounting was hokey, hands down. It bolts straight to the body and vibrated like a banshee. I used true isolation mounts and it fixed the problem. I went round and round with STS at the time, and they told me the pump was faulty.
I did not mention the fact that STS claims the charge pipe running up the driver's side can substitute as a subframe connector. Again, as an engineer, I cry
We can go on and on if that is what you want to do..
If you want to come on here and defend STS decisions, then we can go to town. I have owned my kit since early 2004, so I have lots of experience.
You should really make these posts on STS web site, not here.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating my findings. If by "we" you are stating that you represent STS, well, that is a whole 'nuther can of worms.
What I did is go to the Vortech website and download their instructions. They have the user basically punch a hole in the pan, rather than pull it. IMHO, the return to the valve cover puts way too much oil in a location that was not designed for it and cannot handle it. But that's me, I'm only an engineer.
The pump mounting was hokey, hands down. It bolts straight to the body and vibrated like a banshee. I used true isolation mounts and it fixed the problem. I went round and round with STS at the time, and they told me the pump was faulty.
I did not mention the fact that STS claims the charge pipe running up the driver's side can substitute as a subframe connector. Again, as an engineer, I cry
We can go on and on if that is what you want to do..
If you want to come on here and defend STS decisions, then we can go to town. I have owned my kit since early 2004, so I have lots of experience.
You should really make these posts on STS web site, not here.
You misunderstood what I was trying to say with my first thread. I am not arguing with you but rather letting people know what improvements we (yes I do work at STS) have made over the last few years.

I agree that the older style F-body kit needed some TLC which is why we recently did a complete revamp of the system. The oil pump is no longer mounted directly to the body but rather to a aluminium bracket with rubber bushings. I agree that the pipe that is said to double as a subframe connector is not as stout as a SLP but it is better than nothing. The new system has square tubing that triangluates the "sub-frame connector" pipe to the center of the vehicle smular to the SLP setup. Again I am not saying that it is as stiff as a SLP but that it is a substantial improvement over stock.

I personally would be a little worried about drilling a hole in my oil pan without removing it. I am in no was discrediting the Vortech system we just do things differently. I have heard people say they are worried about having excessive oil going to the valve cover but I have yet to date heard of this causing any problems.

Again I am not trying to argue with you I am just trying to let people know what improvements we have made in a effort to produce a solid, high quality bolt on turbo system.

Quick Reply: STS rear mount turbo