Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Max boost with a LS GM casting head?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Max boost with a LS GM casting head?

What is the max boost/HP a factory head casting like a 317, or 241 will hold before it flexes and pushes water, or blows the gasket. This is on a fully built studed iron block, MLS gaskets with a good tune. I have heard of 24~26psi with AFR's but the factory head is a lot lighter casting. Any first hand experience appreciated. Thanks J
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a lot to do with the tune. Seems with a decent tune most area able to run 18-20 with no issues.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

I would like to know as well
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

This guy is using stock castings

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lbs-today.html
Old 01-30-2009, 02:34 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by rx_treme
It has a lot to do with the tune. Seems with a decent tune most area able to run 18-20 with no issues.
Yah that's about what I was figuring. I need to be able to run ~26PSI with a PT88 on 370CI. Was thinking about going iron heads but the decks are alot thinner than the aluminum castings. Another issue is Im afraid of ripping the rocker arm bosses out of the factory castings.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stock48
Yah that's about what I was figuring. I need to be able to run ~26PSI with a PT88 on 370CI. Was thinking about going iron heads but the decks are alot thinner than the aluminum castings. Another issue is Im afraid of ripping the rocker arm bosses out of the factory castings.
do u have proof that the iron castings decks are thinner?
what did u measure them at, what was the thickness for both castings?
y do u think the bosses will tear out? which heads the alum. or iron?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

wouldnt you have detonating problems using iron heads at that power level? would you be running meth?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS
do u have proof that the iron castings decks are thinner?
what did u measure them at, what was the thickness for both castings?
y do u think the bosses will tear out? which heads the alum. or iron?
Im worried about ripping the bosses out of the aluminum heads. You can see and feel the deck thickness on both aluminum, and Iron heads through the water jacket. The iron head is about 40% thinner on the deck, and water jackets are larger further weakening the head. If the thickness was the same on both heads the iron would definitely be stronger.

Originally Posted by extremetoy
wouldnt you have detonating problems using iron heads at that power level? would you be running meth?
Not worried about det. At boost levels over 15PSI I will be either running E85, or race gas + meth.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Have you ever heard of anyone ripping the bosses for the rocker arms out ?? I havent. If they have, someone likely damaged the threads.

If the threads did need to be stronger, helicoiling them is easy.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never seen a stock head just grenade from sheer pressure. Overheating will cause a warped, or cracked head. Overboosting per application would usually produce blown head gaskets first, cylinder deformation, and detonation (which would probably take its toll on the piston/ring assembly before it trashed the heads). Am I wrong?
I'm curious on this topic also. I'm at the same altitude as stock48. I'm wondering if lack of oxygen at altitude would play a part as well. Lower oxygen level at altitude would produce lower cylinder pressures (all other factors equal).
And I'd worry about the rocker bearings shelling out before I'd worry about ripping out boss bolts.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

i've not heard of ripping out rocker arm bolts personally.

Also if you're worried about the stock heads pushing water go with some AFR's which are thicker than stock casts and ARP head studs.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Have you ever heard of anyone ripping the bosses for the rocker arms out ?? I havent. If they have, someone likely damaged the threads.

If the threads did need to be stronger, helicoiling them is easy.
Originally Posted by 108dragon
I've never seen a stock head just grenade from sheer pressure. Overheating will cause a warped, or cracked head. Overboosting per application would usually produce blown head gaskets first, cylinder deformation, and detonation (which would probably take its toll on the piston/ring assembly before it trashed the heads). Am I wrong?
I'm curious on this topic also. I'm at the same altitude as stock48. I'm wondering if lack of oxygen at altitude would play a part as well. Lower oxygen level at altitude would produce lower cylinder pressures (all other factors equal).
And I'd worry about the rocker bearings shelling out before I'd worry about ripping out boss bolts.

Also if you're worried about the stock heads pushing water go with some AFR's which are thicker than stock casts and ARP head studs.
This is a guy over on perf trucks, and others have done this. I plan on running some stiff springs and don't want to do this. My heads are ported but not excessive. I did grind down the rocker stud boss inside the intake port. I didn't take a lot off but Im sure I weakend it.
Attached Thumbnails Max boost with a LS GM casting head?-0123091504yf3.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 AM
9 Second Truck Club

I would love to have a set of AFR's on this engine but they will raise my CR, and I have to buy a set of 305cc AFR's for my 505 66 Chevelle. Can't afford two sets of AFR's right now
Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 AM
9 Second Club

I'd say anyone who has pulled the rockers from the heads, as done so by overtightening the bolts, and ripping the threads from the head.

It isnt due to them being inadequate for the job, its down to shoddy workmanship.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Without knowing what else was involved, I would call that a casting or metalurgy issue. Possibly too much material removed in the port. If the bolts backed out and there was a lot of back and forth movement, that could have caused that breakage there also. What did the rest of the bosses look like on that head?
What power adder are you boosting your stock heads with? I'm here in Pueblo and would like to see how you're setup works. I'm getting ready to mount up a Paxton Novi 2000RR to an LS1 and boost it till it shells out. Then I can tell you first hand. lol
But I think you're asking compound questions. What you are starting with, compression wise, will have a lot to do with the engines longevity (or lack thereof) under the boost levels you're suggesting. The cam you are running may have enough overlap to bleed off boost too. There are a lot of variables. But pressure wise, I don't think a well prepped set of stock heads are going to be your first problem.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Without knowing what else was involved, I would call that a casting or metalurgy issue. Possibly too much material removed in the port. If the bolts backed out and there was a lot of back and forth movement, that could have caused that breakage there also. What did the rest of the bosses look like on that head?
What power adder are you boosting your stock heads with? I'm here in Pueblo and would like to see how you're setup works. I'm getting ready to mount up a Paxton Novi 2000RR to an LS1 and boost it till it shells out. Then I can tell you first hand. lol
But I think you're asking compound questions. What you are starting with, compression wise, will have a lot to do with the engines longevity (or lack thereof) under the boost levels you're suggesting. The cam you are running may have enough overlap to bleed off boost too. There are a lot of variables. But pressure wise, I don't think a well prepped set of stock heads are going to be your first problem.
Im running a turbo, boost only. I guess I just worry too much, these light casting heads scare me. I was running 15PSI here in Co, and spiked 18psi in vegas on my old 6.0L. Whan I pulled the heads after the stock bottom end let go the heads, and gaskets were sealed up fine. I was only running a 212@.050'' .527'' cam with 125/290 lbs spring. New setup is 215/215 @.050'' .566''/.566'', 150/360lbs spring psi. The bosses held fine before but I don't trust them with the higher spring psi.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Everyone else trusts the bosses and has no problems.

Quick Reply: Max boost with a LS GM casting head?