Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Big TVS blower on my LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big TVS blower on my LS3

Well i have a bult 414 LS3 with L92 CNC'd heads and all the goodies in my CTS-V. Well im tired of spraying this thing and want to go with a bigger blower. Im not going to send my car off to EPP for a blower and not going to fab up my own procharger kit. So whats the deal with the big TVS blowers? I make a little over 500rw on pump gas and NA right now. Can you spray meth on/through these things without damaging them? What kind of power could i make on pump?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait a while for the factory LSA(09 ctsv) and LS9(ZR1) superchargers to be available. Supposedly they come out in the third quarter of 2009(what i heard from a good GM source). If you want bolt on stuff just get a procharger kit or similar. I dont understand why you said you have to "fabricate" stuff with a procharger. Im sure there are bolt on kits for that chassis arent there? I could be wrong though, good luck either way.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you can spray meth and im assuiming you can make 700rwhp on pump if your compression ratio isnt sky high. A badass 427ci (F1-R?) Procharged 2008 Corvette Z06 at EPP just made like 954rwhp on pump gas so yeah anything is possible with the right components and enough fuel
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Meth might attack the rotors and will almost certainly attack the intercooler core, so you won't be able to inject it before the blower. You'd probably need 8 nozzles.

Jim
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

EPP is the only "kit" that is in existance for my car and they wont sell it to me. Trust me procharger is 100% the route i would like to go.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

considering procharger does not have a current kit for the ctsv i am sure EPP had to take an existing kit and modify it to fit and fabricate some pieces.I am pretty sure thats why they want it installed by them
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We sent out our CTS-V kit to a big name shop last year and they totally screwed it up. I had their customer ship his V to us from Florida and we had to start all over and fix everything for this poor guy. They even ruined the ATI Performance Products harmonic balancer... This shop went ahead and charged him for the full install, even though they took our kit back off. I only charged him $500.00 for the install, and after that we decided we're only going to do the V kits in house.
We also very recently had a V shipped to us from Texas, this customer had another shop try to duplicate our kit and they really messed his car up. You should of seen the mess they made!
We have quite a few of these installs, we can have it done in under a week from the time we receive the car. Here is a link to the complete install price. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=434

A top mounted blower typically does not offer the performance of a ProCharger. The Ford Lightnings and Cobras with the top mounted blower lose 50 rwhp on our dyno after the first run, as heat soak is a big problem with them. Bob
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Bob, but the guys selling them will tell you the IAT's will never go up even when you strap a 122 to 400+ci good breathing engine lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Meth might attack the rotors and will almost certainly attack the intercooler core, so you won't be able to inject it before the blower. You'd probably need 8 nozzles.

Jim
Not entirely true. I am injecting meth at the TB now but will move it to the intake pan (after the intercooler) in a spray bar setup. Probably going to use two bars running length wise with holes drilled into the bar evenly down both sides pointing into the direction of the intake ports. My rotor blades are not teflon tipped like some of the older systems. I am however worried about the intercooler corroding.

Question - Can a NOS or other system be used for incorporation into the injector for meth injection?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Ive had top mount blowers, big Twin screws, prochagers, nitrous all that. I love procharger the best but ive had terrible experiances with alot of shops and only trust one shop as of now. EPP if you guys would send me a quote for an F1 series blower installed id appreciate that though. I think F1C or F1A would be the way to go, R isnt needed
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the rotors on your KB, the TVS and my Whipple are at least anodized which will help a lot for the short amounts of time they will see meth. But those IC cores with their high surface area and all those tiny fins - meth should eat that stuff quick.

I like your spraybar idea, and you could absolutely use NOS jets and HW so you could have some adjustability. I'd pay a couple bucks more for the stainless jets.

Jim
Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

I guess I was unclear in my question which is typical. Can somebody use the NOS Nozzle injector system to spray meth?

Is there a coating process used to protect intercooler core?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Is there a coating process used to protect intercooler core?
If you coat the inside of the intercooler to protect it from methanol, you made it totally worthless in removing any heat from the intake charge. The coating will not transfer heat anything close to that of bare aluminum.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Guys over on the truck side have been spraying meth through the maggies for a long time with no known problems yet.

The TVS series also run much cooler than the 112/122.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

i know people spray nitrous through eatons and the rotors look good.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Well we (the board) also recently had a intercooler failure and it ended up hydrolocking the motor and meth was a possible cause.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A top mounted blower typically does not offer the performance of a ProCharger. The Ford Lightnings and Cobras with the top mounted blower lose 50 rwhp on our dyno after the first run, as heat soak is a big problem with them. Bob
Interesting view Bob, care to substantiate that claim with some hard Data? I have seen 700, 800, 900, even 1000 HP out of a TVS 2300 on a properly thought out combination. I have also seen IAT temps no more than 30* over ambient on these test runs, on the dyno, on the track, on the street. The days of the centrifugal supercharger being the king of the mountain are numbered, the introduction of the TVS 1900/2300 brings an entirely new future to supercharging.

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Well we (the board) also recently had a intercooler failure and it ended up hydrolocking the motor and meth was a possible cause.
The circumstances behind that are far too skewed to know the true facts. The last I heard it was fixed and down the road.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Moderately Differentiated

I have been spraying meth thru my 112 radix since 2005. Nitrous along with it since, uhm...I'd say 2 yrs ago. I spray enough meth that it will just about bottom the wideband out on rich if it weren't for the 75 shot of nitrous. I am not 100% sure what damage is done by it, but it hasn't come apart yet. I installed blower in earlier 2005 with 75K on truck. I am 145K right now. There's obviously alot of variables of the unknown in there...how much of those miles are actually sprayed (eh 15% maybe?) and so on. I'll take mine apart one day and of ocurse will share pics with the performance community.

To be honest, I am more worried about my injectors getting hosed by all the meth going by them.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The days of the centrifugal supercharger being the king of the mountain are numbered, the introduction of the TVS 1900/2300 brings an entirely new future to supercharging.
Wow you are drinking that Kool-Aid aren't you...They are not the only ones on the block making big numbers with a Roots system.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I have been spraying meth thru my 112 radix since 2005. Nitrous along with it since, uhm...I'd say 2 yrs ago. I spray enough meth that it will just about bottom the wideband out on rich if it weren't for the 75 shot of nitrous. I am not 100% sure what damage is done by it, but it hasn't come apart yet. I installed blower in earlier 2005 with 75K on truck. I am 145K right now. There's obviously alot of variables of the unknown in there...how much of those miles are actually sprayed (eh 15% maybe?) and so on. I'll take mine apart one day and of ocurse will share pics with the performance community.

To be honest, I am more worried about my injectors getting hosed by all the meth going by them.
That is good to know.

Quick Reply: Big TVS blower on my LS3