Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whipple f-body kit :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrp
I had an HVT2300 on a 9.0:1 408 GTO. I loved the fact the hood fit on the GTO. I loved everything about it but I could not get the 8 ribbed serpentine belts to stop slipping. I could not maintain 18 lbs of boost consistently. We finally figured that the compressor size of the 2300 was a limiting factor. Here is the 2300 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgVi...eature=related

Here is the 4.0 Whipple in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXILjvEJXTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrHjEVLNgok

Who needs a fricken hood , oh yea, we got the HVT to 806/760 at 6300 rpm. The Whipple got to 800/800 at 4500 where the belt let loose. I saw nearly 21 lbs before we had to go to the cogs.
ive watched your build for a long time! i just wish they made a kit for cathedral port heads.. and got iat's down. a 2.9 would look soooo good on my ls2.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've taken a number of steps in that area on this time around.....I'll keep posting.

Here is the final mock up with the mounting bracket for the remote thermostat in place. We may have to shim it all out a little more. Also instead of the NPT to 1.25 hose connection we will probably go with an 1" NPT to -12AN fitting.

Better view of the remote thermostat mounted.

Last edited by wrp; 04-30-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Any good word on this kit, and where Whipple stands with it?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I PM'ed one of the Whipple sponsors on here with no reply... Whipple = FAIL
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Walkabout
Any good word on this kit, and where Whipple stands with it?
Last I heard they were finishing up the c6 vette kits then they were gonna do the ls1 tuner kits. The current ls3 camaro kits might work on forth gens with ls3's. Who knows.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Here is the scoop for anyone still following this thread. I did not read the entire thread because, well lets face it, I would be here all day (I read slow. LOL) so forgive me if anything I post has already been said.

The kit in question is our 3.4 and 4.0 LS hot rod/sand car kits. These were never designed to be put into an F-bodied car. The F-body stated is the accessory drive system. This is what the kit is designed to work with. F-body pulley spacing.

As for a "true" F-body kit for the Camaro and Firebird, we are looking into it. We have the 07-11 Full size truck and SUV done now as well as the 10-11 Camaro and C6 LS7, LS3, LS2 Vette. Next phase is the 03-06 Full size, GTO, G8 GT/GXP, Caddy CTSV, Trailblazer SS, and F-body (not necessarily in that order). All (except full size) will use our 2.9L front feed blower like the 5th gen and C6 kits. Best thing to do is flood our emails with interest for the F-body until it is released. At least this shows us there is enough interest in this kit still.

Any questions, email, call or PM me.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Whipple
Here is the scoop for anyone still following this thread. I did not read the entire thread because, well lets face it, I would be here all day (I read slow. LOL) so forgive me if anything I post has already been said.

The kit in question is our 3.4 and 4.0 LS hot rod/sand car kits. These were never designed to be put into an F-bodied car. The F-body stated is the accessory drive system. This is what the kit is designed to work with. F-body pulley spacing.

As for a "true" F-body kit for the Camaro and Firebird, we are looking into it. We have the 07-11 Full size truck and SUV done now as well as the 10-11 Camaro and C6 LS7, LS3, LS2 Vette. Next phase is the 03-06 Full size, GTO, G8 GT/GXP, Caddy CTSV, Trailblazer SS, and F-body (not necessarily in that order). All (except full size) will use our 2.9L front feed blower like the 5th gen and C6 kits. Best thing to do is flood our emails with interest for the F-body until it is released. At least this shows us there is enough interest in this kit still.

I say get after it!! I am trying to figure out where to go for my next blower. I'm "used" to my maggie already and want more. I was thinking of going with a TVS2300 but it will require quite a bit of fab on my part. It would be awesome to see a company actually dedicate a kit specifically to the Fbodies.

Hell if GM can squeeze and LS9 into an Fbody surely Whipple can smoke their asses with an actual kit designed for these cars.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

hell why dont you guys make a kit for my wifes kia before the f-body. I mean dam they stoped making the car in 2002 and still NO KIT. I'll stay with my plans of going turbo and forget that whipple exist like they forgot the f-body exist.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I say get after it!! I am trying to figure out where to go for my next blower. I'm "used" to my maggie already and want more. I was thinking of going with a TVS2300 but it will require quite a bit of fab on my part. It would be awesome to see a company actually dedicate a kit specifically to the Fbodies.

Hell if GM can squeeze and LS9 into an Fbody surely Whipple can smoke their asses with an actual kit designed for these cars.
Working on it. CAD data shows we can do it with minor mods. Especially with the new 2.9 front feed. Just have to get the interest for it. I am printing every email I get and giving it to "Higher Powers" to show we still have a market.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maro69camaro
hell why dont you guys make a kit for my wifes kia before the f-body. I mean dam they stoped making the car in 2002 and still NO KIT. I'll stay with my plans of going turbo and forget that whipple exist like they forgot the f-body exist.
Really? I come on here to let you guys know that we are actually working on a kit for these and to help try and push it to be built and you give me this? I know everyone has their opinion but dam, a little harsh don't you think?

