Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: How realiable is your procharger, p1sc or d1sc not really intersted in pb600 owners.
My p1sc or d1sc is very reliable
89.91%
My p1sc or d1sc is not very reliable.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Procharger problems and reliability poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
to the OP, i don't know why you keep referring to the prochargers like the "newer versions" are better, etc.. The P1SC1 or D1SC are the same units that they have been selling and have had in service for many many years. Buy prochargers with confidence, and don't worry about it man. You gotta know that for every freak horror story you hear about, there are hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied customers that have said nothing, because there was nothing bad to report. Same goes for all the people who do take the time to relay their success stories with procharger- there are hundreds if not thousands more with similar good results that don't post up about it..
Still giving out good advice, I see
Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i just read the link what a waste of time. Most of the people the wrote about the weakness are talking about tuning which should be done by the shop with your car not procharger. Some didnt like the way it sounds not a weakness of procharger or a bad design. My glock sounds different then my SIG handgun both work great. Or the were about imports not make enough power with a prochager blower and not knowing what pulleys for what boost every change to the car changes boost vs pulley sizes muffles/air temp/height above sea lever/ air filters / how many miles on your engine/ and lots lots more things. Few people had issues with hoses blowing off or air leaks. That install issues of who put it in. Not the Kit Im running 16 psi of boost though stock hose clamps If one blows off it my fault cause i only switch half over to T clamps so far which should be used in high boost cars. and Vac lines should be zip tied or very small hose clamps

There are a few that had some issues that could have been real.. But who know what happened for real Like the guy that lives a few miles from me said his blower blew up ( i helped install it ) I go look at it well He changed his piping and air filter and sucked the piping into the blower by forgetting to tight a hoses clamp. O he was pissed so he lie because He wanted it to be under warranty but I could see what happen to the impeller by looking at it and the messed up pipe. Im guess so could the maker of the unit he called and bitch to the maker. Im not sure what ever happened with it . But not the makers fault again

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 04-22-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Teching In

no problems with mine besides that same slight leak mentioned earlier
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well if you read on that posted link there were lots of very unhappy procharger campers. But happy that you and many others on here have had good luck. Its not cheap to get a new kit even for my lt1.
Many companies do have different revisions like magnacharger for example. fourth gen,fifth gen...

I see no reason for all those guys giving those reviews I linked to lie but some of those reviews were pretty old. Some were not that old however. I bought my aps kit and read on their website how the turbos were bulletproof and now finding maybe not. So just because procharger claims they are reliable and all that still want to hear it from people that are actually running them. And so far its looking pretty good.

I have been in two procharged cars near stock lt1 fourth gen and near stock ls1 with d1. Both were pretty impressive ,the ls1 was auto and needed a stall to get going or some more gearing. The lt1 was six speed and blew up when guy tried to tighen up the slipping belt too much. Engine was stock. He sold the kit so never did see it work with built motor.
My brother bought the ProCharger LT1 P-1Sc kit for his '95 Formula back in '02, and has not had any problems with it. No belt slippage or anything. Last year he got it into the 10's with it still being on stock original internals. Here is a link to it. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7 Bob
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good there guys..
What is lowest psi pulley I can get to run on my 96z28 with ps1sc or d1sc. I will have mac headers, CC305 cam,trick flow or afr 180 heads and would run the super for a few years at low boost then build a 383 or 396 all forged engine. I don't want to be blowing up the engine. Buddy blew his at think around 8 or 9psi on his p1sc setup stock bottom.
He is a good tuner so dont' think it was tune.
So what pulley choices? Are pulleys quick to change out?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Looking good there guys..
What is lowest psi pulley I can get to run on my 96z28 with ps1sc or d1sc. I will have mac headers, CC305 cam,trick flow or afr 180 heads and would run the super for a few years at low boost then build a 383 or 396 all forged engine. I don't want to be blowing up the engine. Buddy blew his at think around 8 or 9psi on his p1sc setup stock bottom.
He is a good tuner so dont' think it was tune.
So what pulley choices? Are pulleys quick to change out?
Well you could throw a 5.25 pulley on the head unit and make 2 to 4 psi of boost. A 4.50 pulley or so would be be more realistic. With a good tune there is no reason you can't run 8 psi of boost on the stock bottom end. My brother's Formula has been at 9 psi since '02.

How much boost the blower can produce depends on many variables.
* Cubic inch. The larger the engine the less boost it will make with a P-1SC.
* Headers and exhaust. A better flowing system will produce less boost, requires a smaller pulley to regain the loss in boost. Ultimately though, more power will be gained.
* Camshaft and heads. A camshaft with some overlap will leak out some boost through the valves. Better flowing heads react a lot like a better flowing exhaust system.
* Altitude. Elevation plays a big part in how much boost is produced. Those people living in the higher elevations have to spin the blower harder to see boost.
* Condition of engine. An engine with real good sealing rings will ultimately produce more boost than one with worn rings.
* Rpm. An engine that is spun up higher in the rpm range will normally produce more boost.

Bob
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Love my P1SC. Had it on since 2004 and 25k miles. Highly recommend them, no problems at all
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The head unit IMO will be the least of your worries or issues or expense.

