Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ONGOING ISSUES WITH MY PROCHARGER SETUP................

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ONGOING ISSUES WITH MY PROCHARGER SETUP................

To start...

My car has been driven probably 2 weeks out of the entire summer.....and thats starting to **** me off...

I have a ATI D-1SC kit on my car....I had Chris Sikora (Z9's) buld a custom bracket support to stop the bracket from flexing....what he did worked....I was fighting the issue of the belts still getting destroyed after one pull on the dyno..

I'm running a 7.85" ASP 8 rib crank pulley, and I have a 3.3" ASP 8 rib blower pulley, also have two other reichard pulleys that really destroyed the belts....

Now the belts do not slip, but they walk off of the pulley....

The car has been in and out of Speed Inc. for the last MONTHS.....EVERYTHING looks well with the alingment and what not with the pulleys, but its still not working.....they have ran out of ideas and so have I...

Getting close to selling it all.............

Anyone got any ideas???
Old 10-08-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ONGOING ISSUES WITH MY SETUP................

Turbo
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

I'd like to see a picture of this ATI setup anyone have one?

How good is the ATI tensioner?
Old 10-08-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what they tell me the belt is getting enough tension.....

ScottWS6 had pics of his setup, which is near identical to mine.....
Old 10-08-2003, 01:51 PM
7 Second Club

Bos I don't want to sound like a dick but selling it would be your best bet.I have followed your posts since I registered and I know you want to run 9s.Even if you get it resolved it won't get you to your goals.You're dealing with all of the same stuff I had going on last year.This is why I have such a negative opinion of the ATI LS1 systems.I you still want to go FI sell the ATI and trailer the car to QMP for a turbo installed by them.If they install it you are much less likely to have problems and if you did there is no finger-pointing at a 3rd party.Hopefully you can recoup a good portion of what you spent.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you just give me your firehawk hood, i bet all your belt slipping problems would go away

it is alot easier to get nines with n2o, but there are gain being made in the FI world, with your reasearch on this it will fix the problems down the line for the others, and eventaully we'll get there.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea's here, but I'm feeling your pain. I didn't come close to having this kind of problems with my Powerdyne kit with the exception of the cooling issue but that was an easy fix. This belt breakage, slippage issue is total ****. I wonder if ATI even visits these boards to get feedback on their kits. I would think the vendors would be on the horn with ATI, telling them all the issues with belt breakage/slip but I guess not. Its pretty sad when Powerdyne beats out ATI with reliability. I broke only two internal belts with the PD one was from everyday wear and tear from track duty and street duty the other was when I spun the head unit too fast with a custom 2.7in pulley and the promptly destroyed it, that lil PD had over 40,000miles on it.
ATI has tensioner issues with wear and bearings, belt slip, belt breakage, bracket flex. I nipped the tensioner wear problem in the bud with the camarogod piece but the extra weight of it might becausing some additional issues with bearing life. Before the engine tear down, I replace 5 s/c belts in 5 weeks, that is just
I would love to see the full potential of this kit as well as the D1's pontential but with all the problems listed above I know I will have a hard time. Turbos look better and better but I am flat broke now.

The best advice I can give you is to call sd-concepts and try to get his 8 rib set up with spring tensioner. He wants you to send your brackets, stand offs,etc. so he can check pulley alignment and to modify your bracket for the spring tensioner. This is what I was going to do a the start of the engine swap but he could'nt give me a definate time that he would have the whole shebang shipped back to me. And he has trouble returning calls and is kinda hard to get a hold of, but what else can we ATI guys do?
:rant off:
J

PS
On the bright side my engine install is on the second week, the car is outside( I have a small garage) and it doesn't look like it will get done anytime soon. Sunday at the earliest. Thats when the extra helping hands have a day off.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

One word - COG
Old 10-08-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

These kinds of posts are making me rethink my thoughts on getting an ATI D1

Old 10-08-2003, 03:05 PM
SSU Moderator

does anyone have any kind of pick or artist rendering of how the pulley/tensioner setup looks from directly in front of the motor? its so damn hard to see from these pics. most of the custom stuff I see (from my recolection) has more belt wrap on the blower pulley and the tensioner is quite close the head unit. I just can't visuallize the setup/problem.

Anyway, my suggestion is to get it all redone at a reputable shop (speed inc could). ALL new brackets/locations. you could move up to a 12-rib (ATI has some for their LT1 kits) and most dudes use 2 6 ribs. Also, what about another custom pulley w/ really wide outside ribs to keep the belt on.

RJ
Old 10-08-2003, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

How about someone post a pic of the setup.

Cog = $80 belts Todd, and 8 rib belts are $8.

I did a lot of research on blower setups.

I looked at what LT1 blower cars were doing.

I looked at what the Mustangs were doing.

I came to the conclusion that I would try to run as much belt tension as I can until I was worried about ruining the front bearings in the supercharger.

I don't like the idea of quitting when you can see the goal line.

Can you twist the belt 90 degrees with your hand? You want it to almost twang.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

i have ordered the sd-concepts stuff for my semi-custom P1 buildup.

i will be sure to post how well it does or does not work.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Bos - Have you checked the idler pulley to see if it is worn? My stock aluminum idler wore uneven across the face. If it's worn uneven it might be twisting the belts and causing them to walk off under load.

One other thing I would check is the groove on the blower bracket and idler mechanism to make sure there is no play between them. Also, when you put tension on the belt do you snug up the idler bolt that goes through the bracket into the back of the idler pulley just a little before putting tension on the belt with the top bolt. I'm not saying to crank the idler bolt tight just snug it up enough to keep the idler pulley from tilting as you put tension on the belt while still allowing the setup to move downwards.

I know this all sounds confusing if you haven't seen the ATI setup(sorry no pics) but, it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the belt to walk if the pulleys are inline.

Heath - Keep us updated for sure.

Somebody needs to rig up a Procharger in a Vortech setup.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

My custom stuff "should" work..

There is no reason it should fail..

Maybe Speed Inc. can chime in on some of the other stuff they have come upon with all of this....
Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 PM
7 Second Club

Anyway, my suggestion is to get it all redone at a reputable shop (speed inc could). ALL new brackets/locations. you could move up to a 12-rib (ATI has some for their LT1 kits) and most dudes use 2 6 ribs. Also, what about another custom pulley w/ really wide outside ribs to keep the belt on.

RJ
In order to make a 12-rib fit you would have to move the alternator.With my custom 8-rib there was a 1/4 inch of clearance max.The LTI cars have much more room than we do.A cog may do the trick,I you find a remedy you would be the hero of the ATI belt shredding crowd.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I think I have less clearance than that, before I got the brackets re-enforced the blower pulley was grinding up against the alternator pulley....

I guess that was that nasty screeching sound....

XLR8NSS thanks for the info...if I had the time I would go over to the shop and check out all this stuff my self, (college and work take up most of my day), but I have to relay it, and weather it gets done or not is a crap shoot....

Old 10-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Yea, I think I have less clearance than that, before I got the brackets re-enforced the blower pulley was grinding up against the alternator pulley....

I guess that was that nasty screeching sound....

Old 10-08-2003, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Here is a addendum question, hopefully not too dumb...

If you were to say use a tq wrench on an idler of any kind, and let's say it read 20 or, 100 or 150, is that the actual tension of the belt?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:01 PM
8 Second Club

i'm guessing you have an alignment issue. try removing the little spacer ring between the blower pulley and the head unit. that should bring the pulley closer to the bracket and a bit farther from the alt.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:02 PM
8 Second Club

good question psj.

Quick Reply: ONGOING ISSUES WITH MY PROCHARGER SETUP................