Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Mechanical Boost Controller Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default STS Mechanical Boost Controller Questions

All -

Can anyone inform me how to properly use / adjust the STS mechanical boost controller?

I have one, but my installation 'instructions' from STS have zero information on the boost controller.

There is a input port, output port, and a notched mechanical dial (on top), and I assume righty-tightie; i.e. - full right equalls fully closed, but I'd like some input from someone here who has actually used one on their STS installation.

I know it is placed in the boost reference line from the turbo to the wastegate, and it bleeds off the signal to the wastegate, but I want to make sure that there are no surprises.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the **** out, turn it fully left (out), make a mark on it with a paint pen or Sharpie. Now turn it in (right) four turns. You should be ~8psi.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shawn_c992001
Pull the **** out, turn it fully left (out), make a mark on it with a paint pen or Sharpie. Now turn it in (right) four turns. You should be ~8psi.
Exactly. Turn fully counter clockwise then clockwise 3 or 4 turns then take a test run a adjust accordingly to the boost level you want.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Follow up question(s)

Originally Posted by shawn_c992001
So, you mentioned pulling the **** up / out - is there ever a time (post adjustment) when you push it back down?

I'd hate to leave the **** up when it needs (at some point) to be pushed back down...

Addionally, if turning the **** all the way left is zero / no venting, and turning the **** to the right vents the signal prior to the wastegate; then, if I understand your above instructions, turning the **** to the right vents allowing less boost signal to be sent to the wastegate - correct?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by great421
So, you mentioned pulling the **** up / out - is there ever a time (post adjustment) when you push it back down?

I'd hate to leave the **** up when it needs (at some point) to be pushed back down...

Addionally, if turning the **** all the way left is zero / no venting, and turning the **** to the right vents the signal prior to the wastegate; then, if I understand your above instructions, turning the **** to the right vents allowing less boost signal to be sent to the wastegate - correct?
When your done adjusting to the boost level push the **** back in to lock the regulatior so it doesn't accidentaly get un-adjusted.

Turning counter clockwise lowers boost and clockwise raises boost.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the directions!

I'm gonna install this controller right after I replace my plugs and wires - it only took 6.25 hours to replace just the LT1's plugs last year!

: )

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
When your done adjusting to the boost level push the **** back in to lock the regulatior so it doesn't accidentaly get un-adjusted.

Turning counter clockwise lowers boost and clockwise raises boost.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by great421
Thanks for the directions!

I'm gonna install this controller right after I replace my plugs and wires - it only took 6.25 hours to replace just the LT1's plugs last year!

: )
Been there plenty of times! Good luck and hope for a new record.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the STS instructions want you to get vacuum from T by brake booster. Is there any pros or cons from grabbing the vaccuum at the turbo? Also any problems with STS system or electronic function if the vacuum isnt drawn from front?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vipvegas
I thought the STS instructions want you to get vacuum from T by brake booster. Is there any pros or cons from grabbing the vaccuum at the turbo? Also any problems with STS system or electronic function if the vacuum isnt drawn from front?

if you reference the boost controller from the turbo, you will have a pressure drop across the intake piping and intercooler. So for ex, 8psi at the turbo could really be 6-7psi at the intake manifold.

Referencing from the intake manifold or brake booster pretty much takes care of this pressure drop so the engine will be seeing the same boost that the controller allows.

Quick Reply: STS Mechanical Boost Controller Questions