Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What boost controller? AMS-500 or E-Boost 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NLR
the ams1000 is simple to hook up and very easy to set up as well. You can use manifold pressure as your source air if you like as well. Yes the way we control our ramps is entirely different than that of a nitrous controller. This is due to the fact that the duty cycle of the solenoid is constantly changing to adapt in real time to acheive our target pressure in the required amount of time that you dictate.

To give an example of our ramp control.

If we used a input pressure of 100 psi and told the controller to put 30 psi on the gate and we used a rate of 1 psi per second. The controller will only apply 1 psi of air every second until it reaches 30 psi. This will take 30 seconds total time.

If we then reduced the input pressure to 30 psi( far less than 100 psi) and told the controller to do the same thing...the outcome will be exactly the same.

This is due to our proprietary control algorithms.

In addition to having the best controller we have the best tech support in the industry as well. You can reach us at hours when the other companies are closed. When you call you talk to me...the guy who designs all the units and owns the business! My wife doesnt like the fact that I answer the phone at 10:30 at night with calls forwarded to my cell but without our customers we wouldnt be where we are today so its worth it. I know what its like to be at a race track and just need a simple answer so I try to make sure our customers have the best support ever.

Merry christmas everyone!!
The list of companies that I deal with that pick up their main customer service line at 8PM on a Saturday are very few. These guys score 10 out of 10 on customer service.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NLR
Once someone changes to our controls from another controller they experience control at a different level. Yes the controllers are not designed to fit in your ac vent..they are hardcore air management systems designed to control within 1/10 of a psi. No overshoot, no undershoot, no duty cycle settings to set and no guessing what its going to do as it will do the same thing everytime. The most advanced ramp control in the industry. The quickest and fastest turbocars in the world rely on our controls for that reason. Plenty of choices out there...as long as your happy thats all that counts.
i run a basic duty cycle boost controller off my PCS data logger using a 3 port mac valve, i have a 3d map of boost vs road speed and i can dial up the boost as i go down the track etc, i run 15psi spring in the gate and i want peak boost of around 26psi eventually

can i run one of your systems with no C02? i like to keep things simple, 30% duty gives me 22psi at the moment and on the dyno 50% duty gave me 26psi but that will probably come down to 40% at the track.

i dont need to pull much power out at the start as i have 33x16.5 with a powerglide and it seems to hold 1200hp off the brake no problem at all when the track is there, so i probably just want to ramp from say 24psi off the transbrake to 26psi at the top of the track,

what can you do for me? the cars gone 8.20@170 off the wastegate spring and i want to start winding it up!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

How do you use co2 with your boost controller? whats the added cost? Is it difficult to set up? Do you add co2 for added safety or to run more boost?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
i run a basic duty cycle boost controller off my PCS data logger using a 3 port mac valve, i have a 3d map of boost vs road speed and i can dial up the boost as i go down the track etc, i run 15psi spring in the gate and i want peak boost of around 26psi eventually

can i run one of your systems with no C02? i like to keep things simple, 30% duty gives me 22psi at the moment and on the dyno 50% duty gave me 26psi but that will probably come down to 40% at the track.

i dont need to pull much power out at the start as i have 33x16.5 with a powerglide and it seems to hold 1200hp off the brake no problem at all when the track is there, so i probably just want to ramp from say 24psi off the transbrake to 26psi at the top of the track,

what can you do for me? the cars gone 8.20@170 off the wastegate spring and i want to start winding it up!
I'll take a stab at this one. It seems like you pretty much have found a sweet spot with your combo and the spring that you are using in the gate. Typically speaking, the purpose of a boost controller like the AMS1000 is to regulate the power. If you can hold all that you got, give it all that you got and let her rip.

To address some of your specific questions. The AMS does not work of duty cycle. It would seem that commanding a specific duty cycle would deliver varying amounts of pressure as the source pressure fluctuates from your unregulated pressure source (boost) until it reaches the max boost that it will make at a given duty cycle. The AMS uses a MAP sensor that you put either in line between the noids and the WG or (preferably) directly in the top chamber of the WG. This way it knows how much actual pressure it is putting on the back of the gate regardless of the source pressure. Then you command how much pressure you want when and how fast you want to get there from where you are by using (I think) up to 6 programmable stages for the AMS1000.

What the CO2 does for you is give you a steady regulated 60 psi to use as your source for control regardless of how much boost you are actually making. This eliminates the chicken and the egg problem that you run into with using actual boost for control.

