Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cheapest you can do a diy turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not spend the $3700 and get a QUALITY kit from KYTP?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be around 6k invested when done with mine including fuel/tuning/guages etc. Was probably around 2500-3000 for just the turbo hot/cold side, intercooler, wastegate, bov etc.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

i have 3k in it now. when i am done it should be around 4k, but that is everything including complete fuel set up and hp tuners!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All you need is the essentials....the actual means of connecting it can vary, the hotside is nothing but an exhaust system connecting everything. So you can do the piping for less than $100. if you have any know how of how to rig up some exhaust pipes.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
^^He's using 15lbs of boost. So there is no telling how long that thing is going to last. But I bet it's a blast to drive! He said it's just a introductory motor just to get him used to the tuning before he throws in a high dollar motor.
Mines all stock never been rebuilt running 15psi and a 50 shot of spray. 3 years and still running like a dream.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
All you need is the essentials....the actual means of connecting it can vary, the hotside is nothing but an exhaust system connecting everything. So you can do the piping for less than $100. if you have any know how of how to rig up some exhaust pipes.

Mines all stock never been rebuilt running 15psi and a 50 shot of spray. 3 years and still running like a dream.
You are one of the lucky few I'd say
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
why not spend the $3700 and get a QUALITY kit from KYTP?
Not every college kid has 3700$ laying around, or means of saving up that kind of money anytime soon. Not to mention I am going to need a rearend at some point soon.

I think if I shop around and sell off my nitrous stuff/stuff that I wont need anymore, depending on if i want fm or rearmount, i can get away with shelling out a grand or so.

I already have fuel, tuning, etc taken care of.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Not every college kid has 3700$ laying around, or means of saving up that kind of money anytime soon. Not to mention I am going to need a rearend at some point soon.

I think if I shop around and sell off my nitrous stuff/stuff that I wont need anymore, depending on if i want fm or rearmount, i can get away with shelling out a grand or so.

dont go rearmount with michigan roads it will suck trust me, and you have to deal with the oiling system which is POS.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Thats what I did and ended us spending 2,500 bucks. So don't plan on a grand. Also if you don't have springs and push rods, that's an added expense. And if you have to have someone tune it, another added expense. This **** adds up like no other.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Thats what I did and ended us spending 2,500 bucks. So don't plan on a grand. Also if you don't have springs and push rods, that's an added expense. And if you have to have someone tune it, another added expense. This **** adds up like no other.
I figured a grand or so net investment after selling my nitrous stuff. Valvetrain is beefed up already and i can tune my own stuff.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in college too (granted the Army pays for mine ) and I found a way to save for a kit working for walmart making $11.20. AND I've already spent tons on a STS kit... ran it for almost 3 years and decided that I'm gonna try the front mount. I already had the intercooler, bought a TC78 thinking I was gonna push the STS further, but then decided against redoing the whole cold side. To me, I wouldn't want to be cheap on something that would make my car have ridiculous amounts of power, but that's just my opinion

since December, I have purchased a 370 from speedinc and a bunch of other things (my checking account hated me that week ), the majority of the bigger fuel components (79#'ers and twin 255's) and KYTP's hot and cold side. the only performance part that wont be new on my motor is gonna be the oil pan and slightly used 6.0 heads and my cam (228/228 .588 .588 115LSA)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

I figured a grand or so net investment after selling my nitrous stuff. Valvetrain is beefed up already and i can tune my own stuff.
All I'm saying is don't count on it. I did the same thing as you want to do already. I sold my nitrous, exhaust, extra tires, radiator, fans, maf, and quite a few other things. Sure it helped quite a bit, but the expenses added up. Here's a few things I didn't count on doing:
-boost ref regulator and rails
-power steering lines
-coil relocation
-eboost2
-solid mounts
-hood

Those alone are expensive, just trying to give you a heads up thats all.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive been keeping tabs on this thread, as i have had my car about a month and cant really figure out what my plans will be for it. a budget turbo build sounds really great, so i hope the info keeps coming, for me and for other inquiring minds. something that has de. helped me is these lists of everything you guys DID NOT expect to pay for. so far im gathering that you can get away with everything minues fueling/tuning/etc. for around 3500-6000, for the most part. keep ti coming guys, this could turn out to be a great thread! sorry for the newb post lol.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

