Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whipple f-body kit :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
3.3 is weak sauce.....Go big and cut the cowl or go home!
LMFAO.... uh no weak sauce is not the word id use to describe a 3.3L whipple blower. lol its rated at a max of 1000 hp. besides why would you cut your cowl if you don't have to.
Old 01-28-2010 | 12:36 PM
Launching!

yeah. Weak my ***. that was just a stupid statement.
Old 01-28-2010 | 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

I emailed that dragon company and they promptly replied:

"1) How is the manifold designed to reach the rear heads? It seems as if the S/C sits very forward of the rear 2 cylinders. Is some sort of elbow used?

2) Is some sort lower k-member supplied with the f-body kit or does it remain untouched?

3) Is EVERYTHING(barring tools) needed to install the S/C come with the kit?

4) Do you by any chance have any dyno graphs/videos available of the S/C on an fbody?"

"Thank you for the complements let me address your questions

Their answer:

1. The patented intercooler design distributes the air evenly throughout the manifold…discharge from the blower is actually in the center of the manifold

2. With the F-Body kit shims are included to lower the front K-member 3/8”

3. Right now we are only offering a tuner kit but it does include everything except tuning, injectors, air intake, fuel pump booster, and thermostat that is needed for installation. Everything besides the tuning is offered separately of course…and if you have access to hp tuners or similar tuning hardware we will send you a base file to start with. A complete kit including tuning and the air intake with the LS3 sensor should be available in the next few months

4. Power graphs should be posted on our web site if they’re not…they will arrive soon but the supercharger pretty much makes the same power regardless of platform given its pulley.

On an F-Body the 4.6 pulley makes approx 475 rwhp and torque…the 4.5 pulley makes a little over 500 rwhp and torque. The variances are entirely due to header, intake, and exhaust restrictions.

Thanks for your interest,

Peter"
Old 01-28-2010 | 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Like the Dragon concept, but not their execution.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...gineering.html
Old 01-28-2010 | 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
yeah. Weak my ***. that was just a stupid statement.
Wow....it was a joke. Relax.
Old 01-28-2010 | 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jontall
I Like the Dragon concept, but not their execution.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...gineering.html
Looks "interesting" to say the least...
Old 01-28-2010 | 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Frankenstein looked 'interesting' too, and just about as well constructed.

Jim
Old 01-28-2010 | 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Didn't look too bad to me. Just seems a bit low on produced power for what it is. Seems like everyone and thier grandma can push a N/A forged, and purpose built 346cid to near 500 or better. Why would you spend upwards of $7k on a blower to just get the same? I would wonder if thier intercooler is as efficient as they are saying. And then, a 4.5 or 4.6 pulley isn't going to push the blower too hard. Looks like a conservative setup. I wonder how hard you could actually push this setup with pulley changes before you hit the efficiency avalanche point?
The other problem with these blowers is putting all the instand power to the pavement. Its been brought up, but traction is going to be a BIG issue.
Thirdly, the windshield in these cars are designed to be part of the sructural integrity of the body. Lopping all kinds of area and sharp corners isn't going to do crap for the longevity of the windshield.. glass or lexan. But I'll hide and watch.
Old 01-28-2010 | 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

It's a 5-foot setup. Which means it will look clean as long as you stay 5 feet away. If you look closer, unless I knew I was getting a prototype, I'd be pissed.

And they liberally used Teflon tape on the fuel rails, which is a BIG no-no. If a piece of tape comes off inside, it could clog an injector in a heartbeat. Under boost, that cylinder would go mega-lean.

Jim
Old 01-28-2010 | 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see a larger belt. I doubt much boost is possible with that small of a drive.
Old 01-29-2010 | 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Didn't look too bad to me. Just seems a bit low on produced power for what it is. Seems like everyone and thier grandma can push a N/A forged, and purpose built 346cid to near 500 or better. Why would you spend upwards of $7k on a blower to just get the same? I would wonder if thier intercooler is as efficient as they are saying. And then, a 4.5 or 4.6 pulley isn't going to push the blower too hard. Looks like a conservative setup. I wonder how hard you could actually push this setup with pulley changes before you hit the efficiency avalanche point?
The other problem with these blowers is putting all the instand power to the pavement. Its been brought up, but traction is going to be a BIG issue.
Thirdly, the windshield in these cars are designed to be part of the sructural integrity of the body. Lopping all kinds of area and sharp corners isn't going to do crap for the longevity of the windshield.. glass or lexan. But I'll hide and watch.
very true but now imagine that thing on a 402 ci or a 427 ci motor ud be makin mucho torque.the kit is in its early stages, but it shows much promise, besides that kit would spank an eaton 112 blower, not 2 mention its a twin screw. the kit also fits under the cowl without cutting, that alone is a leaping step forward. its just my 2 cents, but i think with the right setup, one could make 700+ rwhp easy, especially now that mast motorsports came out with small bore L92 heads. .
Old 01-29-2010 | 01:21 PM
Launching!

those heads are sweet, but the $$ to get them. you can damn near buy a whole L92 engine.