Originally Posted by nodrok
How do you use co2 with your boost controller? whats the added cost? Is it difficult to set up? Do you add co2 for added safety or to run more boost?
I use a cheap $120ish airshifter CO2 setup. It's a 10oz canister with 2 gauges and a regulator. Refills are $3 at your local paintball shop. My last fill lasted almost 6 months and my controller comes on and applies pressure to the gate as soon as I key on the car which is far more often than how most people do it (WOT only).
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I'll take a stab at this one. It seems like you pretty much have found a sweet spot with your combo and the spring that you are using in the gate. Typically speaking, the purpose of a boost controller like the AMS1000 is to regulate the power. If you can hold all that you got, give it all that you got and let her rip.

To address some of your specific questions. The AMS does not work of duty cycle. It would seem that commanding a specific duty cycle would deliver varying amounts of pressure as the source pressure fluctuates from your unregulated pressure source (boost) until it reaches the max boost that it will make at a given duty cycle. The AMS uses a MAP sensor that you put either in line between the noids and the WG or (preferably) directly in the top chamber of the WG. This way it knows how much actual pressure it is putting on the back of the gate regardless of the source pressure. Then you command how much pressure you want when and how fast you want to get there from where you are by using (I think) up to 6 programmable stages for the AMS1000.

What the CO2 does for you is give you a steady regulated 60 psi to use as your source for control regardless of how much boost you are actually making. This eliminates the chicken and the egg problem that you run into with using actual boost for control.
thanks for the reply,

the problem i have with the setup i have is at the start of the run it needs 15% more duty cycle to make the same boost, so im having a few problems getting the boost to stay stable and not creep up,

30% is 22psi at the top of the track but only 17psi at the start line, having only done 5 or 6 passes in the car it is taking a while to get ontop of the tune up because the boost is not stable, and putting it on the chassis dyno is useless as it just spins the tyres..

c02 isnt really a problem i have a setup from another car i can use and i have a large bottle i can refill from easily
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

with our controllers you can manipulate the pressure however you see fit. The benefit of co2 is not having to wait for manifold pressure to be made in order to apply it. With co2..tell the controller to apply 20 psi on the gate when the tbrake is on or 2 step is on..then reduce pressure as your going down the track or whatever you want it to do. You can have it apply 20 on the line, then dump to 0 by 3 tenths and then ramps slowely to 15 by 3 seconds etc.. Unlimited and no controller can match the ramp control our units have.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Launching!

with your controller will either of the inputs override the other one when switched on? or do you have to kill the signal to input 1 before input 2 takes over? or will input 2 always override input 1?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some interesting information here, good thread. I have eBoost2 on the Viper, but I honestly don't know much about boost controllers, a few others locally have had it and love it so that's why I went with it. Seems like a good piece to me, but so does the AMS.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

costs $3 dollars to fill at the local paintball shop.
. Refills are $3 at your local paintball shop. My last fill lasted almost 6 months and my controller comes on and applies pressure to the gate as soon as I key on the car which is far more often than how most people do it (WOT only).
Im going to build on this as i play paintball. any local sporting goods store that carrys paintball equipment will have tanks from 20oz to 40oz and regulators. here in houston I use Academy Sports and Outdoors. they have tanks, regulators, and a fill station.

I use my 40oz tanks on my welder as well, co2 for a shielding gas. they can be filled for like .15 cents per oz, 7 days a week.

Edit: a 40oz tank is physically not very big either, will fit in the glove box of an f body so it would be simple to have it last a year or more.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by overhere
with your controller will either of the inputs override the other one when switched on? or do you have to kill the signal to input 1 before input 2 takes over? or will input 2 always override input 1?
in dual stage mode with the 500 input 2 takes over regardless of input 1 condition.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NLR
with our controllers you can manipulate the pressure however you see fit. The benefit of co2 is not having to wait for manifold pressure to be made in order to apply it. With co2..tell the controller to apply 20 psi on the gate when the tbrake is on or 2 step is on..then reduce pressure as your going down the track or whatever you want it to do. You can have it apply 20 on the line, then dump to 0 by 3 tenths and then ramps slowely to 15 by 3 seconds etc.. Unlimited and no controller can match the ramp control our units have.
thanks for the reply, ill look into it a little more
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NLR
in dual stage mode with the 500 input 2 takes over regardless of input 1 condition.
thanks for your help, i will be ordering one in a month or so.

Quick Reply: What boost controller? AMS-500 or E-Boost 2?