Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Calling out APS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009 | 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
C6 or C5? The C5's O2 placement is just behind the turbo's, nothing to run above the tunnel plate. Next time I'm in there I'm going to put extensions on and attach them forward of the bell housing since I'm running a LS3 pan now and have some extra room. That's IF we keep the O2's on in the first place seeing as how lazy they are with the positioning.
Right, I run an extension from the factory harness so it's easily plugged into the o2 sensor. I then pull the wires back over the tunnel plate and zip tie them up.

If you don't do this then yes, you need to remove the manifold/downpipe or downpipe in order to get to the factory plug.

Fwiw o2 response has been great on all of the APS cars we have done.
Old 08-23-2009 | 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Not sure what you don't like about the downpipes on the aps standard kit Greg.
I loathe this

and love this

And no more Y-pipe crap. I want a full 3" and two mufflers. And no more using standard band clamps anywhere. I've had an exhaust rattle since 2003 because NO band clamp has held my Y-pipe and I-pipe together, not even when N/A. Hopefully VASpeed would be able to do this come spring.
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! I take a vacation for a weekend and my thread just keeps going!

Originally Posted by RDeputy150
Bad word of mouth is the venomous snake of the business world, the initial bite stings...but it's the rapidly spreading poison that can kill ya (or seriously injure an appendage).
With the popularity of this thread on the Internet it really wouldn't surprise me if APS sees a large profit hit this quarter.

Originally Posted by RDeputy150
That being said, just a couple of I'm-not-a-lawyer-so-this-is-not-legal-advice points:

1) for those looking to reproduce certain parts, please thoroughly investigate any patenting issues with regard to parts and design (if you haven't already)

2) Should anyone be considering any sort of civil action, most notably claims of misrepresentation, carefully document and securely store all web page information or messages you've received that you believe constitute this
2.5) call a real lawyer, cause I"m not one
As I've said before I'm buying a used APS kit and am gonna look into getting certain parts copied. I don't give a damn what APS says about it.

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
back to the op, i think peter might have already talked to a lawyer and thats why he is staying out of this. im sure he told peter to stay out of this on lay low.
That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Originally Posted by Firebirdgm2000
Hey peter I hope you got a last good chuckle chuckle, giggle giggle, wokka wokka on screwing over pretty much all your customers........... In that note I have posted a tidbit to our neighboring communities.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ml#post2504750
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...815#post328815
http://www.350zforums.com/showthread...=6148#post6148
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...44/#post650931
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ml#post2566729
http://www.evoforums.net/engine-ecu-...tml#post238754
http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/f...tml#post804740
http://modernhemi.com/forums/showthr...=2847#post2847

I have also taken the liberty to e-mail all the vendors listed on your website.... you burn us as a whole and toast us a drink? wow
The "wokka wokka" part made me laugh, I remember watching that stuff when I was a little kid! On a serious note; it looks like you posted up on quite a few forums! Unfortunatly ClubWRX erased your thread. It would be very interesting if a member on that forum gets a faulty turbo and then finds out that there was an erased warning thread.

Wow you guys are getting just plain silly now. So you are going to buy the manifolds ,then what. You need to buy real 20gs, you need to fab up the exhaust housing, You need to fab up the downpipes..you think the downpipes are just whipped up by 5 year old kids? Do you know how tight clearances are in these f bodies??
So then you fab up all the other pipes, figure out where the got their intercooler...

You are not going to copy this kit with mickey mouse backyard fabricating.. dream on. It would take jigs and very precise measuring. You may think the entire kit is junk just thrown together but you are wrong. The turbos are knockoffs, the rest of the kit was pretty high workmanship and design.

Just hope whoever is fabbing up these aps copycat kits don't go under on you while they are doing it.
Maybe we are getting a little silly. The thing is if we could get manifolds that would be one major part done. If we could get manifolds and an intercooler the only major parts we would need is cold piping and downpipes. My plan for my kit is APS exhaust manifolds, APS intercooler, filter>turbo and turbo>intercooler piping custom done by me, and finally custom downpipes (if needed). Friday before I left on my little weekend excursion I send BMR an e-mail about possibly building me a turbo K-Member with solid motor mounts. That way I would have the most space for Filter>Turbo and Turbo>Intercooler piping. I'm not a professional turbo kit builder by a long shot but I think I have this under control.