The essentials I wouldnt skimp out on. A wastegate, injectors and the turbo are all your key components. Then you can use an ebay intercooler, ebay BOV, and if you run truck manifolds all you need to get the exhaust from there to the turbo is some exhaust pipe from your parts store. A couple $5. elbows and your good to go, theres no science behind the exhaust from the head to the turbo even though people think those headers should cost more than a set of regular headers. If I was on an extreme budget and didnt make all the headers out of stainless, cost would be really cheap.
Turbo. Master power - $700ish new
wastegate $350-400. new
Intercooler and all the piping and elbows for it $189. Ebay new.
Injectors - $350 (60#) new
BOV - $50 ebay
Hot side piping - w/ flanges from old exhaust system. Less than $50 complete.
3" to 4" rubber elbow to go into the throttlebody $25.
2 bar map sensor $40 (?)
Threaded LT1 IAT sensor $20 (?)

Beyond that fuel system and tuning. I'd just add another pump to the one you got. Cheap and easy.
The BMW in my sig is a budget built car that even with the stainless headers doesnt even come close to adding up to $3k. and thats including the engine and trans also, and it doesnt look like a budget build by any means.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

hey dozerdan what ebay wastegate did you use? i'm doing a cheap turbo setup myself as a learning process
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Do'nt cheap on a wastegate..intercooler and blow off well not as critical although cheap intercoolers can leak and not be very efficient ,cheap blow offs could potentially hurt the turbo. But cheap gate can take out your engine pretty easily. Buy name brand name gates and make sure they are not knock offs. Tial or turbosmart are two good ones.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

you would use an expensive one even on a 7-8 psi setup?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Is this 7 to 8psi setup going to be a stock engine? For sure 100% then. Your gate lets you go past 7 or so and boom goodbye stock engine .On a forged engine still good to have proper boost. Now not sure if some of those cheaper turbos have internal gates or not. If they have internal then not talking about same thing. Externals usually give better boost control but internals can work ok. most factory setups are internal gates.

You can start cheaping out in a few areas but sooner or you later it will bite you in the ***.

The reason this stuff isn't that cheap is all the related stuff. You still need tuning for even 7 psi. In fact it better be dead on. You need like 42 or 60 pound injectors, you need a good fuel pump not stock.
You will need upgrades to stock auto trans they are pretty weak,better clutch in standard car. Better rearend if you put sticky tires on especially if you have an auto.Better valve springs.Different heads if you want to run much past 7psi maybe to 8 or 10psi.
Piping well if you get non beaded might be seeing you couplers blow off a lot. Cheap silicone couplers can also not work so good as can cheap clamps.T bolt are best in that area with quality silicone.
You can go cheaper on intercoolers although wouldn't personally. You can even run alc/injection and no intercooler and still do pretty good.

As said we have local guy with forged engine with master power turbo some gate I have never heard of think jgz or something and same blow off.It was doing ok last season low 11s at 126mph but not sure what happened he was a lot slower so far this season but not blaming setup not sure whats up This is in a third gen. And still think it was around 3000 or so for his turbo,piping, gate and blow off, fuel support, tuning.He is on stock rearend and stock trans but not for much longer it will die. At least he did his engine.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ccrider
you would use an expensive one even on a 7-8 psi setup?
Doesnt matter how much boost you run, if a cheap wastegate fails you'll have no boost or as much boost as the turbo can crank out... = really fast for a second then BOOM and a yard sale of parts laying everywhere. The one thing not to go cheap on is the wastegate....it controls all.

My old procharged setup I used a $20 BOV off ebay that came stock on a talon or something of the nature. It worked fine. Intercoolers on ebay are pretty good. Pressure test it before you put it in and if it leaks send it back, they are garanteed not to leak if you buy a new one from a parts dealer on there.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default Turbo LS1 In 67 Camaro

wrong post

Last edited by 67LS1T56; 06-05-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Budget and turbo build shouldnt be used in the same sentence! Hahaha

Quick Reply: Cheapest you can do a diy turbo?