Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

roots vs twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eb02z06@ChampionMotors
that run's 10.9's with a tailwind in November.
He is also running nitrous which will have an impact on the IAT's.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
He is also running nitrous which will have an impact on the IAT's.

Obviously not too much for the 10.9 pass
Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another Vette recently finished his Kenne Bell with all the upgrades. Did absolutely everything Jeff told him to do except let Jeff do the install. 402 with a 2.8 only made 584rwhp. Jeff promised him 750rwhp+. Didn't happen. Jeff blamed it on the tuner. We all know that when it comes down to making the #'s, if everything's mechanically sound, it comes down to fuel and spark and if you're reasonably close, you're not going to be losing much power from that. Customer pulled it off and will have his 750+rwhp this week with a YSi blower.
One more update. Jeff has been blaming the power loss on the inlet and promising to make one. How difficult is that? He's been promising for 2 years. He doesn't care to take care of his existing customers and #2, he didn't get the results from the one he built that he mouthed off about. So we have all of these customers with these Kenne Bell blowers that have been promised they would make all of this power and so far none have. I've said it once and I'll say it again. If you want a big shoe box looking heat pump on your car, this is for you. If you want to make power, walk away from this one guys.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on whats causing the low numbers? Blower too small, intake elbow, intercooler, heat exchanger, something else?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I believe it's a combination of things. The heat exchanger is only a hair off the floor of the intake manifold and forces the air to make a hard 90 degree turn to get to the head ports. From the 250 degree IAT's at the end of the quarter mile, I would say it doesn't exchange much heat. The intake in the back doesn't work. I have seen these blowers make over 700rwhp on smaller, Ford motors, so I know at least slightly better numbers are possible. We're talking about a 2.8l blower here, so I don't see how the blower is too small. The 1.9l Magnuson TVS is making more than the Kenne Bell and doing it consistently. MTI has done plenty of builds with this little monster with great success. He's saying there's some C5's out there for the nay sayers such as myself, but he hasn't posted them yet. Even before he got into this current shop 9 months ago, he was selling this stuff out of his garage at his house and making big promises. It's been going on for years now. Now he's got a big shop to pay for he's trying to do everything in-house and he's claiming to be a top notch engine builder all of the sudden and better than LME and Texas SPeed by his own words.

I am curious to know if they're overspinning that blower as Kenne Bell will void the warranty for that. We'll see when the #s come out.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 10-05-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

I had one of these setups on my corvette. I think the problem is the blower is fine for smaller cubes but on big cubes it just cannot support it for what ever reason. I think when you pay 9000.00 dollors for a system you shouldn't have to try and figure out anything on it. It should make the JAM and it just doesn't make it. I saw 250 degrees IAT's at the end of a 1000ft run using alot of meth on it also. On 14psi made 647rwh on a 403 on 24 degrees timing.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love these debates... complete lack of engineering discussion and just alot of 'opinions'
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanO
I love these debates... complete lack of engineering discussion and just alot of 'opinions'
I think Mine is a little more than opinion since I owned one of these heat pumps.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
I think Mine is a little more than opinion since I owned one of these heat pumps.
owning does not equal complete engineering understanding.

no offense, just stating a fact

There is so much information that needs to be understood by everyone to begin having a good debate, that just isnt possible on an internet forum.

Last edited by DanO; 10-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I don't own one (cause I R poor...), and as much as I'd like a TVS style blower for my application, here's a plug for Bob @ EPP...

Easy HP with a good tune = Bob.

Customer service matters.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to see what that 4.0 Whipple does. The intake looks a lot taller then the KB so hopefully that translates into much lower IAT's from a larger intercooler.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DanO
owning does not equal complete engineering understanding.

no offense, just stating a fact

There is so much information that needs to be understood by everyone to begin having a good debate, that just isnt possible on an internet forum.
I'm no engineer. Most of us aren't and shouldn't have to be. My opinion is that for 9k, a customer should be able to bolt it on and make some jam. I'm not talking about laser aligning belts or any reasonable amount of tuning and tweaking. I'm talking about tackling all of the issues this one has and making power. That blower has its purpose. The problem is the promises that were made to solve this problem and never came to fruition after 2 years. If you tell someone this'll make 550rwhp, then there's no lie there, but to post up a dyno sheet showing 800rwhp and tell everyone your motor will make if you build a good motor, that isn't acceptable. Jeff loves to brag and exaggerate about anything and everything he can. From how much time he spends on the phone with his customers to how big his office is. Based on that, if he did one of his "1000's" of customers cars that made any decent power, I guarantee he would be posting it everywhere. Go to his website and you'll see the only car he has on his "customer cars" page is an 06 convertible that made ~550rwhp. You can make that kind of power with an old Magnuson 112, a Procharger P1SC, Vortech Si-trim or any other type of entry level supercharger for half the price. Also N/A with a well built 408.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Maggie FTW

Quick Reply: roots vs twin screw