Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally starting the rebuild on the SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally starting the rebuild on the SS

Broke this thing over 2 1/2 years ago on my first 8psi run at the track. Left soft and shifted slow, just checking things out. It was making a clackety clack noise at the end of the track. I was really low on oil too, my fault. I sounded like a rod bearing, but who knows...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...58-a_76254.htm

It's a long story, but recently I became free to do as I please with it. Pulled it out the bottom cradle and all with a cherry picker, some floor jacks and jack stands.

Number 7 Piston was broken in the ring area:

Looks like a couple of rod bearings got a little warm. They didn't appear to have spun yet.

All the rest looks real good. The cylinder walls are unscathed as far as I can see and the mains all look good. The block and all the other parts look good too.

Now for all the decision making.

Assuming the crank and block are good, I'm going with a slightly lower compression (9.5 vs. 10.5) forged rods and pistons, bigger turbo (old one was T67), big intercooler and eventually E85. Should I just rebuild it with forged components (rods and pistons) or get crazy with an LS2 block, stroker crank, etc.?

Also considering a front mount turbo system that keeps the A/C. I don't like anything currently on the market. The APS system looked promising at first, but their turbos are taking a crap on too many of the owners of those systems. I like the simplicity of a big single anyway. As of right now, the A/C must stay.

Last edited by enginjoe; 07-14-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, how do I make the pics smaller? Sorry guys...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the piston broke like that, there is a big possibility the cylinder wall has some damage.

if i where you i would not try to fix this motor, i would just buy an lq4 and work from there, an ls2 would be even better but it is allot more money
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for the cost its worth the small investment to go with the Iron 6.0.. and nice forged rods and pistons...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If there is cylinder wall damage, I can't see it. If I decide to try a forged rebuild, I'll let the machine shop take a look first.

I don't want iron due to the weight, but I would really like a bit more displacement.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I don't want iron due to the weight, but I would really like a bit more displacement.
I don't blame you... You'll just have to open your wallet up for cubes either way, and especially to stay alum.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Launching!

all that right there is my biggest fear so far.. im planning on staying stock cubed LS1 as well. just have to cough up the money for the pistons and rods
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just hate to not do it all right the first time. If I rebuild, the most I could do is 383 without re-sleeving. Plus, around here, it's not like there are well known/respected LSx engine builders to do the job. I'm looking around at the options...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I just hate to not do it all right the first time. If I rebuild, the most I could do is 383 without re-sleeving. Plus, around here, it's not like there are well known/respected LSx engine builders to do the job. I'm looking around at the options...
Ann iron block will cost less than re-releeving your old block. Just make up for the extra weight with power.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
Ann iron block will cost less than re-releeving your old block. Just make up for the extra weight with power.
True, but I'm already down on power due to the fact I live at altitude and high temperature. I've pretty much decided not to re-sleeve. I'll either stick with the block I have or go nuts with an LS2 or really insane with an LS3.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Good luck with the build.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

True, but I'm already down on power due to the fact I live at altitude and high temperature. I've pretty much decided not to re-sleeve. I'll either stick with the block I have or go nuts with an LS2 or really insane with an LS3.
or an ls7
Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by elias_799
or an ls7
402 or 408 better for boost.

Have the stock block inspected by a reputable shop that knows these engines, if it looks ok, find a good matching turbo, if not, go with the 402/8. It will be hard to go big with turbo and keep AC tho. Might want to look into aftermarket Kmember for more room to run lines and piping, etc.

Quick Reply: Finally starting the rebuild on the SS