Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whipple f-body kit :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theyre rapping up the 5th gen ls3 camaro and c6 vette kits right now. once they have that complete i'm sure it shouldnt be to complicated to make the f-body tuner kit.

heres a pic of the ls3 5th gen camaro kit

Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Launching!

yea like, 2 yrs from now
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now, you can only buy a sandrail kit, trim the glass, bolt on/fab an elbow and go. I'm thinking now it might be smart to wait for the new whipple kit. At least whipple is finally making an effort. Last time I talked to kenne bell, they'd hear none of it as far as an 02 f-bod is concerned. Personally, I now think its good that I ran out of money when I did. I originally intended to use a 10rib 3.3 sandrail kit, relocate the wiper blade and cut the glass. I've got the motor back in the car, all the stuff for the fuel system, and now just need the supercharger kit. Just $6k away, LOL! The only concern I have is that the intercooler wont be adequate.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

I have always wanted a roots style supercharger on my 99 SS. There is a TA done by RMCR Performance in Colorado from an article in GMHTP. This is the first set up that looks like something I would pay for. This is the link.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._am/index.html

I know it is not a Whipple, but is still roots style and does not look like a misplaced turbo.
P.S. I applogize if the link does not turn out right, first time trying to get a link in a reply and it is very long.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Awesome, but ya know that has to hit the cowl, look how close it sits...

Originally Posted by BOONEY7750
I have always wanted a roots style supercharger on my 99 SS. There is a TA done by RMCR Performance in Colorado from an article in GMHTP. This is the first set up that looks like something I would pay for. This is the link.

I know it is not a Whipple, but is still roots style and does not look like a misplaced turbo.
P.S. I applogize if the link does not turn out right, first time trying to get a link in a reply and it is very long.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Wow, 12,300+ views on this thread and no one has a concrete answer...

Well boys, the answer is on our own LS1TECH forums, in the forced induction section like this very thread.

Please take a look at this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post13203382
Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no reason a person would buy a system with a 6 rib on a 3.3 whipple. Thats a waste.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
Wow, 12,300+ views on this thread and no one has a concrete answer...

Well boys, the answer is on our own LS1TECH forums, in the forced induction section like this very thread.

Please take a look at this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post13203382
yea thats the Dragonrace whipple kit, if i had the money id get on in a heartbeat, however they still have some quirks to work out on the kit, although it shows great promise, they were the first ones to put a reliable twin screw kit on the f- bodie, lol faster than whipple, like i said if i had the money id buy one in a heartbeat, but for a budget build ima gettin an STS Turbo.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
yea thats the Dragonrace whipple kit, if i had the money id get on in a heartbeat, however they still have some quirks to work out on the kit, although it shows great promise, they were the first ones to put a reliable twin screw kit on the f- bodie, lol faster than whipple, like i said if i had the money id buy one in a heartbeat, but for a budget build ima gettin an STS Turbo.
I wonder what's needed to be done to get that to fit. It doesn't even look like they cut the cowl at all. I'd put up the picture, but don't want to be banned. Maybe I'll host it myself and then post it, but whatever. I'm guessing they dropped the k-member some to get the added room needed. I'm following the thread on the corvette forum, and I want to see how it does with controlling the heat issues. I think a nice 7psi of boost would be quite fun on the street with instant torque at idle.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I wonder what's needed to be done to get that to fit. It doesn't even look like they cut the cowl at all. I'd put up the picture, but don't want to be banned. Maybe I'll host it myself and then post it, but whatever. I'm guessing they dropped the k-member some to get the added room needed. I'm following the thread on the corvette forum, and I want to see how it does with controlling the heat issues. I think a nice 7psi of boost would be quite fun on the street with instant torque at idle.
i'm sure the intercooled version would most likely need the cowl modified a bit. unless the intercooler is really small.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Launching!

nope, i already talked to Peter about it, it utilizes the the stock cowl, no mod required. they do shim down the k-member tho, 3/8 inch if im not mistakin.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is what I'm talking about...

That's more room than my current FAST intake I bet.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
nope, i already talked to Peter about it, it utilizes the the stock cowl, no mod required. they do shim down the k-member tho, 3/8 inch if im not mistakin.
wow, its hard to believe that the massive 3.3L whipple can fit under the cowl w/ only a 3/8" spacer, when the much smaller maggie mp112 needs the spacer and modified cowl. but then again if its gear drivin then it might not need as much room back there, since the maggie utilizes the pullies and belts there.

by the last picture it actually does look like it utilizes a belt system. intersting that only a 3/8" spacer is needed. props to them none the less. i'll still wait for Whipples 2.9L

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
I see no reason a person would buy a system with a 6 rib on a 3.3 whipple. Thats a waste.
looks like there might be belt clearance issue if they went with an 8rib setup. i was wondering the same thing. "why only a 6 rib?" after looking its mighty tight fit.

Last edited by Killer_Z; 04-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
If you go on the Dragon Pro Street Engineering website you can upgrade to an 8-rib and even a 10-rib. They say the 8-rib is good for 700-1000HP and the 10-rib is 1000HP+.