The reason we never came out with the kit when these cars were new is because we had no way to make them fit. If you remember, back then we had the old side mount non intercooled LS kits for the trucks and SUV's. Was not worth making a $4500 kit that would require the customer to hack up their car and a mandatory hood replacement. GM did not give us much room to work with. NOW we have a brand new front fed supercharger that may actually fit. this is why we are just now planning a kit for the Gen 4's. Hell, the 2.9FF has only been on the market for about a year.

We never forgot you, just took a while to finally meet you.

Good luck with the turbo build and I honestly hope it works out for you and you are happy with it. If you change your mind, let me know. We will be more than happy work with you.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Really? I come on here to let you guys know that we are actually working on a kit for these and to help try and push it to be built and you give me this? I know everyone has their opinion but dam, a little harsh don't you think?

The reason we never came out with the kit when these cars were new is because we had no way to make them fit. If you remember, back then we had the old side mount non intercooled LS kits for the trucks and SUV's. Was not worth making a $4500 kit that would require the customer to hack up their car and a mandatory hood replacement. GM did not give us much room to work with. NOW we have a brand new front fed supercharger that may actually fit. this is why we are just now planning a kit for the Gen 4's. Hell, the 2.9FF has only been on the market for about a year.

We never forgot you, just took a while to finally meet you.

Good luck with the turbo build and I honestly hope it works out for you and you are happy with it. If you change your mind, let me know. We will be more than happy work with you.
But you guys sure came out with a kit for the 5th gen/C6 fast, you guys should have been working on the front fed units way back in 98 when the ls1 camaros came out but nope you guys just looked they other way tell you finally make a kit that you can just push to the 4th gen.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maro69camaro
But you guys sure came out with a kit for the 5th gen/C6 fast, you guys should have been working on the front fed units way back in 98 when the ls1 camaros came out but nope you guys just looked they other way tell you finally make a kit that you can just push to the 4th gen.
I was not here back in 98 so I can't say what the deal was back then but I do know the front feed was not even a thought and the LS motor was brand new. I can say that back then Whipple only employed about 12 people and only made kits for GM trucks. We came out with the Gen 5 first because it was new to market. Had we started with the F-body, we would not have much sales coming into that market 8-13 years late. Most have either gone turbo, magie, built N/A or other forms of power adders. Now that we have the Gen 5 and C6 recouping the money it took to design and produce the front feed, we can explore more options to market. We did not look the other way, just didn't have the funds, man power or technowlagy back then to make the best kit possible like we do now.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm interesting. Was planning on Procharger but I always wanted a Whipple license plate just couldnt ever drive a Cobra..
Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man id sell my girlfriend, shoes, and two front teeth to see whipple make a intercooled 2.9 that will fit the f-body. would fit just damn peachy on my ls2'd 86 camaro
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

I would love a Whipple for my F-body!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would buy in a heartbeat
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jesus Christ maro60camaro or whatever the ****! Chill man, I'm glad they still talk to us. If you want to go turbo then go. Quit being a little bitch about the whipple. If I was them I damned sure wouldn't want you as a customer anyways. Besides Mike is obviously just the messenger. Remember, we dont shoot that guy.....

Mike thanks for actually taking the time to explain WHY you guys couldn't produce a kit long ago. It does make sense when you put it in perspective.

Though this board is big we are still a "nitche" (sp) community of car enthusiasts, we aren't the mass public nor the mass revenue that we would like to think we are. So I get why you guys went for what would make you the money. Most company's do that anyways and once they have some room to play then the make **** for us.

I think anyone would understand that if they look at it from any other perspective than the drivers seat of a 4th gen.

He camaro, why dont you call GM and jump their asses and tell them to start making firebirds again, hell while you're at it tell them to bring ****** pontiac back too. I'm sure they'll get right on it.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love a Whipple kit as well
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Jesus Christ maro60camaro or whatever the ****! Chill man, I'm glad they still talk to us. If you want to go turbo then go. Quit being a little bitch about the whipple. If I was them I damned sure wouldn't want you as a customer anyways. Besides Mike is obviously just the messenger. Remember, we dont shoot that guy.....

Mike thanks for actually taking the time to explain WHY you guys couldn't produce a kit long ago. It does make sense when you put it in perspective.

Though this board is big we are still a "nitche" (sp) community of car enthusiasts, we aren't the mass public nor the mass revenue that we would like to think we are. So I get why you guys went for what would make you the money. Most company's do that anyways and once they have some room to play then the make **** for us.

I think anyone would understand that if they look at it from any other perspective than the drivers seat of a 4th gen.

He camaro, why dont you call GM and jump their asses and tell them to start making firebirds again, hell while you're at it tell them to bring ****** pontiac back too. I'm sure they'll get right on it.
dude you mad? All I said was this should have been done years ago then mike said why it wasent, and we know that they did the 5th gen and C6 first for money but just seems like this chould have been done almost a decade ago. Now dont get me wrong I LOVE a roots style blower just as much as anyone else. Mike I was not trying to knock down whipple at all just would be nice to not be talking about this kit for another 3+ years. A F-body kit would be great and cant wait to see it.

Last edited by maro69camaro; 10-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

thanx for giving us an update Mike, as u can c i've been pushing for a Whipple S/C for the F-body. glad to c u guys actually considering it more and more. Really hope u guys make a kit for us. ur only an hour a way from me so i'd b more than happy to be a tester .

Quick Reply: whipple f-body kit :D