Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Road race & Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road race & Overheating

This is my story:

In the past day's I tried to play for the first time in a Track day.

Well, only 5 minutes in the circuit and my car was hot like the hell, then I only stay out of the boost for 1 or 2 laps and the temp go down very quick, then again I push the gas, go to boost zone and after 5-6 min the overheating again.

That situation sucks because there were a lot of dumdumdumdum, porsche, etc and even when I can be a lot more quick I can’t stay in that situation for more than 5 minutes!... very frustrating

I look that my drive was in every time in the range between 4500 – 6200 rpms

Any idea to solve this?, My car don't have any problems out of the track, I think that I only need a good radiator or better water pump (EWP). Any trick?

347 Forged internals
STS 8 PSI

Any help is appreciate, and sorry for my English

Saludos desde Mexico City
Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Be-Cool rad & Mez EWP and my car stayed normal during a track day. Then I ran a 100 mile open road race & my car got hot because the wire broke to the water pump. Once I fixed that (& added an oil cooler) I had no issues, so it can be done.

This was all with a 402 + D1 @ 13 psi. Haven't been out yet with the 408 & F1.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Teching In

thanks wahusker

what size or model is your be-cool rad?
the MEZ ewp is the 55 GPM or the 35 GPM?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stick as big rad in there as you can and as much oil cooler to! the Corvette guys have a real problem keeping there cars cool. oil coolers really help!

other things to think about, additives for the water, coating VERYTHING that get hot under the hood (thinking about yuor exhaust manifolds), shrouding the intercooler and rad to make sure theair gose THROUGH them rather than just around them, venting the hood (its not just about getting the air into the engine, it has to go somewhere to!!), you could try spraying water onto the intercooler (this is done by WRC rally gusy and works a treat in REALLY hot conditions), meth injection (cooler intake temps will put less heat into the engine).....

if you wanted to run constant and NEVER over heat you might want to think about moving the rad to the rear of the car or adding an additional one there. i know it sounds stupid but i have seen LOTS of very high HP cars form and around Sweedon that use this and it works!

Cheers

Chris.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

My rad is the dbl core Be-Cool so it's BIG. I had to remove the AC condensor & move the rad forward in the mount to make it fit. And the Mez is the non-race version. Not sure they offered more than 1 flow rate for it when I bought it, so I don't know the answer. And I have a single core oil cooler (like a tranny cooler). You need something to cool the oil!

I also have the highest flow rate Spal fan you can buy. That made a big difference too.

But Chris made a good point, it's all about air flow. I've re-done mine so it sucks air thru the front, not the bottom. That is another trick the serious road race guys are doing. Post in the road race forum - lots of smart guys there that are willing to help (Sam, Lou, Boyce, etc).
Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

WAHUSKER have you got NO air coming from under the car (just in fornt of the rad) at all??

Chris.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Check out this build by EPP. Its on a C5 but you can incorporate a lot of the ideas into your car.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54

First steps would be new radiator (Tom Dewitt makes a nice one), better fans, external oil cooler. Im not sure how much shrouding affects the F-bodies, but if you can make sure the radiator is sealed off so air can't go around it.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
WAHUSKER have you got NO air coming from under the car (just in fornt of the rad) at all??

Chris.
Not intentionally. I ran my lower rad shroud over the bottom of the EPP FMIC & attached it to the rad brace. And then oopened up the grill to let air flow thru the FMIC into the rad & coolers.
Attached Thumbnails Road race & Overheating-100_1416.jpg   Road race & Overheating-coolers-meth.jpg   Road race & Overheating-fmic2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all of you.

I think i'm going to follow the WAHUSKER´s formula. It's urgent to me buy a RAD and the water pump.

I'm reading in the FRACS forum there is a lot info about this.

Hotrod68camaro: that vette is amazing! and it's full of greats ideas, thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
Check out this build by EPP. Its on a C5 but you can incorporate a lot of the ideas into your car.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54

First steps would be new radiator (Tom Dewitt makes a nice one), better fans, external oil cooler. Im not sure how much shrouding affects the F-bodies, but if you can make sure the radiator is sealed off so air can't go around it.
YEah thats Toms car. lovely Vatete and some very intresting ideas used! also worth having a look at AVB vette. agian a C5 but he had a heat tastic PTK twin turbo kit! but he got it to work amazingly well and could do a full 20 session without heat soak!

Chris.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Not intentionally. I ran my lower rad shroud over the bottom of the EPP FMIC & attached it to the rad brace. And then oopened up the grill to let air flow thru the FMIC into the rad & coolers.
Lovely seyup there mate! love the size of the meth tank! how much dose it hold?????

has anyone one here tries extractor hoods?? they work reallly well on other cars.

also is there any other intresting cooling ideas?? i heard of one company selling electronic cooler kits. they didn't use the normal AC style systems. anyone any coments???

also has anyone tries the oil to water coolers?? i hear they help keep the oil at a more constant temp. it will put more stress on the rad but then you wont have to find space/restrict the air flow with the oil cooler.....

Just ideas i have seen used on other applications

Chris.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

The "windshield washer" tank holds about 1 1/2 gal. It comes setup for meth with the Alky Control kit. I like it, it works well, but I must admit having that much pure alcohol on the nose of the car makes me a little nervous taking turns fast that have concrete barriers on them. Another reason I put a fire supression system on the car.....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

What coolers are you running?...oil and trans? What size are they? Setrab?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chuntington101
also worth having a look at AVB vette. agian a C5 but he had a heat tastic PTK twin turbo kit! but he got it to work amazingly well and could do a full 20 session without heat soak!

Chris.
AVB vette? Do you have a link?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

The "windshield washer" tank holds about 1 1/2 gal. It comes setup for meth with the Alky Control kit. I like it, it works well, but I must admit having that much pure alcohol on the nose of the car makes me a little nervous taking turns fast that have concrete barriers on them. Another reason I put a fire supression system on the car.....
Yeah....i see what you mean now i look at it agian! lol good idea with the Fire system. they dont cost a fortune but could save the car and your life!!!

Chris.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Yep! I watched a brand new Viper burn down from an oil leak at an Open Road Race & decided that wasn't for me. He had an extinguisher, but by the time he got it pulled over & stopped it was too little, too late. So I bought the ESS system a lot of the ORR guys use - multiple nozzles, refillable, and sprays non-corrosive foam that rinses off with water.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Hi there!

I race with Alejandro! I have a Camaro with all the goodies for road racing, but the point is that when the engine was NA (H/C/I), no problems were there, but now with the D1-SC, things went a little bit tuff! Now Alejandro and I, are on the task of getting a nice rad and tuffer water pump.

The thing is that with the poor fan system that comes with the Procharger kit, road racing is not an option! I bought the little spal 9 in and added it to the game, expecting to have some sort of improvement, but it did not help a bit

Me, water on 250 °F+, Oil do not want to remember As Alejandro said, it is a bit frustrating to be racing against exotic iron and only be able to keep up for a lap

BTW, has anyone have heard or experience with the "new" water pump from Edelbrok??? Any input!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Road race & Overheating