Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trying to find highest Hp/boost on stock heads and where weld 5 bolt on stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find highest Hp/boost on stock heads and where weld 5 bolt on stock heads

What the highest hp/boost run on stock heads i know they start to push water at 1000 RWHP but i saw a thread where some one weld the 5th bolt hole on the out side of head and ran more power with out pushing water.

anyone remember that thread? or what the highest hp run on stock casting was ?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

this good looking guy here talks about what you want to get into with ERL

http://www.erlperformance.com/index....id=10%20class=
Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't waste your money trying to modify a stock head,just get a good set of aftermarket heads to start with-even an unported head will make decent power on an f/i application
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto, get a decent set of heads, have Shawn do the double o-ring, so far its held to ~1600hp in Brian's car(fireball)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a good set of unported heads. had a few set backs so dont have to much money to play with right now but i have the a 6 bolt block so i wanted to at least use the 5th bolt hole
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
What a good set of unported heads. had a few set backs so dont have to much money to play with right now but i have the a 6 bolt block so i wanted to at least use the 5th bolt hole
If you have the technology to do this yourself, then go for it. I think that what the others are saying is that it would cost a good chunk of change to pay to have this done. You're having to weld 8 tabs on the heads. then you have to mill them down to get a flat surface and then there is the question of compromising the rigidity of the head from the heat of the tig. Something about having to recure the head or something. I remember a thread way back about someone welding the coolant passages up on a set of AFR heads and then they split or something. It turned into a big pissing contest with AFR saying that you cant just weld and mill the deck because there is some process required at the end. Seems like alot of bullshit to go thru for some junk stock heads.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always swap out to 6-bolt heads when you free up some $$$ in the future.
I will wind up going the double o-ring route at some point, but for now I will beat up on the stock L92's while I use the remaining $$$ to finish the rest of the car.
Those of us without the benefit of sponsors or an unlimited checkbook have to make build decisions and compromises based on budget and limit the HP accordingly.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank Guys i was going to do all the welding and work on the heads my self which would have save me alot of money. But i got lucky and ordered the Trickflow 245 heads but i had to cut it to the nearest penny and my *** will be eat soup for the next month.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
If you have the technology to do this yourself, then go for it. I think that what the others are saying is that it would cost a good chunk of change to pay to have this done. You're having to weld 8 tabs on the heads. then you have to mill them down to get a flat surface and then there is the question of compromising the rigidity of the head from the heat of the tig. Something about having to recure the head or something. I remember a thread way back about someone welding the coolant passages up on a set of AFR heads and then they split or something. It turned into a big pissing contest with AFR saying that you cant just weld and mill the deck because there is some process required at the end. Seems like alot of bullshit to go thru for some junk stock heads.
That was Noyzee's thread. After welding they need to go through a rehardening process due to the heat messing with the treatment. There was also one where W2W welded the extra two bolt holes on a set of AFR heads.

Quick Reply: Trying to find highest Hp/boost on stock heads and where weld 5 bolt on stock heads