I wish the company luck, I hope they refine the kit and it's successful, maybe price will go down.

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
very true but now imagine that thing on a 402 ci or a 427 ci motor ud be makin mucho torque.the kit is in its early stages, but it shows much promise, besides that kit would spank an eaton 112 blower, not 2 mention its a twin screw. the kit also fits under the cowl without cutting, that alone is a leaping step forward. its just my 2 cents, but i think with the right setup, one could make 700+ rwhp easy, especially now that mast motorsports came out with small bore L92 heads. .
Old 02-21-2010 | 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
It would spank an Eaton blower in pedal to the metal action. But the new 2300 series blowers were designed for total efficiency. Not just full throttle supremacy. The 2300's bypass setup is nice if your car isn't just a drag and race toy. I agree wholeheartedly that the Whipple would be a monster on a 427 simply because of its air support for the extra cubes. But again, putting that kind of instant power to the pavement without building a purpose built drag car will be a serious problem.
This is the reason that turbo and centrifugal systems do so well in stockish cars. The power isn't as instant, doesn't shockload the drivetrain, and is easier to put to the pavement.
I'm not really crazy about spending that kind of money on smallbore heads just to bring a 346 cid up to tech -when it would have to be rebuilt anyhow to take full advantage of heavy boost- when the LS3 heads breath just as well for a fraction of the price, and can be put to a 427 for roughly the same price as the built smallbore.

Last edited by 108dragon; 02-21-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: grammatic error
Old 02-21-2010 | 02:02 AM
9 Second Club

Are you serious? Where did you learn that? I'd like to know how you were convinced that the paper thin metal under the plastic cowl provides integrity to anything on the car. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2010 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninetres
Are you serious? Where did you learn that? I'd like to know how you were convinced that the paper thin metal under the plastic cowl provides integrity to anything on the car. Thanks.
I think all this talk about windshields came about when the auto mfg's started using urethane sealers to install the glass. I remember working in a body shop back then and a big deal being made about it. The windshields are now an "integrated" part of the body assem. This does add a small amount of rigidity but doesnt become a strength component to the car. At any rate, cutting the cowl doesnt bother a car like this. Hell, I bet when all the tubing goes in it, the cowl and windshield area will be way stronger then it was before. No doubt its got sub frame connectors and such as well.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Grab yourself a collision repair college textbook. Its been in there since at least when I graduated in '94. lol
I wasn't referring to the metal, but thats an issue too. I was referring to the non radiused relief cuts in the windshield itself. When the windshield cracks, it'll be there.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

Grab yourself a collision repair college textbook. Its been in there since at least when I graduated in '94. lol
I wasn't referring to the metal, but thats an issue too. I was referring to the non radiused relief cuts in the windshield itself. When the windshield cracks, it'll be there.
I plan on cutting a portion of my cowl out to accomidate a sideways intake elbow. I would like to read where you learned that the paper thin metal on 4th gen Fbody is an integral part to support the winsdsheild. What book is that in exactly?

I looked at my car again after reading this and can't possibly imagine how cutting a part of that thin metal out.......that's inches away from the windsheild, would cause any issue what-so-ever.
Old 02-26-2010 | 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on cutting a portion of my cowl out to accomidate a sideways intake elbow. I would like to read where you learned that the paper thin metal on 4th gen Fbody is an integral part to support the winsdsheild. What book is that in exactly?

I looked at my car again after reading this and can't possibly imagine how cutting a part of that thin metal out.......that's inches away from the windsheild, would cause any issue what-so-ever.
Perhaps you should consider an English course as well. I was originally referring to the windshield, and clearly stated as much. I also clearly stated my reasoning. As far as the metal goes: I would suppose that you would have far more insight into the engineering that went into its being put there than the guys who designed the car to begin with. If you want to chop up your car, please don't let anything I'd have to say deter you from it.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 04-09-2010 | 08:39 PM
Teching In

Any additional news on the f-body kit?

Quick Reply: whipple f-body kit :D