Originally Posted by DaGreightOne
What turbo would you replace them with? Are there any options to upgrade the turbos, other than LGM? For example, putting a larger intake housing on them with a better bearing and compressor wheel...
I'm not sure on what exact turbo I would use. Turbonetics is a ways from me but not out of driving distance for me. My dad rebuilds Garrett Turbine engines so we know some high up guys at Garrett and Honeywell (Garrett's parent company). I figure between those two I'll have the turbo situation taken care of.

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Alright people, put him to the test...

Send him your turbos ASAP.
With APS's questionable customer service I would be a little afraid of sending my turbos to them.

Originally Posted by veee8
Here is the reply I received from the Chinese manifold manufacturer....

Dear Chris Crawford,
Good Day!
Many thank for your kind inquiry and it's our desire to do business with you.

We are professional manufactory of making exhast system, our products ranged includes Exhaust Manifold (casting and beld welding), Header, Downpipe, Catalyst Converter, Muffler, Endpipe and accessoried like silicone hoses, flanges, clampes, intercooler etc.

All the Exhaust Manifold we sold is designed by our clients, they provide the sample or drawing and we make R&D, so I don't know what's the application it for. And we can not sell them to other clients.

And if you can provide the drawing or sample, we can make R&D for you, and also the product is belong to you which means we won't sell them to others.

If anything I can do for you, please be free to contact me.

Looking for your reply and have a nice day!

Best Regards

Clark Chen
Sales Manager of Auto Parts Dept.
Zhejiang Materials Industry International Co.,Ltd.
Tel.No.:+86-571-87051182
Fax.No.:+86-571-87054570
Mob.No.:+86-13958178550
E-mail:clark@china-autoparts.cn
2009-08-24
E-Mail them back and see what it would cost to get manifolds made. I have no problem having technical drawings made up of my APS manifolds and sending them to Zhejiang as "my own design".

Originally Posted by ls1greg
I loathe this

And no more Y-pipe crap. I want a full 3" and two mufflers. And no more using standard band clamps anywhere. I've had an exhaust rattle since 2003 because NO band clamp has held my Y-pipe and I-pipe together, not even when N/A. Hopefully VASpeed would be able to do this come spring.
In the first pic the downpipe was obviously made for a M6 car. Also, V-Band clamps FTMFW!
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:29 AM
12 Second Club

man thats beat
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg forget you have a 4l80 in there ? Does anyone have a 4l80 with the top fitting on for electronic boost controller? It does suck for changing springs it looks like. I should have stayed m6 but autos and turbos get along so much better together.
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Nope, OEM 4L60E. And it never had that 2mm clearance APS claimed. That waste gate cover was always pressed firmly against the pan.
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you didn't grind anything to make more clearance. Calongo think sent me some pics of his 4l80 swap but he ground a bit on passenger side and think notched bell housing on drivers side.

I would think it would obviously be hard to change out springs on that side. Have to unbolt the gate and then take off hat on the bench or would have to pull tranny to get to the gate springs?

Wonder if some other make of gates like turbosmart might fit on there and give a bit more clearance. already swapped out the aps blow offs to better turbosmart ones.
Old 08-24-2009 | 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, all good information here. Hope no reputable sponsors get stuck with any in stock kits.
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the warranty claims, and sending the turbos back at your cost.

What happens if you send the turbos in, and peter keeps them, just to get one last "F -YOU" in?
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:23 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone wishes to ship something to Australia, the best way to do so is via the US Postal Service. The cost to do so is about 1/2 of what it is to ship via Fed-Ex or via UPS. Each item shipped needs to be below 44 lbs.

I would recommend one of the new USPS flat rate boxes, and ship each turbo in a separate box. The cost is quite reasonable to do so comapred to other methods.

If APS does not wish to sell turbo kits, then perhaps they would be willing to allow someone to buy the manifolds from their supplier so that another shop can fabricate kits using those manifolds.

I am wondering if the best option is just to send out the Chinese turbos to a US rebuilder and replace the CHRA with a Mitsubishi unit if the OE APS turbo fails.
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I am wondering if the best option is just to send out the Chinese turbos to a US rebuilder and replace the CHRA with a Mitsubishi unit if the OE APS turbo fails.
That might be, but man doesn't it suck to have to pay for a turbo twice.

APS probably knows that, and figure it's less work for them since people will take care of it themselves...

What a shitty deal.
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Garrett gt35Rs would be sweet for sure. I already bought the msd starter figured to get some extra room anyway although not 100% sure its going to fit without making some adapter according to aps.