Finding a good tuner, installing a cooling system that can handle the extreme under hood temps and IAT's, buying or fabbing a good FMIC along with all of the suspension and chassis parts you will need to handle the rwhp will be the issues you will spend the most money and time on if you do this yourself.

But you have an advantage. There is a big knowledge base now with lots of information, better software, better tuners, good fmic kits, good methanol kits, and more than one choice for oversize radiators in addition to lots of used parts compared to us poor souls who preceded you in the last 4-5 years trying this and trying that.

Built it right and it will last a long time.

PS: If you live in a very hot area of the US - do your research on cooling systems and do it all at once rather than piecemeal.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well wasnt' goin to link this but this is what I was reading when I searched under procharger reliability.But as said mabye most of this was from a few years ago and the newer models are improved. It would help if they listed them like p1sc third generation or something to that effect. I will for sure be getting new kit if do get one.

Here is that link of customer reviews..

http://www.carreview.com/mfr/prochar...5_2877crx.aspx
Yeah, a couple good reviews and one idiot that gave a stupid review which gave no helpfull info. Chances are he screwed it up himself.

Procharger makes awesome products and they keep getting better. I bought a used Procharger kit with a good amount of miles on it. I bolted it on and away I went. I now have put over 10K miles on it and have had no issues at all.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Teching In

I don't post much but I will for this.P1sc 2yrs spinning it to 60k no leaks no problems.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i have had Prochargers for many years, way before they came out with the self contained ones-always hated plumbing the oil lines-i feel the self contained ones were a big improvement-some of the early ones had bracket flex, making the belts a problem at times, and the early D1B's had some issues-i have had a few F2's, F1R's, D1SC's, no problems-i wouldnt hesitate to run one on an everyday car-i had a D1SC on one of my trucks, wasnt used everyday, but was used for towing and any out of town trip, worked great
Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

I've been running the **** outta my P1 for seven years, to where it's maxed out at the impeller. I've had zero issues, no leaks, nothing. The only complaint I have is the washers ATI supplied for the stock tensioner, which I replace with Grade 8 pieces.

The car sees consistent 10s on a stock bottom end and 600+rwhp.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

I love mine can't wait to turn up the boost...
Old 06-27-2009, 09:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Lets see, i have personally owned 3 new P1SCs, 2 used D1SCs and one new F1A over the last 8 years and have never had a problem with any of them. One D1SC would just seep a tiny bit of oil after a day at the track, one drop that would never make it to the ground.

They are well made pieces but just like any high stressed, high RPM mechanical part you are going to see some failures. Some are caused by abuse and some are material defects I'm sure. Like anything else the parts you dont manufacture yourself can vary from your specs without notice and by the time you find out its too late and people have problems.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Lets see, i have personally owned 3 new P1SCs, 2 used D1SCs and one new F1A over the last 8 years and have never had a problem with any of them. One D1SC would just seep a tiny bit of oil after a day at the track, one drop that would never make it to the ground.

They are well made pieces but just like any high stressed, high RPM mechanical part you are going to see some failures. Some are caused by abuse and some are material defects I'm sure. Like anything else the parts you dont manufacture yourself can vary from your specs without notice and by the time you find out its too late and people have problems.
That is good to know.

My D1SC still doesn't have 5000 miles on it but every time I hear the gears churning away at the revolutions they turn per minute you think - geez - how long is this unit going to last.

Mine has that one drop of oil hanging on for dear life at the bottom of head too. I suspect it's working its way out through one of the allen head bolts even though all are tight. Never does make it to the ground though.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
That is good to know.

My D1SC still doesn't have 5000 miles on it but every time I hear the gears churning away at the revolutions they turn per minute you think - geez - how long is this unit going to last.

Mine has that one drop of oil hanging on for dear life at the bottom of head too. I suspect it's working its way out through one of the allen head bolts even though all are tight. Never does make it to the ground though.
What happens is they build up a lot of pressure, after driving it for a while and its hot loosen the oil fill screw slowly and you will hear the pressure hiss out (dont unscrew it all the way or you will have a mess). With that much pressure and thin oil its bound to seep somewhere I guess.

Also if you have the hose hooked up from the valve cover to the hat like the kits come with engine oil will make it into the plenum. It will seep out between the gearbox and cover, there is no seal there. If you have the vent hose hooked up and the oil drop is black and dirty its probably engine oil. If the oil is green and clean its from the blower.

I agree, just listening to them you wouldnt think they wouldnt last long, especially the F1+ blowers with the higher step up. But they are pretty tough..
Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We have sold and installed many, many ProCharger systems and have had very few problems with them. Bob
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My d1sc exploded, but ATI gave me a great price on a f1a. Posted a thread with pics of the destruction, but was kindly asked to remove my thread. Not sure if its still around, but worth a search. F1A has been reliable.

Last edited by My2kz28; 06-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

My D1SC has been awesome. No problems at all.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

I've owned two Prochargers, a D1SC and F1A and both grenaded on us on a street car built for FI.

Quick Reply: Procharger problems and reliability poll