You are right though, 6-rib on a 3.3L Whipple is a waste because there is so much potential might as well get the 10-rib and get it over with.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

now thats what i'm talking about. imagin this bad boy 2.9L whipple in an F-body. 9psi on 2010 LS3 camaro with 91oct gas, put it over 600whp.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

what do these whipple run(cost) for our cars
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

i think the tuner kit is about 6grand. they havn't came out w/ an f-body tuner kit yet. they wanted to complete the LS3 vette and camaro kit's first then they'll work on a tuner kit. if another company managed to put a whipple 3.3L intercooled in an f-body with just spacers then this 2.9L kit will hopefully only require that as well, as its smaller then the 3.3L and way more efficient due to new screw technology.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BOONEY7750

Yeah, that's mine.

BTW, I saw the Dragon Race kits at the Denver auto show not too long ago and I wasn't impressed.

These whipples that they're getting to fit on the 5.3's and **** are really just roots blowers and not twin screws.

But I bet that twin screw on that 427 is gonna be one wild ride! Can't wait to see it finished.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-14-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Yeah, that's mine.

BTW, I saw the Dragon Race kits at the Denver auto show not too long ago and I wasn't impressed.

These whipples that they're getting to fit on the 5.3's and **** are really just roots blowers and not twin screws.

But I bet that twin screw on that 427 is gonna be one wild ride! Can't wait to see it finished.
Whipple only makes twin screws. so why do u say Whipple are only making roots blowers to fit the 5.3's?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
Whipple only makes twin screws. so why do u say Whipple are only making roots blowers to fit the 5.3's?
Let me rephrase that since neither of us can see the rotor design, or maybe it was shown on an earlier page, I'm not sure.

But some of Whipples superchargers have also been called by them and their dealers as "screw type" and not necessarily "twin screw". The lines between roots and twin-screws are getting more and more blurred as the technology and configurations continue to evolve. Roots type blowers today are not the same as the original roots blower of 1800's and the original patent. The original roots was designed to remove smoke from mining shafts. Obviously they did not have all the various types of rotors, helix's, male and female lobes, drive types, etc. Not to mention the different ways that companies are marketing a new spin on the same old thing saying that there direct displacement blower, pump, or compressor is more efficient than the next with words like "screwcharging", "twin vortices", etc. etc.

What kind of supercharger is the E-force anyway?

The closest resembling supercharger to a roots is found on top fuel dragsters.

If I'm correct that blower pictured above is the Whipple 200AX. I imagine it's more efficient than mine but I can't compare the sizes just by looking. I would imagine it is bigger. The fact that it has an external jackshaft and the location of the inlet in regard to the outlet, and with it's gear drive makes it very similar to the so called roots type that I have with rotor design aside.

No way that the one in the dyno video is gonna fit under an f-body hood. Funny it didn't show a dyno graphy of 800hp. It didn't even do a pull on that video. Anyone can fit a huge blower on an engine while it's on an engine dyno. Also what else was done to that LS1. 800HP is some huge claims for a bolt on kit that is "in the works".

I'm sure that I could remove the one that I have and install that 200AX with no other changes other than tuning, but direct displacement blowers have been fitting under f-body cowls for awhile. It is a pain in the *** I know, but I think some of you guys are underestimating the power that the "roots type" blowers are putting out. When I spoke to those guys at Dragon Race about their Whipple setups and what kind of power they were getting it wasn't much more with them running several lbs. more boost.

It doesn't matter what type of positive displacement blower you go with, at some point you are going to be limited by space. You may be able to go a little crazy with it as seen earlier in the thread, but it's going to take serious work, time, money, and fab skills. If you want your windshield notched and a big blower hanging out to top of your 4th gen than go for it. These blowers kick *** on an LS1.

However, I see no discernable difference in the torque and power curves between my setup and a whipple type supercharger. I've run up on several guys with their kenne belle's and whipples who thought they stood a chance only to get smacked down really hard . When Mustang guys see under my hood they **** their pants. The same goes for procharged cars. My setup does not "fall on it's face" like alot of people claim and have mentioned it would. I don't notice any heatsoak. I'm not going to get into a debate over what supercharging method is superior and I won't compare supercharging to turbocharging either. I just happened to go the route that I did. I just wanted something different than a procharged or vortech blown car and that's what I did. AND I got ink!

There just seems to be too much information on something so unpopular and difficult such as putting a positive displacement blower inside a 4th gen. I'm making really good usable power at very high altitude. Almost 520 corrected to the rears with a little more torque at 3400 on only 6.5 lbs. on a very conservative cam and stock heads. RMCR could have tuned it for another 20. I still have a good bit of room to play. I'm sure with forged pistons, stock cubes, and a properly matched H/C setup I could turn it up to 10 lbs. with more RPM's and hit 600. Then what? Meth? Nitrous? E85?

You don't need to wait for a whipple.

I can't wait to see what it's gonna do on the S60 and 4.10's I just ordered.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-14-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: whipple f-body kit :D