The LG upgrades are ok but not BB and not Garrett. Still 70lbs of airflow minue is still lots and has potential for 1400 or so engine hp. More than enough for me especially when combined with my direct port nitrous .
I will just be idling the bigger turbos as only want to have a 1000rwhp max sometimes just on turbo alone but sometimes combined with spray as option. Past 1000rwhp think would feel better with a LSX block build and 6 bolt heads and have to upgrade my fuel system more.
But 1000rwhp is nuts power anyway.

Not sure what you don't like about the downpipes on the aps standard kit Greg.
Only think I am not crazy about is you have to pull starter to change out o2s. Although was just going to put 02 in back bung which isn't used and might not even require an 02 extension.
It can be hard to change out the springs in the gates it looks like with 4l80e swaps like I am doing. I was thinking to put in 10psi min spring in there but since will be getting the upgraded likely LG turbos better to have maybe 7.5 springs and then should be able to get to 15psi or so tops. But it might take 10psi to be able to get to 20psi .Usually you can get to about double the gate springs. And having biggger min springs defeatst the purpose a bit of being able to ramp in the boost by rpm ,time or gear.
Well I understand why the GT35r(s) wouldn't fit and plus the 20g downpipe wouldn't bolt up to the different exhaust housing on the GT35r. But is there not anyone that would be willing to upgrade ours as opposed to buying LG's turbo upgrade for $2800? I read something about buying center sections for the 20g (which I have yet to find) so why couldn't we do that and just send it off and have it upgraded? ie better bearings and if at all possible high flowing compressor wheels and maybe even a stronger shaft.... Wishful thinking, maybe but it doesn't hurt to ask...
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I didn't sign the APS forum.I was scared to lose my money.So I called josh at kentucky turbo and I am having him build me a Twin 67 set up for my 441 LSX 6spd street car.he was very helpful and helped me out.can't wait till I hit the streets
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i read the first 10 pages on this thread and must say APS FTL. I feel like Peter the representative of APS gives the lamest answers .....amateur
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just redicuous.
I'm guessing that they are going out of business. I can't imagine any company that plans to continue business just let this ***** tarnish their reputation like this. Not mention his own. Good luck in the automotive world. I'd be scared to show my face at ANY event.
I did a google search on APS and this thread and several others including the GTO forum are linked to this thread. We need to do everything we can to warn potential customers outside of the forum world so, for search engine references:

APS turbo customer service APS turbo quality APS suck APS rip off APS chinese turbo turbos knockoff Air power systems quality Air power systems junk APS turbo fail APS (Absolute Pile of Shitaki) APS fitment APS f body APS GTO APS corvette APS G8 APS lancer evolution evo APS 350z APS g35 subaru sti wrx canada australia APS performance aps twin turbo tt APS peter issues APS turbocharger system crap
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by peter@aps
No plans for producing any turbo systems for the new camaro.

Cheers,

Peter
i had actually talked to a distributor of your in the columbus area and they said they are currently working on a twin turbo setup for the new camaro with your kit. it was on a l99 car.
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaGreightOne
Well I understand why the GT35r(s) wouldn't fit and plus the 20g downpipe wouldn't bolt up to the different exhaust housing on the GT35r. But is there not anyone that would be willing to upgrade ours as opposed to buying LG's turbo upgrade for $2800? I read something about buying center sections for the 20g (which I have yet to find) so why couldn't we do that and just send it off and have it upgraded? ie better bearings and if at all possible high flowing compressor wheels and maybe even a stronger shaft.... Wishful thinking, maybe but it doesn't hurt to ask...
Today i shipped 2 bad APS turbos off to Forced Inductions, so i'll have answers to what can be done or not. I wanted to ship them to APS, but at this point i dont trust them and will just find better ways on own. As for those center sections, i've seen them on ebay.
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:22 PM
Teching In

well, i was really excited to get the APS twin turbo kit on my 2010 camaro. but now, im not so excited. does anyone have any recommendations for a twin turbo setup for me since APS is out of the question now?
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
well, i was really excited to get the APS twin turbo kit on my 2010 camaro. but now, im not so excited. does anyone have any recommendations for a twin turbo setup for me since APS is out of the question now?
LMR!
Old 08-24-2009 | 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS
LMR!
the single turbo?

Quick Reply: Calling out APS